Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more OT as well

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more OT as well Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more OT as... - 6/4/2015 6:53:01 PM   
Lecivius

Looks like the memorial got bumped a few days ago. It is tight in that harbor.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/01/navy-acknowledges-hospital-ship-may-have-struck-uss-arizona-memorial/?intcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obinsite

Also, I found this link, with a few pretty kewl pics of what's in the water now.

http://www.boredlion.com/17-warships-that-are-changing-the-future-of-warfare-photos/1/
Post #: 1
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/4/2015 9:14:54 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
Looks like the memorial got bumped a ew days ago. It is tight in that harbor.

Yeah, South Channel is tight, but wide enough. Been there. Always thought the Arizona should be buoyed as utterly OOB. It would help, too, with the Mokuiki shoals under the Ford Island Bridge. But that’s just me.

Notwithstanding, I don’t think the old girl would take great offense at being kissed by a hospital ship. Some other kind of ship is an entirely different matter, but a hospital ship … I’m weird. I believe ships have souls. And so long as their bodies are remembered and memorialized, their souls live on. So it’s really up to her, if she thinks she got whacked.
Don’t see this as anything other than an idiot harbor pilot kinda thing. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, stayed more center channel, butt …. We'll never know.

Ciao . JWE

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/4/2015 10:16:05 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/5/2015 2:49:01 AM   
geofflambert

forget about it, I was being less restrained than usual, at least with my perception of time.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/5/2015 3:54:18 AM >

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 3
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/5/2015 1:27:36 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

I’m weird. I believe ships have souls. And so long as their bodies are remembered and memorialized, their souls live on.

Not weird at all man.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 4
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/8/2015 1:12:33 PM   
wegman58

What is it with the Pearl pilots? I spent most of my shipboard career as the Captain's talker for Sea and Anchor. Only ONCE did I see the Captain overrule the pilot - and it was in Pearl Harbor. (back in the 1980's).

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/8/2015 11:16:47 PM   
spence

Pilots, have a special status in so far as their Coast Guard issued "Pilot's License" is concerned. They are about as close to above the law as anyone can be. Once they get their license it pretty much literally takes an act of Congress to take a pilot's license away.

I once investigated a case where the (ship's) pilot had a stroke just as he approached a bend in the Mississippi. He remained upright but gave no orders whatsoever (like turn) and so "his" 50000 ton tanker plowed into a dock/barge just below the bend in the river. Didn't lose his license though.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 6
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/9/2015 11:49:16 AM   
wegman58

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Pilots, have a special status in so far as their Coast Guard issued "Pilot's License" is concerned. They are about as close to above the law as anyone can be. Once they get their license it pretty much literally takes an act of Congress to take a pilot's license away.

I once investigated a case where the (ship's) pilot had a stroke just as he approached a bend in the Mississippi. He remained upright but gave no orders whatsoever (like turn) and so "his" 50000 ton tanker plowed into a dock/barge just below the bend in the river. Didn't lose his license though.

I hope the guy needed a physical to get back to work, but that sounds like a good excuse for screwing up. My CO on the Pearl deployment was the best ship handler I ever watched work. He would let the OOD do everything except get the ship in real trouble before he opened his mouth, then would tell the OOD what he could have done better after the evolution. Only time I saw a CO overrule a pilot was in Pearl, and the pilot was getting the ship in a position where a minute later we would have hit something.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more O... - 6/9/2015 3:32:48 PM   
spence

I no longer remember whether or not the pilot resumed work. I was just mentioning it because the so-called regulatory agency that issued the license couldn't, because of a loophole in the law big enough to literally drive a tanker through, take that license back once it was given.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> A bit OT, Arizona Memorial gets bumped. And more OT as well Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI