Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie? - 2/12/2015 4:31:38 AM   
rainman2015

Hey yall from Texhas!

I am an old time wargamer from the 70s and 80s (rewrote the original War in the Pacific SPI game rules entirely back in the day, yes, i know all about WiTPAE but i am going to wait on that one until i invade Russia for awhile), and had gotten away from wargames for about 10 years while raising kids and playing in intense strat-o-matic sports leagues instead for my gaming fun. BUT, my wargamer (that is, my MONSTER wargamer, has come fully back out the last month, and the first game i bought is War in the East, and i am plowing thru the rules and tutorials and after action reports, etc trying to get a handle on it. Very glad to be back, wondering what the heck i was doing not playing for 10 years now! :)

Intros out of the way, i initially avoided installing and learning the game using the 1.08 beta rules, but the more i read the forums, etc, i am starting to wonder if i am making a mistake using the old 1.07 rules. I am trying to figure out how to use the awesome map and interface mod done by Jison, and someone in that thread talked about how the combo of the new map/interface combined with the 1.08 rules really took the game to a whole new level, so some questions.

1) Is the 1.08 mod OK to learn the game with?

2) Is the 1.08 mod stable (i.e. not buggy)? As a new player, i may not even know when a bug is happening, so not being buggy is a really good thing for sure.

3) What about the 1.08 mod makes it a must have? The new info about the leaders being more prominent sounds much better for sure.

4) When will the 1.08 mod be not in beta mode approximately?

Thanks, and very happy to be invading Mother Russia once again, and to have re-found Grigsby and a whole bunch of fellow wargamers!

Thanks for the advice!
Randy
:)
Post #: 1
RE: Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie? - 2/12/2015 6:19:53 AM   
morvael

Welcome to WitE forums!

1) I think so, everyone will be playing it, so even if there are bugs it's better to learn current meta.
2) It is stable in the computer sense, but in such complicated game as WitE, where it takes years (or months if it would be your sole occupation) to complete a full PBEM campaign, it's very hard to assess impact on balance that some code and data changes have. This is basically changing from patch to patch. For some it makes the game more interesting, as they have to adapt rather than replay known tactics.
3) There is much better element and aircraft upgrade/swap code which better utilizes available resources, there is an ability to impact production priorities. There are many more, including interesting bug fixes, but I can't list them all here :)
4) I don't know, depends on how actively the players will use 1.08.02 to find out if there are any serious issues.

(in reply to rainman2015)
Post #: 2
RE: Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie? - 2/12/2015 12:03:43 PM   
heliodorus04

quote:

ORIGINAL: rainman2015

Hey yall from Texhas!

I am an old time wargamer from the 70s and 80s (rewrote the original War in the Pacific SPI game rules entirely back in the day, yes, i know all about WiTPAE but i am going to wait on that one until i invade Russia for awhile), and had gotten away from wargames for about 10 years while raising kids and playing in intense strat-o-matic sports leagues instead for my gaming fun. BUT, my wargamer (that is, my MONSTER wargamer, has come fully back out the last month, and the first game i bought is War in the East, and i am plowing thru the rules and tutorials and after action reports, etc trying to get a handle on it. Very glad to be back, wondering what the heck i was doing not playing for 10 years now! :)

Intros out of the way, i initially avoided installing and learning the game using the 1.08 beta rules, but the more i read the forums, etc, i am starting to wonder if i am making a mistake using the old 1.07 rules. I am trying to figure out how to use the awesome map and interface mod done by Jison, and someone in that thread talked about how the combo of the new map/interface combined with the 1.08 rules really took the game to a whole new level, so some questions.

1) Is the 1.08 mod OK to learn the game with?

2) Is the 1.08 mod stable (i.e. not buggy)? As a new player, i may not even know when a bug is happening, so not being buggy is a really good thing for sure.

3) What about the 1.08 mod makes it a must have? The new info about the leaders being more prominent sounds much better for sure.

4) When will the 1.08 mod be not in beta mode approximately?

Thanks, and very happy to be invading Mother Russia once again, and to have re-found Grigsby and a whole bunch of fellow wargamers!

Thanks for the advice!
Randy

1) Yes. I recommend this version over any previous version.
2) Yes it is stable. I've played every 'beta' patch released. I have never had a crash. Matrix is pretty regimented about official releases. As such, things tend to have the 'beta' label for a long time.
3) Air war air war air war air war.
4) Not a question you need worry about given (2).

Do not wait to buy & play :)

Clementia
Aeqvitas

(in reply to rainman2015)
Post #: 3
RE: Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie? - 2/13/2015 2:09:49 AM   
rainman2015

Thanks, am running v1.08.02 now. Looks like the main rules book is NOT updated yet with the latest 1.08 rules changes, so i will need to print out both the 1.08.01 and 1.08.02 sets of change logs in addition to the main 1.07 rules book.

Now, figuring out how to load that awesome map mod! :)

Randy

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Intro, and 1.07 or 1.08 for Newbie? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI