1st German turn - Soviet air losses

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Northern Star

1st German turn - Soviet air losses

Post by Northern Star »

Just curious... how many Russian planes do you destroy in the 1st German turn?
Let me know... I'm about to start a 41 campaign and I'm curious to compare the things now with what I made during alpha testing...
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Mehring

RE: 1st German turn - Soviet air losses

Post by Mehring »

4 - 4.5k seems normal
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Mehring

4 - 4.5k seems normal

3k to 3.5 K for me
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

I am, using 1.08.03 getting consistently about 4.9K by the start of turn 2, got over 5K one game a week ago. The key is using your STUKAS efficiently, they are deadly!

Randy
:)
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Do you transfer also some planes to Romania to bomb the furthest air bases in Ukraine?

rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

No, i just use the planes already in Rumania. Note that those 24 plane ground attack Rumanian planes can do SERIOUS damage. With the planes down there, you can take out everything close to their border, plus everything near Odessa, plus a few more bases deeper also

The key is how you move around your stuka bases. I have a airbase moving around strategy on turn 1 that mainly centers around how to move the stuka bases around. i.e. first, the stuka base (15th?) hits what is in front of them, then they move up northeast within range of Kaunas, etc and hit them. Several times, i move a stuka base right down into the front lines after its initial attacks to hit a base deeper that it can barely reach at 11 hexes if it on the front line. The Stukas that are near Brest hit the base near Brest once, then move south and attach to AGS's Luftwaffe, and take out ALL the bases within 11 hexes of the front lines there, and i mean clean them out 100%. Don't even use any JU88's or HE-111s except for deep bombings.

A 70-80 stuka attack can take out over 200 planes in a single attack.

Randy
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Thank you very much Randy! I'll try this soon...
I remember the good old times of alpha testing when I usually killed in the 1st turn 7k planes... Now I'd like to reach 5k soon!

Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

I destroyed only 4725 planes, without moving a single ground unit... I didn't manage to destroy 5k but this is only the 1st time I play a gc41 turn after a long time... Next time I must do better.

rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

ORIGINAL: Northern Star

I destroyed only 4725 planes, without moving a single ground unit... I didn't manage to destroy 5k but this is only the 1st time I play a gc41 turn after a long time... Next time I must do better.

I got over 5K also without moving a single ground unit past the original border, although i DID attack one hex into the border in order to get a stack down to 2 units before moving the airbase into the hex. Also, moved one division on the AGS border (near the danged rough hex) to get the stukas able to stack on the furthest south hex and be able to hit Tarnopol (11 hexes)

Other than that, no units had to move, didn't do the gamey trick of attacking into the border, then moving your airbases way deep, then attacking.

Randy
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

I tried again the airfield bombings...
I think I should have used better the long range bombers to destroy something more...

Attachments
abt1ger.jpg
abt1ger.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 35 times

rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Hey, 5K! Yeah, 4.9-5K is what i got each time the last 2 times, again, it is the Stukas that are the key (and how you move the stuka bases around the first turn) and you do NOT have to move the stuka bases into Soviet territory to hit 5K)

Randy
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Your fighter exp is more important 43+

Grats on 5k
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Thank you very much! The witch hit again... [:)]