Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pagan Today

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pagan Today Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pagan Today - 6/1/2015 11:12:36 PM   
JohnDillworth

what a pretty Island. With the remains of Japanese aircraft scattered about.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/29/pagan-island-marines-military_n_7342168.html

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.
Post #: 1
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 9:18:49 AM   
chazz

This is ridiculous. I'm sure that there are other islands the military could use.

=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

Playing DECEMBER 8th start
SS Control: Human
China: Quiet

n.b. I will ask shockingly noob questions

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 11:14:00 AM   
ndworl

Bombing is actually very good for conservation. It does little actual damage and precludes any economic development, which is the main cause of environmental loss. The Australian Government a few years ago was considering exploring for natural resources in Shoalwater Bay, which had been a military training area and bombing range for decades. The greenies protested, on the grounds of its pristine wilderness characteristics.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 3:29:47 PM   
Feltan

On the opposite side, I think the government of the Mariana's would be foolish to turn this down.

Immediate $$$ inflow into a struggling economy in trade for an essentially unoccupied and potentially dangerous piece of real estate.

Then, in future years, the US Government will no doubt spend additional $$$ to "clean up" and rehabilitate the island.

When it is all said and done, the government of the Mariana's is simply going to rent the island to the Marines for a few decades and reap a windfall of cash. And while that is going on, maybe the volcano will settle down -- because there is no other use for the island until that stability occurs.

The only population with standing to truly object is the tree snails. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 4
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 4:52:14 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

On the opposite side, I think the government of the Mariana's would be foolish to turn this down.

Immediate $$$ inflow into a struggling economy in trade for an essentially unoccupied and potentially dangerous piece of real estate.

Then, in future years, the US Government will no doubt spend additional $$$ to "clean up" and rehabilitate the island.

When it is all said and done, the government of the Mariana's is simply going to rent the island to the Marines for a few decades and reap a windfall of cash. And while that is going on, maybe the volcano will settle down -- because there is no other use for the island until that stability occurs.

Regards,
Feltan

Oh, dude, you are so right. San Clemente Island has been a USN live-fire and USN/USMC bombing range since 1934. There are several endangered and indigenous species on the island. The military is quite sensitive to their existence. We have a sailboat race, every year, that uses San Clements Island as a rounding mark. The military graciously adjusts their operations to accommodate heo race.

I have found that military professionals are not just a pack of Nazi goons, like some of you would like to think. They personally care as much as anyone about where their warheads impact and what kind of damage it does.

The original article is from a penis challenged, brainless, wanna be blogger that thinks his useless nonsense will hit on social media. and his dick will get bigger, and he'll be able to get girls. Have no respect, at all, for that kind of trash, I won't even bother to reference it.

Thoughtful people, on both sides, can probably make it happen. And make it happen righteously. So long as one keeps the assholes out of the equation. J

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 5
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 5:11:56 PM   
HansBolter

Gotta agree with Symon.

And I'm sorry if you find this offensive John, but I'm embarrassed for the forum to have a link to anything published by The Huff and Puff post.

Hans

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 6
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 6:30:29 PM   
Sredni

I drive in and out of a bombing range from time to time for work and I'll see more wildlife in an hour on the bombing range then I will in the 10 hours previous of varied farmland and forested area's. All you gotta do to let nature thrive is severely limit human activity. The occasional bomb is way less destructive then unending hoards of weekend offroaders and campers and people going fishing.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 7:42:18 PM   
geofflambert

It would be bad for tourists and the locals because of unexploded ordinance.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 8
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 7:54:23 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Regards,
Feltan

Speaking of snails, have you been on the south side of the Columbia river valley? There's dozens of waterfalls like this:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 9
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 7:55:47 PM   
Feltan

Well, I see at least three good bombing targets.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 7:55:53 PM   
geofflambert

And there's these huge Banana Slugs all over the place like these

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 7:56:28 PM   
geofflambert

And this

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 7:57:09 PM   
geofflambert

And other slugs like this

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Pagan Today - 6/2/2015 9:00:50 PM   
AW1Steve

Truly the most disgusting slug is , without a doubt , the couch slug!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 6/2/2015 10:04:21 PM >

VP-92 sig banner

Post #: 14
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 1:33:14 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Speaking of snails, have you been on the south side of the Columbia river valley? There's dozens of waterfalls like this:

You mean the Columbia River Gorge? I live within a couple of miles of the entrance to the Gorge. West of the Cascades from about Eugene, OR north there are massive slugs. They can get up to about 4 inches in length.

The waterfalls in the Gorge were created by the Missoula River Flood, which is the largest flood in the geologic record. It was originally thought to have just been one flood, but its now believed to have been a series of massive floods, each one a little smaller than the last. The largest of them sent a wall of water 1500 ft (500 M) high down the Gorge. It sheered off the lower portion of a number of valleys with rivers in them that flowed into the Columbia which turned them into waterfalls. It was a massive event with scars visible everywhere around here today.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 15
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 3:55:01 AM   
geofflambert

I usually don't listen to you Science types, but that slug called AW1Steve is pretty scary. I normally consume such as him, but I just can't stand belly hair. What's a gorn to do?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 4:35:10 AM   
geofflambert

It's probably past his beddy bye time, it certainly is for me, but I'm pretty sure that the offending organism is another forum denizen who he will not name. It couldn't be me as I have scales rather than hair.

So who is that piece of work with the faded lime-green trousers?

