Taking Moscow

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Dr. Foo

Taking Moscow

Post by Dr. Foo »

Just wondering what are the effects going into winter if I take one of the Moscow hexes?

On my first snow turn in Nov 41 I threw everything I had at a Moscow hex and I took the hex. Will this greatly effect Russian morale, production and manpower?

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
jwolf

RE: Taking Moscow

Post by jwolf »

No effect on morale. Possibly an effect on production, depending on whether or not any factories were still there when you walked in. Manpower will take a hit (I don't know how much). That hex will give you a good anchor for the winter line in that sector, though it is likely to come under fierce counterattack.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Thanks! I was hoping for a morale drop due to losing a portion of the city. I have a river in front of me so I hope that will help me hold it until the spring. What turn will winter end so I can bring the Panzers out from the cities?
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

The harsh first winter rules last 3 months, December-February. It's a long, dreary, cold winter. [:(] Do note that the river will freeze and then it has no defense benefit. Same with swamps and also some hexsides that are impassable otherwise become passable during the winter. However, there is always a strong defense benefit for urban terrain, especially heavy urban. Good luck!
SunTsu

Post by SunTsu »

Moscow is a very critical city for the russians. Usually the factories will be evacuated before the city falls but Moscow also has plenty of manpower points and it is a very important railway hub. If the russians loose Moscow it is very difficult for them to win the game
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

Losing Moscow hurts the Sov manpower for sure, but you as the Axis player need to apply more pressure at this point to make it critical. In the following year(s) make sure you are taking every opportunity to attrit him down. Don't only go for big encirclements and then go turtle, any time you see a vulnerable hex, smack it. You need to keep his losses of manpower up. Obviously cutting them off and killing is best, but don't forget to grind when you can.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Your opponent should mass the best armies he has and counterattack when blizzard comes, early december and try to retake Moscow. He can do it when blizzard comes. The hex itself is easy to defend, but he can try the pincer from north and south in the clear/light forest hexes.

Don't tell him that.

In my soviet game against the AI, the AI did not even come close to take it (AI agressiveness could be better). I am playing turn 28 and i think I will be able to retake Smolensk and/or Velikye Luki in january 1942.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Taking West Moscow is meaningless in any circumstance without taking all of Moscow.
I don't even try Moscow anymore (unless I'm having a good game and can do it in 1942). If you get the opponent to move the Factories, that's as big a win as you're going to get in 1941.
If, by some miracle, you take all of Moscow, you still can't hold it over the winter, so the manpower issue is fairly moot. If you hold Moscow in 42, you're probably going to win.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”