New Player - new campaign house rules?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Cavalry Corp

New Player - new campaign house rules?

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I have been playing scns for some while now ( mainly play AE). Since the last few patches seem to be generating a genuine east front experience - still lots to learn but what house rules are suggested for the campaign.
Also for 1941 ( I am quite familiar with the history of the Eastern Front) is the destruction of Soviets troops the priority - or seizing territory and cities or catching arms centres etc a priority? Seems to me destroying the Army and seizing its factories seems the priority for an easier 42?
Help appreciated.
Cavalry Corp

RE: New Player - new campaign house rules?

Post by Cavalry Corp »

ok so what house rules does anyone use - maybe this does not need any?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

ok so what house rules does anyone use - maybe this does not need any?

its hard as they are often negotiable. Some standards are:

a) no bombing of unstacked HQs - this used to be because you could cull commanders too easily this way, now it just produces too many losses among support units;
b) no bombing of an airbase more than 3 times after turn 1 - this stops the Soviets wiping out the Luftwaffe, but I've seen some games with this agreed at no more than 1;
c) no using soviet paras to open pockets

others that are common are:

d) restrictions on Soviet para usage - either banned or time and volume limited;
e) restrictions on Soviet naval invasions - ditto;

but then you can play with the settings, what trade offs for no +1 for early soviet attacks and mild winter, etc etc.

Best to keep them simple (its hard to check so its about trust), what you are trying to do is compensate either for the game engine or seeking balance between players. From bitter experience, be careful about altering the game settings (ie all the variables you change vs the AI on harder difficulties.

I put a list of what has been agreed in the first post of my AARs, helps anyone reading them to understand how/why it may vary from their experience

edit - to your question, I think 1941 is now all about setting the scene for 1942 - the latest patches have made this (rightly) the decisive period. As the Germans you want lots of Soviet PoWs (easiest way to cull the Red Army) and to capture as much industry as you can - the two goals may be contradictory.

trade offs into 1942 are that Soviet morale in regular rifle divisions will collapse from April-October (NM is at 40), so the Soviets need mass (ie to have either saved units from 1941 or have the industry to build up a huge reserve) and lots of Gds. I don't think there have been enough games into 1942 to offer much of a view as to quite how this all balances up. But as a Soviet player I'll feed more of my 1941 army to the Germans to protect/evac my industry for the longer turn.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

OK thanks for the advice and the tips on rules - yes I have not played it but 42 looks a real interesting now.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Probably more important to find someone of your relative experience, or someone who is willing to benevolently teach a newbie. And someone you feel you can trust.

I would agree to ALL of the above (A through E).
Do NOT use random weather, because this is a big change from 'normal standards and practices' and as a newbie it's way more problem than you are prepared to deal with.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Good point -we are both novices but not the understanding the Eastern Front.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”