Faster Repair

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Orion03

Faster Repair

Post by Orion03 »

So I am trying to repair a planet destroyer, and it's taking a long time.

Can I build a super construction ship with more construction stuff on it to repair the ship faster?
Blabsawaw22

RE: Faster Repair

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

nope
lucos

Post by lucos »

Indeed, it's taking ages. most of my games finish before any planet destroyer get completed...

in a previous game, I tried the super constructor thing: multiple construction bay, multiple plants, lots of cargo bay. it didn't change anything at all, it stay desperately slow...

The only thing that might have a (very very) little impact is increasing the number of cargo, to be sure that the constructor have all the resources needed right from the beginning (never stop because of shortage).
But, even this, I'm not sure at 100% if it is really helping or if it is useless....
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

I tend to be a bit cynical. Planet Destroyers take so long, the constructors get chased away by every Space Mouse and kid with a toy gun.

So... I just destroy any of them I find and don't bother... :)

Now the regular damaged ships and hulks? Those feed the engines of R&D.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

But I imagine (I'm not totally sure) that your construction tech matters. If you have had an early construction ship (with 300 construction speed) working for ages on a planet destroyer and you later replace it with an advanced construction ship (500 construction speed) it would have to be faster wouldn't it? Anyone know for sure?
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Since the construction speed of a construction yard module is one of those things that automatically gets upgraded with improving technology without requiring a refit, it really doesn't matter how obsolete the construction ship working on the project is. An ancient construction ship still using your obsolete size-320 Warp Bubble Generator design will complete projects just as quickly after it arrives as a modern construction ship using your state of the art size-1500 Torrent Drive design, assuming that neither ship runs out of construction materials.

As far as I know, the only ways to speed repairs on 'advanced' derelicts (whether they're planet killers or advanced standard warships) are to develop the technologies required by the components used by the ships (components you cannot currently build take more time to repair than components you can build, if I'm not mistaken) and to improve your construction technology to boost the work rate of construction yards. To my knowledge, there is no benefit to increasing the number of cargo bays unless you're running into work stoppages because the ship cannot carry enough resources for the project, and there is no benefit to using a more modern or more recently refitted construction ship. And as only one construction yard can work on any given project at any given time, there is no benefit to using more than one construction yard on a construction ship.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I would not take it for granted a construction ship doing current repairs benefits from a new research breakthrough granting faster repairs.

The speed of repair could very well be set at "repair start", so that one would need to stop and restart repair to gain the benefit. Whether his is the case, I do not know.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

I didn't realize that the construction modules are auto-upgraded without requiring a refit. Are you sure of that? But even then it still means that the rate of repair increases with your construction tech since higher construction tech = faster construction speed whether it auto-upgrades or not. Still takes a hell of a long time though.

Edit: Also I have stopped constructing with an ancient constructor and switched to a modern constructor without noticing any difference at all. Doesn't mean there wasn't a difference, but if there was I certainly didn't notice.
RiftHick

Post by RiftHick »

I imagine it might be intentional speed capping given the purpose of the ships we are talking about here.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Side question, but I wonder why they have it that the Claim of ownership comes at the start of repair.

I see a Moon under repair, chase off/destroy the Constructor, and try to send in my own, but no... doesn't let you hijack the repair.
lucos

Post by lucos »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Side question, but I wonder why they have it that the Claim of ownership comes at the start of repair.

I see a Moon under repair, chase off/destroy the Constructor, and try to send in my own, but no... doesn't let you hijack the repair.

Strange, I have always been doing it without problems.
The only tricky part is that you cannot tell your constructor to repair if there is another constructor working on it. So, you destroy/chase this one and give the order to your constructor. The constructor will then go to one of your planet to pickup the necessary resources before going back to the planet destroyer., which can take a long time.
In most of the case, by the time it arrives at destination, another empire (or pirate) will already have put a constructor on it. (I often see 4 or 5 different constructors waiting near by).
So you need to keep destroying/chasing any constructor coming by until yours arrive and start repairing.
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

I was trying to get a Super Destroyer ship one time and I was repairing it, everybody destroyed my constructors.. then destroyed the fricken Super Destroyer.. i came back after a few months and it was gone..just gone.. I guess they destroyed it.. so stupid.. I lost my super destroyer..
ReadeB

Post by ReadeB »

Also... don't sabotage the constructor repairing the World Destroyer... quick way to destroy it..

Did that once..[8|]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”