Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Q About Diplomacy trade screen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Q About Diplomacy trade screen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Q About Diplomacy trade screen - 4/19/2015 10:09:20 PM   
Siddham

Beginning player here.
I am confused about the diplomacy trade screen. When I place something I want to offer in the lower right section...I cannot see any way to say what I want in return for it.

Nothing appears in the other empires fields, upper or lower, except money amounts in the upper left....which look like they are to be used by the player to say how much they want for what they are offering...But I cannot use them.

I dont know the other empire's home world yet
could that be why I cannot make any trades?

Is there an in depth guide to trading
It's barely mentioned in the manual
At least I can find no explanation of how diplo-trading works

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Q About Diplomacy trade screen - 4/19/2015 10:59:59 PM   
Aeson

You can trade money, technology, disputed bases, and disputed colonies. However, the computer factions will only trade their technologies to you if they like you enough; I think the threshold is +30 for standard technologies and +50 for species-specific technologies. Disputed bases and colonies can only be traded to the state in whose territory/influence they reside, and only tend to arise after wars, invasions of independent colonies which were in some other faction's space, a colony push into an area with preexisting foreign mines, or an occasional abandoned station being found in working order.

Treaties such as the Free Trade Agreement are proposed through the 'change relations' menu, not the trade menu, and the same is true of granting mining or refueling rights. Distant Worlds doesn't treat these as things you can 'buy' from other nations, unlike many other games, though they will tend to help with gaining a sufficiently positive relations modifier to trade for technologies.

quote:

I dont know the other empire's home world yet
could that be why I cannot make any trades?

Doesn't matter. All you need is empire contact. You do need to know where the homeworld is if you want to send them an ambassador, however, which can help with gaining a sufficiently positive relations modifier to trade for their technologies.

quote:

Is there an in depth guide to trading

None that I'm aware of.

< Message edited by Aeson -- 4/20/2015 12:00:40 AM >

(in reply to Siddham)
Post #: 2
RE: Q About Diplomacy trade screen - 4/19/2015 11:57:49 PM   
Siddham

Ok thanks for that reply Aeson
Although it did not really address my question
Which was about me selling something to the AI
I could not get the AI to respond...make any offer...and I could not adjust the cash on the AI side with the buttons at the top left

But I think I know why....
The AI may have had no cash at the time I was making the offer
that may be why I could not use the money buttone on the AI side...?

And it does not offer a tech or something else because they dont like me enough yet (as you explained)

Does that sound right?

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Q About Diplomacy trade screen - 4/20/2015 12:32:44 AM   
Retreat1970

Under money it will have denominations:100, 1000, 10000, 100000 if the empire has money. If it just says money then yes the empire has no cash. Also the empire may not have a tech to trade because you already know it.

(in reply to Siddham)
Post #: 4
RE: Q About Diplomacy trade screen - 4/20/2015 2:57:37 AM   
Siddham

The monetary denominations were there, but they were not responding.
When I tried again later they did respond and I was able to set the amount; but only to about 1,600
which I presume is all they had or all they were willing to offer

Anyway, amazing game; steep learning curve; playing fully manual from prewarp; slowest speed

Thanks for replies

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Q About Diplomacy trade screen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI