Disappointing...

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
mikemc

Disappointing...

Post by mikemc »

I purchased this game a week or so ago and have played it a few times, I should add I have been playing this series for a long time now although the last one I bought was the Arnhem edition.

Perhaps there has been a gradual shift in how the game is balanced, but I always thought it was better with just a few tanks and vehicles with the focus on infantry. Instead this version is just much too small infantry teams which seem far more vulnerable, and endless numbers of tanks. Sorry but for me ten tanks against eight is just dull, it's a very disappointing game. Are there any mods to reduce the balance?

Mike
SteveMcClaire

RE: Disappointing...

Post by SteveMcClaire »

It is possible to make a mod that reduces the number of tanks involved, but I do not believe anyone has done this yet.

Steve
Longnez

Post by Longnez »

yes i understand how u feel. Having toured the entire game CC (Modern Tactics aside), i admit). GTC has developed a game not play. The categories of troops involved are limited. PIF has the same problem. Many like me have expressed developers but nothing moves. GTC and PIF are like frozen, no mod is added. I don't know why. As much as i continue with the CC series 2 to 5 and especially since the COI because troops and equipment are more progress over time and vehicle additions enhances the gameplay. I think this's the main flaw of the fighting vested on a limited context.
Housies

Post by Housies »

ORIGINAL: mikemc

I purchased this game a week or so ago and have played it a few times, I should add I have been playing this series for a long time now although the last one I bought was the Arnhem edition.

Perhaps there has been a gradual shift in how the game is balanced, but I always thought it was better with just a few tanks and vehicles with the focus on infantry. Instead this version is just much too small infantry teams which seem far more vulnerable, and endless numbers of tanks. Sorry but for me ten tanks against eight is just dull, it's a very disappointing game. Are there any mods to reduce the balance?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I also bought the game a week ago, but I do not share your disappointment.
The previous versions I played were Arnhem and CC: Invasion Normandy.

It is tur this version involves a lot more tanks in battle. This is however not the fault of the developpers, but the fault of Mongomery and OKW (German command in those days). Both sides concentrated their amrour divisions in the area around Caen, while the American side of Normandy was dealt by infantry and Airborne divsions. I believe the game reflects the settings of operation epsom very well.

Try too look at it that way whenever 5 of your cromwell tanks are destroyed by merely one 88 flak gun. Now you know how the British must have felt in 1944 (except this is merely a game, they were in for real).
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i beta the game a while ago now, and agree with above, for me it's the best one to date by none and look forward more to the next one in the series as i've played & tested this one to death, and also think it's very good
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Housies

Post by Housies »

I especially like the enhanced sound and visual effects. The impact of a artillery barrage is now really scary too even look at.

So indeed, best of the series in my opinion. However the old engine is really past it's due date. Looking foward to new developments, but I understand it will be difficult.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”