Pandora $9.89 on Steam Summer Sale opening.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

Pandora $9.89 on Steam Summer Sale opening.

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Looks like it's started folks. Run!! [:'(]
milkweg

RE: Pandora $9.89 on Steam Summer Sale opening.

Post by milkweg »

Yea, I bought it, and the expansion.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Ok, now I am mad. I can't play Pandora SP unless I give Internet access to two exe files in the game. WTF Matrix???
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Pandora auto updates which is why it needs access to the internet. They are regularly releasing upgrades and fixes.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Pandora auto updates which is why it needs access to the internet. They are regularly releasing upgrades and fixes.
This reminds me why I dislike Steam. It's bad enough that they are spying on me, but having to maintain an internet connection is an additional pain. I prefer to buy from Matrix.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

This is not to do with auto update and I found out what the issue is. The game will play fine with no internet access, it is the firewall that is the issue because the game uses an internal server to communicate between pandora.exe and pandoraserver.exe. I had that issue with another game called Naval Arctic Circle. My firewall is the windows firewall but it I use a 3rd party prog to set the firewall rules and that is the issue. I read on Slitherine site that Zone Alarm firewall causes an issue with Pandora too.

I see numerous antivirus progs have had issues with Pandora also. It is that Internal server thing and they think Pandora is doing something suspicious so they flag it until you give it an exception rule.

If you set Steam to offline mode and disable the Internet connection then Pandora plays fine so Steam or the auto update is not an issue. Just give in/out access to those two files in the firewall even though they are not connecting to the internet.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

This is not to do with auto update and I found out what the issue is. The game will play fine with no internet access, it is the firewall that is the issue because the game uses an internal server to communicate between pandora.exe and pandoraserver.exe. I had that issue with another game called Naval Arctic Circle. My firewall is the windows firewall but it I use a 3rd party prog to set the firewall rules and that is the issue. I read on Slitherine site that Zone Alarm firewall causes an issue with Pandora too.

I see numerous antivirus progs have had issues with Pandora also. It is that Internal server thing and they think Pandora is doing something suspicious so they flag it until you give it an exception rule.

If you set Steam to offline mode and disable the Internet connection then Pandora plays fine so Steam or the auto update is not an issue. Just give in/out access to those two files in the firewall even though they are not connecting to the internet.

That sounds like a lot of needless work to play a game. Games should be made user friendly not force you to take a computer science class.

It's like a beta I was in where the guy describes how to install the files and just says download and does not explain how to download the file. You had to look everywhere to find the download button since it wasn't where it usually would be.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Yea, that is why some people prefer console gaming, far less hassle.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

Yea, that is why some people prefer console gaming, far less hassle.

Agree. I said awhile back if wargames ever go console thas where I will go and leave this mess behind.

Return to “General Discussion”