About 50 Years In And Some Questions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

wagtunes

About 50 Years In And Some Questions

Post by wagtunes »

Well, I'm about 50 years into my first 1,000 year DW campaign and all I can say is WOW. Had no idea what I was in for but I didn't expect anything like this.

Have a few questions. First one actually pertains to Steam.

Question 1:

My understanding is that you need to connect to Steam to play the game, which I assume I've done. However, all I did upon purchasing the game was install it, and after getting DirectX 9 to finally work, run it and play it.

I never opened a Steam account and can only assume I've connected to them in some way.

Can somebody explain to me exactly how this works? By purchasing the game directly from Matrix Games, was I automatically made a Steam member? If not, is there something additionally that I need to do?

Question 2:

Now that more things are going on in the game, I am noticing that the messages are flying by and it's almost impossible to keep up with them, especially the ones that you have to respond to like approving an attack on a colony or building a new base.

Is there some way to slow these things down? I am suspecting that some messages are being lost in the queue. For example, today I am sure I saw about 6 or 7 scroll up but when I went to approve them, there were only about 4 or 5. I am sure that 2 were lost and I don't know how to retrieve them to respond to them, if it's even possible. For all I know, it was an attack order that I missed.

Any assistance in this area will be appreciated.

Question 3:

As much as I've taken to this game rather quickly, I am sure there are tips and things that I'm probably not even aware of. Is there some part of this forum that has a list of tips and strategies that I can read through?

In short, am having a blast. My years of gaming experience were not for nothing. It has helped a lot, but I know there's a lot I haven't figured out yet. So any advanced pointers (I think I've got all the basic stuff down) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
mordachai

RE: About 50 Years In And Some Questions

Post by mordachai »

1: I don't know - I don't have any issues playing this game w/o Steam logged in nor running, unlikely most steam games.
2: You have control over game-speed (+/- I think?). You can pause anytime (space), and you can use the event log to go back and see what you missed.
3: There are you-tube videos and FAQs and walk-throughs and so on... someone else can point you where, or you can google.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

When you bought your game directly from Matrix, Steam is an option only. You run the game from the matrix installed setup just fine without any connection or relation to Steam.

If you want the game in your steam library, you can get a steam key as described in one of the stickies here. You will then have to do an additional install (inside Steam) if you want to use the steam overlay, get steam achievements, or other Steam specific stuff.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

When you bought your game directly from Matrix, Steam is an option only. You run the game from the matrix installed setup just fine without any connection or relation to Steam.

If you want the game in your steam library, you can get a steam key as described in one of the stickies here. You will then have to do an additional install (inside Steam) if you want to use the steam overlay, get steam achievements, or other Steam specific stuff.

Ah, so then Steam is NOT required to play this game? Now I'm really confused. Go to Amazon and read all the complaints about how you need Steam to play this game.

What are these people talking about then? I don't understand.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

If you buy the game on Steam, you may have to use Steam. It would be unusual to be able to launch a game bought on Steam outside Steam.

Steam is a store/game management system. You buy games on Steam, you run games on Steam. A bad thing with it is that you may need internet to play. And if you lose access to your steam account, you lose access to all your games bought there. The good thing about Steam is that they have nice deals, and makes moving to a new computer easy. They also handle patches automatically and you may have some tools to connect with your friends through Steam while playing. Also, there are no installers and game keys to lose like it is if you buy from Matrix.
HerpInYourDerp

Post by HerpInYourDerp »

Several games you can buy on Steam don't require Steam itself running to play, as in you can just open via its own exe.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

As Herp'd'Derp indicates - once you've installed it - you don't need steam to play. At least - I bought it through steam - installed it via steam - but never need steam to play.

People say ignorant stuff constantly.
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

Try this link it has helped me immensely.

tm.asp?m=3508583
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

So then if I buy all my games directly from the manufacturer (like Matrix Games) even if it says requires Steam or uses Steam or whatever, I'll be able to play it okay without actually getting a Steam account, correct?

IOW, as long as I don't buy from Steam, I'm fine.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

So then if I buy all my games directly from the manufacturer (like Matrix Games) even if it says requires Steam or uses Steam or whatever, I'll be able to play it okay without actually getting a Steam account, correct?
This depends on how the publisher/developer decided to manage things. Some games yes, others no. In the case of Distant Worlds, you can. There are other examples where the opposite is true.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

ORIGINAL: Aeson
This depends on how the publisher/developer decided to manage things. Some games yes, others no. In the case of Distant Worlds, you can. There are other examples where the opposite is true.

I assume then that before you actually buy the game it will at least tell you if Steam IS a requirement to run it or not, correct?
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

ORIGINAL: wagtunes
I assume then that before you actually buy the game it will at least tell you if Steam IS a requirement to run it or not, correct?
I have a bridge I'd love to sell you...
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

ORIGINAL: mordachai
ORIGINAL: wagtunes
I have a bridge I'd love to sell you...

I'll take that as a "read the fine print before you buy."

Thanks. Will do.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

lol - yeah, that works [:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”