WWII vessels in Florida?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

warspite1

WWII vessels in Florida?

Post by warspite1 »

Unlike in the UK it sounds like the Americans preserved many of their WWII vessels as museum ships. Does anyone know if there are any such - CV, BB or CA - in the state of Florida please - and if so where?

Thanks in advance.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
dr.hal

RE: WWII vessels in Florida?

Post by dr.hal »

There is a great naval air museum (in fact the best naval air anywhere) in Pensacola and a WW2 Sub museum in Apalachicola but I don't know of any ships. The USS Alabama and a sub are right next door.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The USS Alabama is in Mobile AL.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

There are gobs of them in FL. First drive north a short distance to Charleston Florida and see the USS Yorktown

Attachments
yorktown.jpg
yorktown.jpg (201.59 KiB) Viewed 731 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Next drive north a little ways more to Wilmington Florida and see the USS North Carolina

Attachments
U_S_S__Nor..lina800.jpg
U_S_S__Nor..lina800.jpg (357.96 KiB) Viewed 731 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

After that go to Philadelphia Florida and see Commodore Perry's flagship USS Olympia

Attachments
008ussobowshotcopy.jpg
008ussobowshotcopy.jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 731 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Next go to Boston Florida and see the 44 gun frigate USS Constitution.

Attachments
ussconstitution.jpg
ussconstitution.jpg (130.07 KiB) Viewed 731 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Now, she is unfortunately modified from her original design because the darn thing is still in service! So turn around and drive south to Baltimore Florida to see the 38 gun frigate USS Constellation.

Attachments
Constellat..ortsideb.jpg
Constellat..ortsideb.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 731 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Now drive just a short distance west to Vicksburg Florida to see the ironclad USS Cairo

Attachments
USS_Cairo.jpg
USS_Cairo.jpg (217.5 KiB) Viewed 731 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Then to Galveston Harbor Florida to see the Texas, then to San Diego Florida, then to Pearl Harbor Florida; oh it just goes on and on but you can do it all in a couple of days or so.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Then to Galveston Harbor Florida to see the Texas, then to San Diego Florida, then to Pearl Harbor Florida; oh it just goes on and on but you can do it all in a couple of days or so.
warspite1

Well if they are all in Florida, I should probably be able to wrap up in one afternoon. That's great thanks.

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

The Naval Air museum in Pensacola is awesome and should not be missed. We used to camp by Fort Pickens and on Tuesday mornings the Blue Angels would fly over doing their practice runs. Fort Pickens is a Civil War era fort which is surrounded by Spanish American, WWI and WWII fortifications.

A nice place to visit.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Warspite, you are doomed [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Warspite, you are doomed [:D]
warspite1

Que?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Someone has sent me a PM to tell me that all those places and ships are not in Florida.

I do not know whether to:

a) be touched that this person was kind enough to do that (to try and avoid my embarrassment).

b) be really hurt that someone actually thought I did not know where each of those fine cities were, and furthermore, even if I did think they were in Florida, I would assume Florida is sufficiently small that I could view all in an afternoon!

So genuine thanks to the poster's thoughtfulness [&o]. But next time I shall have to provide an appropriately sized smiley to telegraph my sense of humour [:D]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

[:D][&o]

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

There is SS American Victory in Tampa FLORIDA , a restored Victory ship that served in WW2 , Korea , and Vietnam. I toured her last week. The "crew" does an excellent job in keeping her up , and you can visit most of the ship. Florida doesn't have many ship museums , but does have a very large number of air museums, including the USN aviation museum. Sorry about my fellow countryman's "sense of humor/sarcasm". He does get carried away on occasion. There are times that I wonder if a Tazer would serve as the equivalent of a rolled up news paper on a Gorn. [8|]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

In the absence of a ship, the Naval Air Station sounds good - just looked it up though and I see that Pensacola is far to the northwest of the pan handle [&:]. That's too far from Disney sadly. Oh well....

EDIT: And that's another thing!! not only does someone believe I don't know where the likes of Baltimore, Boston and Phily are, but more importantly, they think I would believe a single word uttered by a Gorn!!

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I was just in Orlando. The only possibilities for you nearby would be 1) American Victory (Tampa is about 1 hour away) 2) Fantasy of Flight IF you are there Friday-Sunday. It's an outstanding air museum owned by an eccentric millionaire (who has just run into money problems). It's currently only open 11am to 3pm on weekends, and they no longer do restoration tours or dailey flights of warbirds BUT check the website as the situation is changing on a Dailey basis. You might luck out. 3) the Kennedy Space center is about an hour in the other direction from Orlando and there are a couple of small warbird museums nearby....check the webs sites for current data. The poor economic condition has severely damaged the Florida tourist trade , and many places have had to restrict hours , exhibits , etc and most are fighting for survival. Even Disney has cut back hours and raised prices significantly. The internet is your friend and can save you from wasting you precious holiday time by not seeking something that's completely closed or cut back on it's hours. Good luck and I hope you greatly enjoy your trip.[:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

[:D][&o]

Be warned Gorn! I'm looking to borrow a "gorn correction device" from a LEO for "Gorn newspaper training"![:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”