Naval Field Manuals?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Akmatov

Naval Field Manuals?

Post by Akmatov »

The US Army has in addition to all sorts of technical manuals, a comprehensive range of manuals on units and concepts. Does the Navy have anything similar? Would be a huge help sorting out how to use the tool kit that is Command.
Patmanaut

RE: Naval Field Manuals?

Post by Patmanaut »

[font="microsoft sans serif"]I´ve read somewhere on a computer game long time ago, this quote:  _"[/font][font=arial]One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."[/font]
CV60

Post by CV60 »

That quote comes from a Soviet military manual, and it has a fair amount of truth to it.
´ve read somewhere on a computer game long time ago, this quote: _"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

Actually, I've read that the statement was originally made by a German general in WW2. But if nothing else a tactic and doctrine manual would be useful.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Perhaps this is an interpretation of what doctrine is for. Doctrine informs system development, procurement, tactical procedures development and training. Doctrine makes a good basis for operations but commanders must apply it as they see fit to adapt to the situation at hand. The slavish use of doctrine as a method of warfare creates a vulnerability - something that less developed, or highly depleted (1944/45 Germany) militaries often do.

Military’s evolve, use of doctrine as a base for trying something different is one of the main mechanisms for this. Something a commander must always keep in mind however; if he varies from doctrine too radically, and things go wrong - he has little to defend himself on[:-]. On the other hand if you vary from doctrine and win - you’re a military genius in the eyes of history.[&o]

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

You can pretty much say that for anything. Imagine if the IPod flopped when (cr)Apple introduced it. Instead of people mentioning how innovative they are they would talk about the mistakes that brought down a company.
I guess it really all comes down to is equal parts of risk / reward / luck
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

BTW this game is most definitely next on my list to buy. Been hankering for a successor to Harpoon for years

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”