Web based WITPAE PBEM Viewer

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RoryAndersonCDT

Web based WITPAE PBEM Viewer

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Hey guys, in my spare time I've made a web based WITPAE PBEM viewer to teach myself how to write ASP.NET MVC websites.

This uses the excellent WITP Tracker to help generate the data for the website.

Allies-Only Map

Japan-Only Map

Combined Map

Pearl Harbor makes a good example for a quick tutorial on the Operation Glacier interface. I followed War in the Pacific UI as best I could, so if you are a WITP veteran the UI should Just Make Sense.

Clicking on the red circle brings up the comments made on that hex.

Clicking on the red 'X' up top brings up all the events that occurred on that hex.

The anchor icon brings up all the ships disbanded in the port.

If we click on the BB Maryland link we get a neat graph of damage over time along with information about the Maryland and its [s]class[/s].

If we click on the float plane detachment we get a whole pile of graphs for this unit. I swear these graphs will get more interesting after the first turn...

Back to the map! Clicking on the little square with an X through it in the lower left corner brings up the 'land combat units' in this hex.

And selecting one... Huh, I wonder what happened on the 7th!

And finally, the little Task Force icon in the bottom right!

Finally, one can change the underlying map as well as apply filters to the visible units. (More filters to come! Suggestions very welcome!)

Open source: https://github.com/Baloogan/OperationGlacier (If you would like to contribue or try to get this running please let me know, I still have quite a few commits to push to this repo)
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Lecivius

RE: Web based WITPAE PBEM Viewer

Post by Lecivius »

Someone has ENTIRELY to much free time on their hands [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I lack words to describe...wow! [X(]

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Jumpin' jehosafat Batman! This is really kick-a** Baloogan!
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Thanks!!!

These are the kind of developments that make me believe that there can be a WITPAE - II
there is no need to reinvent the wheel; just simply port the existing game and database to a more modern- user friendly engine
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

This look amazing, but when I go the the site I have no idea what to do to use it.... Or is it not yet possible to use it?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Ok I get the interactive looking at the campaign, but can we use this to do the same for our own campaigns?

If we can, WOW.

Double WOW because its not using Windows to do it on my Mac.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks you....
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Ok I get the interactive looking at the campaign, but can we use this to do the same for our own campaigns?

If we can, WOW.

Double WOW because its not using Windows to do it on my Mac.

Roger

+1 for this.

How hard would it be to set this up to read the data from our own Tracker files and see what is happening in our games?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Well done!
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Wow! Amazing job! [&o][&o][&o]
desicat

Post by desicat »

Amazing.
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

wow going to look and get bakc to you with feedback. thank you!
John 21:25
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Thanks guys [:D]

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

How hard would it be to set this up to read the data from our own Tracker files and see what is happening in our games?

One would need to be particularly computer savvy to set this up right now; would involve running IIS Express. But after its running all it needs is for WITP tracker to export 5 CSVs every turn: AirGroups, LCUs, Bases, TFs and Ships. It also reads the combat reports / sigint reports etc.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

If any more newbies ask about the game before purchasing I would refer them to your AAR first. Definitely the best preview there is.
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

Looks very good after i checked it out. Any chance you can make Tracker work for the latest Java :) :)

One minor feedback point, would be nice if when you click on say a TF and it shows you a ship, the display box opens up large enough to display all of the info, so you don't have to scroll down. Not a biggie though.
John 21:25
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

Thanks guys [:D]

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

One would need to be particularly computer savvy to set this up right now; would involve running IIS Express. But after its running all it needs is for WITP tracker to export 5 CSVs every turn: AirGroups, LCUs, Bases, TFs and Ships. It also reads the combat reports / sigint reports etc.

So IIS Express is free Microsoft software that is capable of reading data from files and presenting them in a web format. Interesting.....

So one assumes 'all' that would be needed to be done was a batch file of some sort that exported the relevant files from Tracker, and the programme would run using those files.....

Roger
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Holy. Cow. [X(] Great work!

Cheers,
Cc
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Looks very good after i checked it out. Any chance you can make Tracker work for the latest Java :) :)

It does now. Try it.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”