Soviet Front HQs

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

garydj

Soviet Front HQs

Post by garydj »

Hi

I'm wondering whether it matters how close an Army HQ is to its Front HQ. I'm playing the Soviets against another human player and it is May '42, but I have almost no APs. When I shift an army from one part of the front to another, I sometimes change the Front HQ to which the Army HQ reports. This costs 50+ APs, unless you get lucky with the admin check and get the transfer at half price. I'm wondering whether I should have just moved armies around as needed and not worried about to which Front HQ they are attached.

Grateful for all comments and advice.

Cheers

Gary
loki100

RE: Soviet Front HQs

Post by loki100 »

In the main, I'd keep armies close to their front.

One reason is that the chance of the front commander helping out with leadership checks is related to how close they are. By 1942 most of your Front commanders should be good, but your armies will be a more mixed group.

Second reason is if (& you often do) you need to mix 2 armies in the same attack. If they are in the same front, there's a 10% penalty for the 'second' army but if its across front the penalty is about 30% (forget the exact number). That means for every 3 divisions you commit, one is in effect discounted.

Finally air support is by front, so if you have armies all over the place, it maybe hard to ensure that your air is working effectively.

Its usually worth shuffling around and/or paying the Admin price rather than having too much mixed up. But, as ever, its a case sometimes of choosing the least bad option
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

iN MAY 1942 you have 52 armies HQ.

I asign 40 to fronts (4 each),
4 to Moscow Md -these can reinforce the norther wing if necesary but they are usually passed to Stepe front in 1943.
4 to Volga Md- these can reinforce the center if necesary but they are usually passed to Voronej front in july 1942.
4 to Stavka -these can reinforce the southern wing if necesary but they are usually passed to 3rd ukrainan front in nov 1942.
garydj

Post by garydj »

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Gary

Return to “The War Room”