using others' assets + homeworld mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

AlexD

using others' assets + homeworld mod

Post by AlexD »

Hi all,

I've been putting together a homeworld mod for my own use, it's very much a WIP but I was thinking of posting what I have so far here and on moddb. However, it's got pieces of other people's mods mixed in (since it was mainly a personal project), including:

Ship pictures from DeadlyShoe's 5 Homeworld Shipsets
Ships pictures from Kalthaniell's Shipyards
Ship designs from Icemania's AI Improvement Mod
Ship icons from fruitgnome's No annoying ship symbols mod
UI and environmental assets from KEBW1144's Stuff & Bits UI mod Updated and/or Martian's Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4

I don't mod much so I don't know the etiquette for using other people's stuff, or even if everyone I mentioned is active on these forums, but I figured I would send a heads up just in case before I post anything...
ehsumrell1

RE: using others' assets + homeworld mod

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: AlexD

I don't mod much so I don't know the etiquette for using other people's stuff, or even if everyone I mentioned is active on these forums, but I figured I would send a heads up just in case before I post anything...
Very kind of you to ask AlexD.

The best way is to either PM or email the mod author and request permission. Some authors request credit for
their mod labor, some do not. But then, some may not want their work shared, altered or tampered with either.
Some mods also have "fair use" agreements with other persons/entities whom have allowed music, art, etcetera
within their mod also.

You can use the 'Member List' link in the upper right corner of this page to search for the mod authors and
their contact information, if available. Good luck on your modding endeavors!
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Sometimes, modders include a statement in the main post of the thread where their mod can be found which grants use rights (which may be subject to some conditions, e.g. "cannot be used for commercial products, mods for other games, etc") to anyone who wants it, sometimes they say "ask and permission will be granted, but do ask first," sometimes they refuse use rights for all purposes. So start by checking the thread and looking for something that indicates the mod creator's position on use. If there's nothing in the thread which explicitly grants permission for you to use the mod as a part of your mod, then you ask the mod's creator for permission, perhaps with a post in the thread, or perhaps with a private message.

Beyond that, in any work you do, if you're making use of someone else's work in something that you're distributing, credit them for their work, preferably in something that gets distributed with whatever you used their work for as well as at the primary distribution site. With a mod, that means a readme.txt or something like that included in the zip folder as well as somewhere in the first post of your mod thread. If the work of those other people is not open for use without the creator's permission, indicate that when you credit them, and if you give permission to other people to make use of your own mod, make certain that they know that the permission you granted only applies to your own work and to any content from other people which is open for all to use.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Most of my stuff has a readme included, but I'll go ahead and simplify it for you. Basically any mod I've made (which are basically designed to be partial mods: IE the Royal Navy and IJN Shiplists, the silence the klaxon mod, and my small shipset) can be used in your mod. Be nice if you made a mention in your readme. [;)]

I do stuff like this for the fun of it, so I don't tend to get bent out of shape about things.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

I've done very little so far, but you're welcome to mod whatever i've done (but again, most of what I have is from others, so... they're the real ones to look at and talk to!)

Return to “Design and Modding”