Development Thread #01- Why?

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Development Thread #01- Why?

Post by Jason Petho »

Why Middle East?

Middle East is a natural progression for the series. Due to the time span (1948-1985) it provides an excellent opportunity to portray the various battles from the end of the Second World War to near the end of the Cold War. There are many weapon systems portrayed and experiencing the tactical differences in combat between a 1948 battle and a 1973 or 1982 battle makes one eager to experience more.

A lot of thought has gone into the scenarios chosen to be included with the first release. In most cases, they are battles that provided both sides an equal opportunity of victory, regardless of whom actually won the battle. In addition, each of the scenarios attempts to teach the player (or players) a tactical lesson. Of course, these lessons changes as the decades progress.

Why are you using the Campaign Series engine instead of something new and flashy?

Good question that has a few answers.

1. I have been a fan of the series since its inception. I have seen the improvements over the years but most importantly, saw the potential in the series with a competent programmer to take the series further than it has ever been before. That programmer has been found and, quite frankly, he's a magician.

2. I have looked and have not found an engine that can do what I wanted it to do without dumbing down the Campaign Series experience. The Campaign Series, in my humble opinion, is similar to chess in the sense that it is very easy to learn but rather difficult to master. That being said, our programmer has taken the experience to a new level, added some additional complexity to ensure that the playing experience will be refreshing and capable of replayability.

3. The team is intimate with the Campaign Series engine, file structure and design. We were well aware of the limitations and did many things to either remove those limitations and/or and design Middle East for expansion.

Peever

RE: Development Thread #01- Why?

Post by Peever »

Yesterday I find a nice surprise that TOAW3 gets one last patch and today news of another Campaign Series release. Loving the return of all these classic strategy games.

Will this game be focusing on real battles/conflicts upon release or will there be some Cold War turns hot type fiction scenarios?
"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

The initial release will be focusing on real and historical battles.

In the future, you can expect at least two additional titles that are already under development; Vietnam (which will cover 1948-1979) and Cold War (spanning from 1948 to 1985/89).

Vietnam will be focused on historical/real battles.... from the French in Indochina to the USA in Vietnam to the Sino-Vietnam Conflict.

Cold War will have some historical/real battles but will be heavily focused on fictional (but historically plausable) timelines and situations. (For example, proposed invasion of Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis - what if it went hot?).

Don't forget that our games are living gives, we will continue to support and update them (for free, same as we have been doing with the Campaign Series).

Jason Petho
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Quite interesting. What do you view as key technological or other combat differences during this new period? I know my WWII but this period less well.
--Helicopters I gather..
--Anti-tank tank missiles? -- these modeled unusually?
-- new c&c mechanisms?
Other?
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Are there dynamic campaigns? These were a nice idea but not very well implemented.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Helicopters, definitely. Their introduction into combat operations (Suez Crisis, the French in Algeria).

Combat Helicopters (armed gunships, ATGM gunships)

The progression and advancement of infantry weapon systems. From what they are carrying to how they are using it.

Tank and anti-tank effectiveness. One has to learn how to deal with the growing number of ATGM's on the battlefield (keep in mind, this only goes to 1985 for now)

Night Vision. There are a number of vehicles that incorporate IR equipment, which takes night fighting to a whole new level.

AAA and SAM's and how they are modelled.

Organizational structures and how they changed over the decades. I spent a vast amount of time developing as historical organizations as I could (for the Organization Editor, did I mention that comes included in the game along with a map editor and scenario editor?). Many countries went through a plethora of changes over the decades(the USA, for example, went through many changes between 1948-1985 - it will be included in Vietnam)

The ability to set and use IED's.

The introduction of civilians into the game. Some gain you victory points, some cost you victory points. One must learn how to effectively deal with them.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

At the moment, no, there are not Dynamic Campaigns.

Most of the conflicts we are covering only lasted a short period and can easily be covered with Linked Campaign Games.

Jason Petho
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sounds very interesting, will it be coming to beta here or done in house?
[&o][&o][&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Done in-house. It's nearly complete.

Jason Petho
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ok ty for the update and reply
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

No problem at all.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Jason Petho
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Interesting feature set, especially adding civilians. What about high FOW in terms of identifying units or getting ambushed.. Will that come in Vietnam?

I always appreciated the historical introductions in the old CS. It would be much appreciated if you could highlight these changes in scenario notes. Or in a perfect world maybe list the sequence of scenarios within the 65 that would step by step show this evolution. I don't see myself playing all 65 so having such a list to work through (say 10?) would be of great interest.

Thanks for all your team's hard work. I look forward to an education along with the fun :)
berto

Post by berto »

I can't say if "high" FOW addresses the issues you raise. But you should know that in Middle East (and all other games going forward, including the forthcoming Vietnam), the games' Extreme FOW is newly more ... extreme.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”