Order of Battle Pacific FIRST IMPRESSIONS Video

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Erik2, Lukas

TIK

Order of Battle Pacific FIRST IMPRESSIONS Video

Post by TIK »

Hey everyone! After several hours playing this game I made a first impressions video where I go over what I think of this game. CLICK HERE (link to YouTube) to see the video

Overall, I like it. The animations are great, the sounds are fantastic, and I'm going to be doing a short Let's Play of it too to show off to my subs how good it is. There's a few bugs that need ironing out, but nothing game breaking.

Still getting used to not having an undo-button..... Makes it a bit more of a challenge though [;)]
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
Lukas

RE: Order of Battle Pacific FIRST IMPRESSIONS Video

Post by Lukas »

A critical but fair review. I don't disagree with any of the issues you mentioned so we should be able to improve these things in the near future [:)]

Listing every single gameplay mechanic in the game is tricky though. In fact there have been reviewers complaing there were too many tutorial popups. Can't please everyone I guess [8|]
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

This was a great First Impressions video that covered the game fairly well. Well done TIK.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

TIK, what's your pc spec btw?

and as you was recording and playing, what recording software was you using?

i tested it on a,

dual core, core duo E6850@ 3GHz with 6gb of ram

dual core Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 3gb of ram

i7 2700k cpu with 16gb of ram

i7 3960X cpu with 32gb of ram

WIN7/WIN8.1 and now win 10 BETA

with no issues, all with amd card's from 2gb to 6gb all with latest drivers, so did any of the patches help the frame rate jumps btw?

as you comment on your pc needs upgrading, added the fact the the recording software / hardware is using resources as well, couldn't have helped[;)] but then again you know all this, just pointing it out to others who may not, was going to comment on the video site itself but thought better of it so replied here since you made the video and post.

tbh a more balanced review is here for anyone who wants one,

tm.asp?m=3852000

with a youtube look at here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjxekCXG0A

either way enjoy[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
TIK

Post by TIK »

@Lukas

I wanted to make it as fair as possible. I do think it's a great game. I really enjoyed Panzer Corps and now I'm hard pressed now to choose which one I prefer between the two of them!

And yes, you certainly can't please everyone. Take my humble opinion with a grain of salt [:)]

@zakblood

The game is like that regardless of whether I have my recording software running or not. I wouldn't have mentioned the issues had it just done it whilst I was recording since I understand that Bandicam can reduce performance. I've played around with the in-game settings and it doesn't seem to affect the starting video, or the spike in cpu at the beginning of the AI turn. It must be my processor if no one else has experienced these issues and I apologize if it is.

My current PC specs are -

i5-2500k 3.30GHz
8.GB Ram
Win7 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

Mine's similar to the lower end pc's you listed and they're working fine. I did build my PC a couple years ago now so I feel like an upgrade is a little overdue [:)]
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

your spec is plenty for the game and should walk it, so maybe a new fresh install of windows would make more sense then a newer build or upgrade if you don't need to, as should last the war gamers / players a long while longer imo
TIK

Post by TIK »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

your spec is plenty for the game and should walk it, so maybe a new fresh install of windows would make more sense then a newer build or upgrade if you don't need to, as should last the war gamers / players a long while longer imo

That's what I thought. I do wonder what it is then [:(] at the end of the day, they're only minor issues really. I want to upgrade because I do video rendering and animation too, not just because of the gaming.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

video rendering and animation is totally different than game playing unless at higher level type games, for me speed and size is more important than ever,

with the brains of the pc being the cpu, so unless the programs you are using are fully multi core written, i'd go for faster core speed over more cores, eg being a 8 core with slower core speed isn't as good as a 4 core with faster core speed, so pick the part which best suits not only your budget but needs.

memory equals same rule applies, but in reverse, better to have more of slower speed memory than less of faster speeds for many reasons in a 64bit o/s with most video rendering and animation programs and tbh games, as most won't notice the difference between the fastest on the market of memory speeds to the slowest unless benchmarking that is and bragging rights to friends and m8's.

while some say the faster memory type will give a % gain in fps as faster memory gets the info to the cpu quicker etc etc it's hit and miss and by how much and is also debated with pro's and con's from each side.

video cards is down to choice, but for me clock speed and memory speed and how much ram is an important as any choice, with fan noise also being higher on my list, as with lets say 3 cards having the same costs and memory and clock speeds i'd still pick the one with the lowest sound in db's rather that pay more or less for a name or brand, so do your research here more than anything.

drives you really only have 2 options, SDD and HDD in the mix or SDD and hybrid drives, with options like speed and size dependant on budget, the slowest SDD is way faster than the fastest HDD, and while hybrid drives aren't well thought of by some, most who have never used them tbh, cost v's speed v's size is a good option regarding costs, if money is no object mind you it's SDD all the way.

m/b is personnel choice, i stick with a brand and get the one which fit's my needs, not the one which has over priced parts on it i'll never need or use.

last part, O/S, no one or any program can repair windows better than what a reinstall can do, full stop.

depending on how many programs are added and deleted each day / week / month and how much it's used, the ability / speed and repair status of a O/S can be % less each month than a fresh install with more errors and speed loss over time, as all modern operating systems now can be imaged and backed up with a full driver and patch load out, the time taken to reinstall windows can be up to 30/20 mins or less depending on the model and type plus hardware, fastest for me on a SDD of a gaming rig was 12mins, with no games reinstalled mind you, just O/S, patches and drivers.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II”