Docked ship in size 4 port torpedoed???

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DanSez

Docked ship in size 4 port torpedoed???

Post by DanSez »

I thought I read that docked ships in a port larger than size 2 were not likely to be torpedoed.

I have 4 task forces in Balikpapan
This single ship is docked, drawing resources.
A sub slips in and sinks this single ship.

I have ASW planes and ships swarming the area.

Is this a problem or do I need to put PB/DD ships in all task forces, docked or otherwise in all size ports?

I have save games if needed.

Combat Results:

Submarine attack near Balikpapan at 64,97

Japanese Ships
xAK Nissan Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-39

xAK Nissan Maru is sighted by SS S-39
SS S-39 attacking on the surface **** On a DOCKED ship, with 3 other task forces close by?

Here is the Nissan Maru as I closed out the turn on March 02, 1942

Attachments
NissanMar..021942.jpg
NissanMar..021942.jpg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 51 times
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Alfred

RE: Docked ship in size 4 port torpedoed???

Post by Alfred »

See this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3155538&mpage=1&key=docked%2Cship&#3157453

1.  The port size threshold is level 3.

2.  Port damage reduces the size of a port.  Thus a port size 4 which has 50% port damage is only a size 2 port.

Alfred
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

See this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3155538&mpage=1&key=docked%2Cship&#3157453

1.  The port size threshold is level 3.

2.  Port damage reduces the size of a port.  Thus a port size 4 which has 50% port damage is only a size 2 port.

Alfred
Later today I will reload that turn and check the port size with damage. I don't think it was that badly degraded, but it is the fine details that demand the most attention.

Thank you for the reply.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

FROM THIS THREAD:

Section 9.3 of the manual is quite clear on this point. At ports sized 3 and above, ships which are either at anchor (=disbanded into the port) or docked are immune from enemy sub attack. Ships which do not meet either of these conditions can be attacked by enemy subs within the confines of the 40nm port hex.

If we are certain that the ships were neither anchored nor docked, then that is a prima facie case of either a bug or the manual being wrong. In those circumstances it should be sent over to the Tech sub-forum for michaelm's attention. He still regularly monitors that sub-forum but not necessarily the main AE forum.

Alfred

Looks like I have a solid bug. I can send the save game if needed:
Balikpapan is size 4 port. Has 0 damage (that I can see)
and a single ship taskforce, docked and loading resources, was attacked and sunk.

Attachments
Balikpapan..420302.jpg
Balikpapan..420302.jpg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 51 times
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

I think it should be stated this PBEM game was started with the last Beta Patch 1123x10 and the game has not been upgraded to the last full upgrade 1.01.24.

koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

I think it should be stated this PBEM game was started with the last Beta Patch 1123x10 and the game has not been upgraded to the last full upgrade 1.01.24.

1123x10 is the same as 1.01.24.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I had a CVL torped in Sydney a few years back. Was not even in a TF....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I've had a sub deposit minisubs in Colombo which was level 9 and the minisub hit Warspite in drydock and the parent sub hit Victorius in a docked TF.

I think the "subs can't attack ships docked in level 3 and above ports" is pure propaganda.
Hans

DanSez

Post by DanSez »

I can see a mini sub sneaking in and hitting a ship in dock.

I am curious if the automatic 'dockmaster' undocked my single ship (loading resources) for some reason like the arrival of a larger task force. Then it would be floating off shore and vulnerable to a stealth sub attack.

I have stopped cycling single ship loading TFs until I get some solid feedback on (1. What I did wrong / 2.What I misunderstood / 3.What the program did to put that ship out into danger.)

This was just an xAK but I have tried to retain good commanders by keeping a taskforce shell and transferring parts of the force to repair docks. This could happen to a CA, a BB, a CV that I would have considered safely docked in port.

At one point in this game I had the Shokaku and a DD holding the KB taskforce in dock while the rest of the ships were getting patched up.

I had ship and air ASW resources deployed. I believe that sub was detected the turn before heading into port. I am not sure what else I was supposed to do to protect my ships.

(GP/HansBolter) Thanks for the replies.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

In dock perhaps......but DRY dock....not a chance.
Hans

DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Ouch... Did anyone try to investigate the error?
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Ouch... Did anyone try to investigate the error?

Derelict here! I never bothered to report it.

The Pennsylvania which was in dry dock during the Pearl Harbor raid routinely takes torpedoes in the game.

Just one of those things that didn't get or couldn't be or was more trouble that it's worth to model.

Some glitches I just chalk up to the reality that it is a very complex game layered upon ancient DOS code causing every tweak to have ripple effects so we never know what fix is gonna break three other things.

Some things I resign myself to just live with and move on.
Hans

Return to “Tech Support”