From: The True North. Strong and Free
Erik, thanks again for this opportunity. Believe me, to many folks just this dialogue is a dream come true.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
This is purely a hypothetical question, so please don't get overly excited.
Nope, you can't tell me what to do. At any moment now I might very well get extremely excited.
You had some Q's
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
If you look back to the original Steel Panthers and all the releases since, what do you consider the most significant and important improvements since the original?
* Game Editors. All of them.
* PBEM (and online play too)
* The willingness of the dev's and programmers to interact with, and listen to the people.
* The above mentioned acting upon many of the valid suggestions presented to them.
* A consistent, solid, knowledgeable community (thanks internet). I would like to add, one that is overall a very grown-up, mature and respectful bunch. Super easy to work with.
* Tools and Mods and other stuff that this community has continued to develop.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
If a new Steel Panthers were to come into being tomorrow, what do you feel should be its key features and strengths ...
A refinement of the combat routines. As most everyone states, the philosophy (and the math) driving the game engine for combat works pretty damn good. That part ain't really broken, no need to start from scratch IMHO.
Of course there still would/should be changes - all for the better of course
Starting fresh there can be way more granularity (is that the right word?) in all the various calculations.
Armor values/damage etc etc all expanded and dialled in.
* 2D Top Down. 50 meter hexes. Don't ever need to mess with that.
* More slots for everything. Keep those Grognards happy.
* Improved video resolution, it certainly doesn't need to be HD quality buts lets get in the 21st century at least with this.
* Better integration / improved functionality of all the editors. Learn from Chlanda's and ectizen's apps, see what they access and adjust, that's what we want. That's what we need!
The canvas needs to be improved.
OK, first off. I know nuthin' from nuthin', so if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about it's because I don't.
There's dozens and dozens of PC games out there that have the geography as an important feature. Matrix has prolly got more than a few in their stable. Of course they do.
Can something a bit more realistic looking be borrowed / copied / ported over? Something?
Maps have got to be multi-level. Lots and lots of levels.
And larger, way larger.
Irregardless, Map editing should be easier for the end user. Expanded options / improved functionality. Palettes and graphics in way, way more accessible/editable formats. Or the proper tools provided for the job.
Allow the ability to easily add custom packages.
Hey! What would be completely fantastic would be the ability to import topo maps from one of the various services out there. Is that even possible?
Ideally, I kinda envision a system where a topographical map is generated with levels of, let's say 2 meters or so. The layers are created with no respect towards the hex-grid. I mean that there could be different levels (and terrain for that matter) in a single hex. From there all geographical attributes and graphical icons are easily added with the tools provided.
I could go on and on and on .....
I had a thought, In a brand new version, what if the hex-grid is not based on the map, but on the Unit. Does that make any sense. Is this a new and exciting idea, or old and something I've stolen?
Whatever, I digress.
IMHO, if Matrix wishes to move forward at all with SPWaW, there's one thing that you guys could investigate that would showcase to all that Matrix is back in the game (SPWaW wise at least).
Look into increasing the video resolution of what we have right now. If that other mob could pull that off with even older code, I'm thinkin' that Matrix could also make that play. Like I typed above, I know nothing except that in the year 2015 it should be at least a possibility. I'm hopin'.
You get that done, and all by itself you've got SPWaW V9.0 for (I dunno) little effort.
Notice Served, Matrix is serious.
I think you'd be very surprised at who would come out of the woodwork if that was announced. I think the talent pool for the building of the next iteration would be amazing.
That's enough out of me for now.
edited for clarity
< Message edited by Major Mess -- 2/12/2015 8:44:51 PM >
Click on the Banner for the SPWaW Enhanced-FR Full Install D/L.