Your favorite FANTASY game or games and.....

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Why they are your favorite. List them in order and write something about each one that made them stand out as your favorite. Also, put your favorite race, class and spell color or colors if you used a combination if you would like as an "option".

wodin

RE: Your favorite FANTASY game or games and.....

Post by wodin »

Always a Fighter or Ranger, Human..sometimes Elf. Favourite RPG..hhmm...Baldurs Gate 2 for fantasy I suppose. Loved Isometric RPG's and never really got into FPS style ones. BG2 stands out in my memory more so than any of the others.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I always play an Elf Ranger/Rogue type. Something about using daggers and a Bow and being one with nature and even having a pet (in some games) seems to be what I like. Not really into magic though, I love magic in books, stories and films but not the type to use it in a fantasy base game, unless it is a healing/restoring/buffing type magic.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I like to roleplay a idealized "fantasy" version of myself most of the time when I play RPG's. I usually make a Human and my class is pretty much always Paladin or something similar. I like being the good guy hero that selflessly goes about saving everyone, what can I say.

I don't think I could come up with one favorite game, all of the old isometric DnD games are great of course. Pillars of Eternity, which is a great new game falls into this category as well.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

When I was a teenager, trouble times back then for me and ended up in the pen house for couple years. That where I picked up DnD-PnP and it was fun. When I got out, with a decent pc, the best times I had with Baldur's Gate as for single roleplaying game for pc. Strategy would be Lord of Magic, love that game to death.

Was told from Stardock, that I owned Elemental War of Magic, that I could mod a game to make it like Lord of Magic. But I never gotten into the project. Needed 3D modeling as well other resources. Too bad no other remade that game. World of Magics is okay, but I rather play the old MoM.

Edit Typos as Worlds of Magic!
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 would be my pick for sheer playability.

Baldur's Gate gets a lot of well-deserved props for good writing, but as I dug deep into game design theory I eventually became turned off by how incredibly archaic the AD&D 2nd Edition rules are, even if they are papered-over by having the computer do it for you.

If I had to pick an RPG specifically, it'd be the Diablo or World of Warcraft games - they might be particularly deep, but they are engineered to hell and back to do their one thing really well.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Why they are your favorite. List them in order and write something about each one that made them stand out as your favorite. Also, put your favorite race, class and spell color or colors if you used a combination if you would like as an "option".
Master of Magic

I can still remember my first game of MoM. It was a hidden map and everything was blacked out except the area around my city. That was the first PC game I had played with a hidden map. The need for exploration and to investigate the lairs, fight any guarding monsters, and loot the treasures within was a new experience as well.

My favorite race was High Elf due to their devastating longbowmen. I preferred Life spells which gave me the ability to heal my units in combat although I also used Nature and Sorcery spells, notably Phantom Warriors--they cost less mana and took the damage my forces would otherwise have suffered.

Many fantasy games since have copied MoM's features but none have given me as much enjoyment as Master of Magic.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

You can still get this game MoM now days and compatible with just about any pc...
http://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic

Believe Steam is selling that copy too.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

This is wargame forum and nobody has mentioned Age of Wonders yet. Age of Wonders 3 was good fun for first play through of huge random map.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

This is wargame forum and nobody has mentioned Age of Wonders yet. Age of Wonders 3 was good fun for first play through of huge random map.

Where does it say "wargame forum". Especially with posts like aussie beauties and what have you been reading lately amoung other silly topics for a "Wargaming" site.

The topic of this forum though is: GENERAL DISCUSSION, so I guess that is what we are all doing now is discussing and cussing things in general. [:'(]

But, you are right, there was a time when people only discussed wargames here and at the wargamer.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Harking back 3 decades, I was always was fond of playing a Yazarian. Kit: obligatory sun goggles, bandolier style power pack, lasgun, 2 gyrojet pistols, pouch of tangler grenades and of course, a vibro knife. Good ole Star Frontiers!
parusski

Post by parusski »

HOMM 3 without a doubt.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

HOMM 3 a great game I agree. [:)]
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I guess I'll have to say Skyrim. I have played over 450 hours and keep leveling up basically the same character with just different names. I'm still running into quest lines I never knew about.

I always play a Northman/Nord whatever game I play. I was a barbarian warrior in Everquest for 10 years or so.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Where does it say "wargame forum". Especially with posts like aussie beauties and what have you been reading lately amoung other silly topics for a "Wargaming" site.

The topic of this forum though is: GENERAL DISCUSSION, so I guess that is what we are all doing now is discussing and cussing things in general. [:'(]

But, you are right, there was a time when people only discussed wargames here and at the wargamer.
warspite1

Well let me explain.

1. In all the time I have been here - a damn site longer than you - there have always been non-wargame threads here. Always.

2. If my threads are "silly" as you love to bang on about, why are they amongst the most read, the most posted on?

3. Generally people come here because they have an interest in gaming - but that is not necessarily their only interest in life. They like sharing their thoughts, ideas, comments etc with other, similarly minded people. What is wrong with that exactly?

4. I love it when people criticise the OP's for what is being opened up for debate or comment. I have started many threads on war and warfare - you know, the historical aspects of the games that we play. Very often these are less well responded to than other "silly" topics and the posters, the contributors are usually from the same small bunch.

So why don't you carry on starting threads (and contributing to threads) you are interested in, and I will carry on starting threads (and contributing to threads) I am interested in, and you stop calling my threads silly and self-importantly opining on what I can and can't post?

If the mods or Erik had an issue I am sure they would step in.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

2. If my threads are "silly" as you love to bang on about, why are they amongst the most read, the most posted on?

Because "you" are the one who generally posts on it the most thas why. [:D]

Also calling your thread "silly" is just my "opinion" why so defensive? [:'(]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Because "you" are the one who generally posts on it the most thas why. [:D]

Also calling your thread "silly" is just my "opinion" why so defensive? [:'(]
warspite1

As you can see I saw your "silly" comment in the other thread first and played along with the double and triple posting. Then I saw the same comment here, but also bringing in other threads and thought I would give my opinion - why so defensive?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

copying me is the best form of flattery. [:D] Why I didn't know you cared so much.

Just go one month without posting in your own threads and I'll do the same....how's that for a challenge? Care to take me up on it? [:D]

I throw down the gauntlet!!! I slap yer face with my gloves!! I....I....I... well I'll think of something else in a minute. [:D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Why try to make this a more silent, dull, place? [:(]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I'm just kidding around ORM can't you see the smiley's? I hope Warsprite isn't taking me seriously. He's not silly nor are his threads. Man can't we liven this up a little sometimes with some friendly bickering? [:D] Talk about boring. I think it's boring half the time anyways. I mean don't we play "conflict" wargames for fun?

Return to “General Discussion”