Post #: 17
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 4:41:51 AM   
wdolson

The picture is from here:

https://modernbitch.wordpress.com/

Post #: 18
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 4:57:54 AM   
geofflambert

Bill, you're supposed to be protecting children like me from stuff like that. I won't tell if you won't, but what about the small young gorns who don't know anything better? They came to this planet expecting a decent education and you give them what? They now know what gorns are, thanks to you. I wanted them to become astronauts, or lawyers or physicians. Or taxidermists. Above all.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 19
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 8:14:40 AM   
Dragoastro

Isn't the B52 (long) retired? The author greatly reduces his credibility with has sensationalist style and lack of attention to details.

Post #: 20
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 9:02:16 AM   
NigelKentarus

I agree with HansBolter. Look where it was published. 'Nough said.

Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.

(in reply to Dragoastro)
Post #: 21
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 9:05:41 AM   
wdolson

The B-52? It's still in active service and the USAF plans on keeping them in service until 2045. talk of re-engining them has come up again, which is probably a good idea at this point. Engine technology has come a long ways since the 60s.

Bill

(in reply to Dragoastro)
Post #: 22
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 1:24:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The B-52? It's still in active service and the USAF plans on keeping them in service until 2045. talk of re-engining them has come up again, which is probably a good idea at this point. Engine technology has come a long ways since the 60s.

Bill

I thought they did that more recently than the 60's??

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 2:40:57 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
And there's these huge Banana Slugs all over the place like these

Go Banana Slugs!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 4:33:51 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoastro

Isn't the B52 (long) retired? The author greatly reduces his credibility with has sensationalist style and lack of attention to details.

Those B-52s aren't representative of the slide show, in case you didn't realize there's a slide show.

oops, I was referring to the "strange planes" thread.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/3/2015 5:37:16 PM >

(in reply to Dragoastro)
Post #: 25
RE: Pagan Today - 6/3/2015 5:37:32 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

Yes, and I agree with Hans, too. I must apologize to the forum for inportunate language. It is because I view articles by "activists" with a certain degree of cynicism. Just who the hell are "activists" anyway? And why should anyone pay attention to "activist" blitherings? Is "activist" a profession? Or simply a hashmark way of getting on to Social media, when their views are demonstratively worthless in the real world?

Notwithstanding my inportunate language, for which I apologize, this Hadfield person (a self-described "conservational biologist" and "activist") is so full of Bantha Pudu, that he's probably as overweight as Rosanne Barr.The Huff and Puff Post is what it is. It will always report the sensational to get more hits. Are ya'll beginning to get the picture of the playing field in modern 21st century America, yet?

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 26
RE: Pagan Today - 6/4/2015 2:56:52 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

Just want to let you know that there are some earthlings who cannot countenance anyone having any opinion other than their own. On Gorn this is, unfortunately, always the case. Gorns cannot listen to someone else's opinion without exploding. I have avoided being blown to bits only because I'm half Welsh.

Let this be a lesson to you, listen to the ones who make sense and ignore the rest. Wait a second, I rarely make sense. Listen to the ones who make sense plus me.

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 27
RE: Pagan Today - 6/4/2015 9:04:10 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

Yes, and I agree with Hans, too. I must apologize to the forum for inportunate language. It is because I view articles by "activists" with a certain degree of cynicism. Just who the hell are "activists" anyway? And why should anyone pay attention to "activist" blitherings? Is "activist" a profession? Or simply a hashmark way of getting on to Social media, when their views are demonstratively worthless in the real world?

Notwithstanding my inportunate language, for which I apologize, this Hadfield person (a self-described "conservational biologist" and "activist") is so full of Bantha Pudu, that he's probably as overweight as Rosanne Barr.The Huff and Puff Post is what it is. It will always report the sensational to get more hits. Are ya'll beginning to get the picture of the playing field in modern 21st century America, yet?

You guys are going political, whether or not you realize it. Since you've gone there ...

So activists are bad? Civil rights activists were bad too then? How about suffragettes? What about the guys who threw some tea in a harbor in Boston? Still bad?

Because people fight or write about something you disagree with, it doesn't make them irrelevant. It makes what is called dialogue. If you can get away from childish name calling you could maybe try to understand another person's viewpoint. Compromise is the only thing that solves problems in the long term, and it only starts when people actually are willing to see another side, to empathize, to battle through a discussion without disrespecting the other side entirely.

That said, I get the name calling, too. We all do it and it's really fun. It sounds good. Ahh, it feel so much better. Mom, can I go outside and play?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 28
RE: Pagan Today - 6/4/2015 9:16:52 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

You guys are going political, whether or not you realize it. Since you've gone there ...

So activists are bad? Civil rights activists were bad too then? How about suffragettes? What about the guys who threw some tea in a harbor in Boston? Still bad?

Because people fight or write about something you disagree with, it doesn't make them irrelevant. It makes what is called dialogue. If you can get away from childish name calling you could maybe try to understand another person's viewpoint. Compromise is the only thing that solves problems in the long term, and it only starts when people actually are willing to see another side, to empathize, to battle through a discussion without disrespecting the other side entirely.

That said, I get the name calling, too. We all do it and it's really fun. It sounds good. Ahh, it feel so much better. Mom, can I go outside and play?
warspite1

+1

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 29
RE: Pagan Today - 6/4/2015 9:36:05 AM   
wdolson

I let the first comment on the Huffington Post go hoping it would die, then it appears I missed the first follow up comments.

Let's drop the political discussion please.

Bill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pagan Today Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI