CP Coming Off Sentry During Return to Base

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

To say the least this (potential) bug is frustrating me to no end and costing me significant time in having to back up to the Stay at Sea Phase. Even then when replaying that phase (four times so far), this (potential) bug keeps popping up. The situation is that the 5 CW CPs in the North Atlantic are, or appear to be on sentry. Note the light pink status indicator in the upper left hand corner of the counter. All's fine right. Wrong! If I click on the 5 CP unit during the return to base phase then it goes off sentry. In fact I believe this status indicator to be false and the 5 CPs aren't really on sentry. I'm not sure, but I want (need) them to stay at sea. And this isn't the only sea area where this occurs. I'm going to go back and redo the return to base phase for a fifth time and try to keep the CPs and ships at sea that I want to stay at sea. Regardless of whether or not this is a bug or I'm bonkers, it would be nice to have an override feature that let one keep CPs, and even ships, at sea that decided on their own to return to base. I know this could be abused by cheaters but this feature alone would save me several hours per game from having to back up and replay the stay at sea phase.

Attachments
CPOffSentry.jpg
CPOffSentry.jpg (1010.57 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: CP Coming Off Sentry During Return to Base

Post by rkr1958 »

Game turn attached. By the way, I playing was the latest public beta version 1.3.3.
Attachments
CPOffSentry.zip
(1.48 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Ronnie
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I was just coming to post the same thing (along with another problem). It took me over an hour to do the stay at sea/RTB phase thanks to this annoyance.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Isn't this the same issue as we were discussing here:

tm.asp?m=3796791&mpage=1&#3798269

?
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

tm.asp?m=3796791&mpage=1�

?
Oh, so as I understand it the ability to take convoys off sentry during the return to base is intentional? If so, it'd be nice to have the ability to put CP on sentry that were either left off in the stay at sea phase or accidentally cycled off during the return to base phase. In my opinion it's just to easy to accidentally click on a CP during RTB and then, given the way it is now, have to go back to the auto-save and start the phase over again.
Ronnie
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

tm.asp?m=3796791&mpage=1�

?

No.

That's an intentional change that will allow you to take a cp off of sentry during the RTB phase. This is about cp's that were put on sentry taking themselves off sentry during the RTB phase when there's not a damn thing you can do to fix it (until the next version, at least). But even when we can put cp's back on sentry in this phase, it will still be a bug if they are taking themselves off sentry, just a less annoying one.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Looking at the OP again, it seems he was in fact talking about the same issue I brought up in the other thread, which will be addressed by the change in the next patch allowing convoys to be put on sentry during the RTB phase.

However, there is also the problem I mentioned above - cp's are taking themselves off sentry.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That will be tough to fix without a saved game where it can be repeated. The one I was familiar with from personal experience was this one from the release notes of 1.3.3.0:

"January 17, 2015 - Fixed the problem with the end-of-phase button being disabled for the Return to Base phases when a major power had units at sea on sentry which could return to base, but no units that absolutely had to return to base. In these cases the end-of-phase button is now enabled."

In that one, you had to return at least one CP to get the green light back on so you could end the phase, because no other naval units were selectable.

When it was first noticed, I (and I suspect others) became ultra careful during the Stay at Sea phase and I became convinced I'd "over-clicked" on some CPs in that phase in my attempts to ensure everything was how I wanted - but in fact had left some CPs with green dots on them without realizing it.

So I'm wondering if that was kind of an "artificial" cause for when people thought sentried CPs were returning of their own volition. But anyway, the next beta release should help with keeping them on sentry in any of those phases, and even moreso a saved game where that problem is repeatable would help.
Paul
dhucul2011

Post by dhucul2011 »

Here is my saved game for start of CW RTB.

All of the CPs were on sentry at end of Stay at Sea. Program does not recognize ANY of the CPs as being on sentry.
Attachments
David1.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

deleted
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: dhucul

Here is my saved game for start of CW RTB.

All of the CPs were on sentry at end of Stay at Sea. Program does not recognize ANY of the CPs as being on sentry.
I was able to load that game. (The file is not damaged, I had some issue with my PC the other night, I guess)

The behavior you describe is the result of the bug fix where sentry CPs were returning to base and messing up production, and/or if all naval units stayed at sea, you could not end the phase without RTBing at least one CP. It had gone undiscovered until someone provided a save game in which they wanted every one of their naval units to stay at sea. There was a recent discussion that confirmed the design intent always was to allow a player to change his mind in the RTB step as to whether a CP stayed on Sentry or not, even though the code initially performed otherwise in the public release.

So the problem for the CW is finding the ships that must RTB (as opposed to those that now may RTB - like all the CPs) - there are only a few - the sub and the Yugo SCS in the Italian Coast Sea Zone. Be careful with the Yugo SCS as it can't RTB to Gibraltar or Malta due to cooperation issues. All the CW CPs were on sentry when I opened the game file - they all had the pink status indicator. And they all will remain at sea. RTB the Yugo SCS and the Sub and the green light will come on to end the phase for the CW. I noticed a lot of the French CPs did not have Sentry status - was that intended?

In your case where you have so many CPs out (often occurs with the CW) and so few ships that must RTB, the best way to find the ones that must RTB - when you can't remember - is to open up Naval Review Details (NRD) and then use the red arrows in the Main Form at the top to cycle through all the eligible units (many of which will be CPs of course). At any rate, as you click the red arrows, the NRD should show each successive sea zone and you can hover over the units in the NRD to see if they are staying at sea or on sentry. If neither, than you've found ones that must RTB.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Also, if you accidently click on a CP during the RTB phase, you can still put it back on sentry, by rightclicking on it after you have pressed <ESC>, which puts the unit back into the seabox. In this menu, you can designate the convoy to go on sentry again. After that, you don't have to return the convoy to base anymore.
Peter
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Also, if you accidently click on a CP during the RTB phase, you can still put it back on sentry, by rightclicking on it after you have pressed <ESC>, which puts the unit back into the seabox. In this menu, you can designate the convoy to go on sentry again. After that, you don't have to return the convoy to base anymore.
Is that functionality in the latest public beta version 1.3.3? Because when I right click on a CP after taking if off sentry I don't get the option to put it back on.
Ronnie

Return to “Tech Support”