Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 5:32:21 PM   
Stele

So I took the plunge and decided to start the grand campaign; however just 3 turns I lost the Lexington and supporting cruisers on December 10. It was a stupid mistake on my part; I didn't give the Japanese fleet that attacked Pearl enough room to get home; but I didn't anticipate they'd be that close to Wake already.

Already saved without a backup, but now I'm pondering whether to continue with just the remaining carriers I have now or start anew.

Post #: 1
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 5:36:25 PM   
Big B

Of course you have a chance - it's a long war.
But if you are playing against the AI not a human - restart...you'll enjoy the game more.

B

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 2
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 6:10:46 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

What's the problem, you only lost 1 CV.....

Losing all of them is inconvenient.

But in 1944 I forget where some of them even are.....

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, previous posts 898+1515.

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 3
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 6:30:14 PM   
Stele

Thanks for replies. I will give it a go for the next few months. I was just really discouraged after losing the Lexington in such a dumb way. Lesson learned I guess.

(in reply to Roger Neilson 3)
Post #: 4
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 6:37:42 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

It will be one of many lessons you learn, every move I learn new things and my longest game is now over 1000 moves against a human. If you expect to never make mistakes then you need a simpler game - this one is mind boggling in its nuances.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, previous posts 898+1515.

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 5
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 6:50:44 PM   
Lokasenna

I've done this several times . You'll be alright.

Post #: 6
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 7:14:55 PM   
Encircled

Everyone loses a carrier, don't worry about it.

Now two might be a tad more inconvenient!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/9/2015 10:22:33 PM   
wdolson

On the upside, you can respawn the air units from the carrier and use them to train pilots. In the early going the USN doesn't have much in the way of extra units to train replacements.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 8
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/10/2015 5:58:35 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I just lost two against Lowpe in the Focus Pacific mod. I didn't stand a chance before, and now the odds are even worse. Still, I look at it as a learning experience.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/10/2015 6:06:36 PM   
Shark7

Hehe, over the course of the war, you will build far more carriers than the Japanese player will ever have. This is a *minor* setback so long as you think in the long term.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 10
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/10/2015 6:19:17 PM   
m10bob

Historically (and in game).."Haul Ass" Jack Fletcher is really weak on "agressiveness" because he went out of his way to keep his flattops from being spotted and sunk.
The Americans really were losing those valuable ships faster than they could be replaced and we al know about the battleships.
Fletcher has been judged by his critics during the Solomons campaign, when he took his flattops from Guadalcanal, leaving the troopship/cargo ships to fend for themselves, or follow Fletcher, (seen by the Marines as abandonment).
It was they who gave Fletcher that nickname..
To his credit, he saved the carriers for later at a time when the Japanese were still very much "on the roll"..

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/10/2015 7:22:05 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/10/2015 9:12:25 PM   
crsutton

Losing a single carrier means nothing. Odds are the Allied player will lose one or two to subs alone in the first year of the war. Don't give it another thought. Vs the AI it is a no brainer. Vs a human-well just don't lose another. It is hard for the Allied player to lose the game in the long run. Come 1944 and you will be crapping out carriers after your breakfast.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/11/2015 4:07:04 PM   
Anthropoid

I just lost SIX! DMS attempting to bombard the nasty Japanese badmen invading Midway.

The nice thing is, those shells were (I suspect) intended for the brave marines defending Midway, and as such those lives and machines lost may well contribute to my retaining Midway, despite my worthy foes dastardly efforts to strike an early (21 Dec) surprise attack.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 13
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/12/2015 11:54:23 AM   
zuluhour

Played with 1 carrier for over 8 months, excluding CVE/CVL. Sure makes you think more.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 14
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/12/2015 3:43:09 PM   
Treetop64

If you can hold out until mid-late 1943, you'll regularly receive more hardware than you know what to do with. By Winter 43-44, you'll feel like a rich kid on Christmas morning, and it only gets better from there.

Don't worry about it. :)

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 15
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/12/2015 5:20:51 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

If you can hold out until mid-late 1943, you'll regularly receive more hardware than you know what to do with. By Winter 43-44, you'll feel like a rich kid on Christmas morning, and it only gets better from there.

Don't worry about it. :)

So true!..Fall of '43, I have 3 CVE's patrolling for ASW off the west coast, 10 CVE's stationed at Adak Island,(now a big port with ARD), and "big boys" operating out of Pearl, Brisbane, Truk and Colombo..

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 16
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/13/2015 4:10:35 AM   
wdolson

Look at the real war. The USN didn't lose a carrier until May 42, but by the end of 42 the USN carrier force was essentially spent and it took most of 1943 to rebuild. Despite having the carrier idle in 1943, it wasn't a very good year for Japan.

Bill

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 17
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/13/2015 5:10:37 AM   
rustysi

Not to hijack the thread (it is somewhat relevant), the US lost how many Fleet Carriers (not counting CVE's/CVL's)? Let's see... Lexington, Yorktown, Hornet, Wasp... I used to know this but alas... So there was one other IIRC (or was it two). Or was it only four? Anyone know?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/13/2015 5:15:53 AM   
rustysi

http://ffhiker.tripod.com/index-7.html

OK, just checked. According to the above link it was just the four.

P.S. I don't count the Langly as a CV even though she is CV-1.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 4/13/2015 9:34:20 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 19
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/13/2015 5:50:11 AM   
wdolson

Langley was not even a carrier by the start of the war. The flight deck had been partially removed.

In addition to losing the 4 CVs in 1942, the USN also had the remaining two damaged more than once. By the end of the 1942 battles the Enterprise needed to be withdrawn for an extended repair and refit. The Saratoga was available in 1943, but she was the only USN carrier available. The US borrowed a CV from the RN for part of 1943 to help have a little bit larger reserve force to counter the Japanese if they had tried anything, but their role was defensive until the new carriers were ready and the Enterprise was back near the end of the year.

The USN carrier airgroups were also going through massive expansion at this time and building up new carrier squadrons and training them into cohesive units was a priority.

Bill

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 20
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/13/2015 6:01:44 AM   
Anthropoid

Good link Rustysi . . . despite the spammyhacky popups

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 21
RE: Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in - 4/13/2015 11:15:04 PM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

What's the problem, you only lost 1 CV.....

Losing all of them is inconvenient.

But in 1944 I forget where some of them even are.....

Roger

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Do I even have a chance; lost Lexington 3 turns in Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI