Another R&D question...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JockJimmy

Another R&D question...

Post by JockJimmy »

Are 2x 15(0) R&D factories equal to 1x 30(0) in the production of R&D points?

I understand 30(0)are as big as you want to go but I can see advantages to using smaller factories:
(i)Two chances to repair a turn.
(ii) Will generate R&D points as soon as one factory is repaired.
(iii) Also you to spread your R&D (and eventually production) around many sites.

Thanks in advance. JJ.
Spidery

RE: Another R&D question...

Post by Spidery »

Each size fully repaired 15 factory produces an R&D point (2 if engine bonus available) on 50% of days. Each size 30 such factory produces a point (or 2) every day. So the mean value is the same but there is more randomness in the result.

Although there are two chances to repair, each chance is half that of the chance with a size 30 factory. The mean time to repair from an un-repaired state is the same in both cases. There is a small chance of an advantage because one factory may repair and advance the due date before the other factory has repaired.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Nice cogent reply, Spidery. [8D]

The unstated downside of this approach, JockJimmy, is in 'using up' your precious R&D factories with small, penny packet research programs.
JockJimmy

Post by JockJimmy »

Thanks for the replies. This is just what I was looking for.

@Chickenboy: Whilst I'm only starting to grasp the complexities of playing Japan it almost seems that I have more R&D factories than I can use, or rather expand. With approx 76x R&D factories surely it is too expensive to expand them all to 30(0)? Is in not better to have 2x15(0) rather than 1x 30(0) + 1x unused?

JJ.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: JockJimmy

Thanks for the replies. This is just what I was looking for.

@Chickenboy: Whilst I'm only starting to grasp the complexities of playing Japan it almost seems that I have more R&D factories than I can use, or rather expand. With approx 76x R&D factories surely it is too expensive to expand them all to 30(0)? Is in not better to have 2x15(0) rather than 1x 30(0) + 1x unused?

JJ.

My opinion: I want every R&D factory that I can lay my hands on as soon as possible, "producing" R&D as soon as possible. I want late war airframes and engines produced mid-war. I want mid-war airframes and engines to be produced early-mid war. It's the only way to keep a competitive edge against the Allied late war juggernaut.

So, in your example [2x15(0) versus 1x30 +1x unused] it's probably a push. My assertion is that you should not have 1x unused research factory anywhere in the early war timeframe.
JockJimmy

Post by JockJimmy »

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just being conservative as I have warnings about over-expansion ringing in my ears and I don't want to get to mid '43 (after hundreds of hours of playing!) and find everything falls apart because of a mistake made during the first week.
Therefore I was looking to have the capacity of about 600x 1-E and 200x 2-E per month by mid '43 (plus a concurrent R&D effort), or 36k HI p/m, is this too conservative?

JJ.
fcharton

Post by fcharton »

As the game advances, you will want to convert some of those R&D factories to production units when the model they research is ready. This lets you start producing at once, and saves on repair costs (unless the new model is an upgrade of one you are already building). You will especially need those conversions if you play PDU Off, because the number of different models you have to produce will increase as the war goes on.

As a result, you will "lose" R&D factories over time, and this is best done one factory at a time (to maximize future R&D).

In the end, you want all of your R&D factories to have been built to 30, and most of them to have been turned to production. At 1000 SP per repair, this means a lot of supply (for 76 30 pt factories, over 2 million supply points...)

Francois

Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just being conservative as I have warnings about over-expansion ringing in my ears and I don't want to get to mid '43 (after hundreds of hours of playing!) and find everything falls apart because of a mistake made during the first week.
Therefore I was looking to have the capacity of about 600x 1-E and 200x 2-E per month by mid '43 (plus a concurrent R&D effort), or 36k HI p/m, is this too conservative?

JJ.

It all depends on your opponent and how aggressive you are. In my game in April 1943, I currently have factories for a total of 527 engines for IJN aircraft and 602 engines for IJA aircraft per month. Of those 1129 engines per month, I currently have 527 shut off. If you have an aggressive opponent, your numbers will be higher. Note that my factory totals are the following:

IJN
220 fighter
16 TB (very light Kate losses to date mainly because I have yet to fight a carrier battle)
70 DB
6 Rcn
27 FP
60 2E LB
10 FB
14 TR

IJA
248 fighter
130 LB
12 TR
15 FB
20 Rcn