Attaching Support Units to Divisions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

MickM2

Attaching Support Units to Divisions

Post by MickM2 »

Is there a way to attach SUs to divisions whereby you can pick the individual battalion? I'm trying to attach high morale SUs but unable to as if there is more than one battalion of the type I want the computer attaches randomly so I could end up with a low morale SU, defeating the purpose of what I was trying to do.
Thank you
Mick
Peltonx

RE: Attaching Support Units to Divisions

Post by Peltonx »

Russian no German yes

Russian Corp can attach them
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Pelton is not exactly complete.

Your question, as I understand it, is whether or not you can hand-pick an SU to assign to a division/corps (German/Soviet respectively).

Not a specific SU unit by morale, to a Division/Corps, No.
Your observation is correct that when multiples of an SU type are available, selection is random.
If you wanted a specific SU in a specific Headquarters, you could do that (by re-assigning the SU to another HQ).

On the other hand, you don't say why you are wanting to assign high morale SUs; there is little difference in a combat outcome related to the morale of support units. The primary combatant CVs (largely influenced by morale) and leadership rolls are far more important. I don't concern myself with SU morale; just that they are present and their TOE value.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
MickM2

Post by MickM2 »

Helio

Thanks for that, Pelton's response did leave me scratching my head (Pelton - Likely my misunderstanding of your explanation). My intention is to crack some heavily entrenched soviet formations and rather than rely on a dice role for SU inclusion I want to ensure maximum numbers of SUs are included in the attack. And, I want them to be the best support units available, so their morale and their TOE percentage will need to be considered. If I see that a mountain artillery SU is the best unit available I can click 'Assign' and I can be almost absolutely certain that specific unit will be on the pick list as mountain artillery units are rare. But if I want to attach the best Pioneer unit I can't because there are probably 5 or 6 other Pioneer battalions in the chain of command and the computer will randomly choose one of them which could be the one with low morale, not much experience and hardly any TOE. Hope that makes sense.
Mick
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Mick M

Helio

Thanks for that, Pelton's response did leave me scratching my head (Pelton - Likely my misunderstanding of your explanation). My intention is to crack some heavily entrenched soviet formations and rather than rely on a dice role for SU inclusion I want to ensure maximum numbers of SUs are included in the attack. And, I want them to be the best support units available, so their morale and their TOE percentage will need to be considered. If I see that a mountain artillery SU is the best unit available I can click 'Assign' and I can be almost absolutely certain that specific unit will be on the pick list as mountain artillery units are rare. But if I want to attach the best Pioneer unit I can't because there are probably 5 or 6 other Pioneer battalions in the chain of command and the computer will randomly choose one of them which could be the one with low morale, not much experience and hardly any TOE. Hope that makes sense.
Mick

I assign then to the divisions.

What I do is assign them to OKH then the next turn you can put them in any division you want.

morale is huge and misunderstood by most.

read 9.1

So it effects training which means how good units fire and hit targets.

So high morale artillery ect ect are much more effective in combat,
so as I do put all your high morale SU's in the highest morale divisions under the highest morale leaders.

The results are big smashing throw fort walls.

Gun SU's need to be under high morale and high initative leaders
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Remember that you cannot attach artillery SUs to individual units.
Where "cracking a prepared position" is concerned, Leningrad and Sevastapol are great teachers.
1 Engineer, 1 Stug, attached to an 80+ morale division; that will be a Grossdeutschland-style performer. Really quality. Again, I do not concern myself with the morale of the SUs themselves. If it's really a tough nut, add another pioneer or Stug. And in the corps HQ, have 3 artillery, 1 pioneer, and 1 heavy artillery. In the Army HQ, have a 2-4 more artillery, including 1 or 2 heavy.

High rating commanders and high morale divisions will be a better focus of your mental energy. I'll trade 1 Morale 8 commander for minus-20 on all the morale 80 SUs in the game.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”