Wish List

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
berto

Wish List

Post by berto »

A new Wish List thread.

Much will overlap with older TOAW III forum wish list threads, but hey, here's the place to re-emphasize some wishes!

The first of my many wishes: For turn/phase resolution and playback, please give the option to play back, stop-and-start (via some hot key) individual unit/stack movement; individual battle; etc.

Not continuous, not from beginning to end without pause! Too fast for me, still too fast even with the slow-down option.

Or if not step-by-step, then continuous, but with the ability to pause the action at any time (by toggling the space bar, for example).

This may be my personal biggest problem with the older, traditional TOAW UI. I've got other complaints. But this one is maybe at the top of my list. The single biggest thing (there are others) that detracts from my enjoyment of the game.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
governato

RE: Wish List

Post by governato »

For me, as a scenario designer:

make the formula for a unit strength (19.1.3, page 69) : equipment strength x (2 x proficiency + readiness + supply) / 4

editable, as in:

unit strength: equipment strength x (C1 x proficiency + C2 x readiness + C3 x supply) / 4

(for the math minded: much better if C1+C2+C3=4)

This way one could:

1) distinguish better between ancient armies (where proficiency/morale was all important) vs modern armies, where if you run out of bullets and fuel..well, it's just not good.
2) It'd fix the 'units with 1% supply can still fight!' common complaint. And if one likes it the old way, just leave it alone in the editor.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Player-changeable formation attachements - especially for larger formations such as Corps and armies
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
siphoenix

Post by siphoenix »

siphoenix

Post by siphoenix »

lecrop

Post by lecrop »

My wish, equipment info pics capability:

Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Yeah, that would be nice. Second that.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Also this is nice, don't you think this will add complexity to scenario designers? It is already lot of works to add a correct TO&E since some equipment files must be customized to add some of them. Adding quality pictures for each of them may be a challenge especially for old ones.

And, the game/scenario size will increase, that's a cost as well for a scenario depot.

Cheers
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Also this is nice, don't you think this will add complexity to scenario designers? It is already lot of works to add a correct TO&E since some equipment files must be customized to add some of them. Adding quality pictures for each of them may be a challenge especially for old ones.

And, the game/scenario size will increase, that's a cost as well for a scenario depot.

Cheers

You're right. Not so much complexity because I think it's easy to find pics on the net, but yes, that would increase the size of scenarios. No problem with the stock scenarios, but what about custom ones you have to download? That could be a problem. On the other hand, assuming there will be a stock equipment database, it could already contain pics, just like, for instance, the equipment base in Steel Panthers WaW... And if scen designers added some new equipment, they could then also add new pics, perhaps...
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

In-hex rivers has always been a game breaker for me. Never could take it seriously as a result. Put rivers on hex sides and I'll be a buyer.
Freyr Oakenshield

Please, add some sort of list displaying the units that are currently travelling by rail. In FitE, it's often a nightmare trying to find them on the map, especially after a longer break between PBEM sessions.
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Please, add some sort of list displaying the units that are currently travelling by rail. In FitE, it's often a nightmare trying to find them on the map, especially after a longer break between PBEM sessions.

No need. You already have it. Use the dot buttom. It cicles through all the entrained units.

Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

No need. You already have it. Use the dot buttom. It cicles through all the entrained units.

The dot button? What's that? Where is it?[X(]
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Ditto on that - what, where? Huh? why didn't someone tell me this already::

[&:][;)]
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: timmyab

In-hex rivers has always been a game breaker for me. Never could take it seriously as a result. Put rivers on hex sides and I'll be a buyer.

And just to show how fickle the buying public is - no, please dear god no!!

There are thousands of games with river shapes brutalized to fit hex sides that bear only a passing resemblance to a real map - let TOAW say a bastion of a much better system!
Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

The dot button? What's that? Where is it?[X(]

Phew! It's just a the full stop key on the keyboard...[:D]

Unfortunately, it doesn't offer exactly what I want. It may be good for smaller scenarios, but circling through the entrained units is only possible if you actually disembark them. In large scenarios such as FitE, the distances are so large that you sometimes need to transport units for two turns. So, disembarking them while circling through them is a bit of a nuisance.
orabera

Post by orabera »

Second, third and fourth. Every time I start back with TAOW, I'm turned off again by this truly goofy feature. I'd rather see tortured hex-side rivers than see Buda and Pest separated by a 50km wide river.
"As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: orabera

Second, third and fourth. Every time I start back with TAOW, I'm turned off again by this truly goofy feature. I'd rather see tortured hex-side rivers than see Buda and Pest separated by a 50km wide river.

Or you could have the river flow through a city hex and call it "Budapest".......
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

I don't mind the in hex rivers so much, but TOAW seems to act like you are actually in the water or very close to it if you are in a river hex. That needs to be improved.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
Or you could have the river flow through a city hex and call it "Budapest"
I don't actually object to rivers going through the middle of city hexes. I believe there are some games that will allow this and I think it should work fine.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”