First Mud Turn!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Dr. Foo

First Mud Turn!

Post by Dr. Foo »

OK, here I am only the second time I have made it to mud. The first time caught me by surprise and I was well behind my objectives and without hope.

This time is much better but I'm still behind.

AGN was poised to attempt to assault Leningrad now...I don't see it happening.

AGC is one hex from Moscow...one hex!

AGS might be able to take Rostov depending on what is there.

Casualties so far:

so what now? Do I pull back the Panzers and form a line for the winter or press on a few more turns?
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
jwolf

RE: First Mud Turn!

Post by jwolf »

Is this game vs AI or a human player? You could afford more risks against the AI.

My opinions, for what they're worth: push hard around Moscow; not so much in the other two fronts. For AGC, you can clear the pocketed units (at least I think they are -- can't tell for sure in this pic) during the mud with infantry. You'll have 3 snow turns in November to surround and/or storm Moscow and I think you have a decent chance to do it, especially vs the AI. For AGN, I don't think you can crack Leningrad in just 3 turns although it might just be possible. In AGS, I would try to pocket and destroy whatever Soviet units you can grab, then retreat or reform lines for the winter. In fact, it looks like the Russians have pretty much abandoned the south so you might be able to take empty territory and destroy rail lines, then retreat to more secure lines and you'll probably be in good shape throughout December at least.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Agree @jwolf. Always useful to know AI or not and balance factors to evaluate chances. Assuming factors level @100 and AI, Leningrad & Moscow not possible (great to get to "1 hex," though.) Rostov is not worth any risk at this time. I'd clean up the cheese laying in front of you, retreat and prepare your winter line. Looks like you've great '42 opportunity.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Thank for the input. This is a game vs. AI. I don't think my breakdown of armor and surround approach would work for long against a human but it works every time vs. the AI. [:D]

I agree with all of the above. The South is a desert, I have not encounter much since breaking through at Stalino. I like the suggestion to move forward destroy rail and then fall back. From Tula to Rostov there are not many units. Everything is in front of Moscow and Leningrad. I had hoped to have taken Leningrad but just when I was about to begin the assault the mud hit.

OK, getting ready for my first winter. I've had this game since it first came out and this is the furthest I have got!

Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

What is the consensus on attacking during mud and winter turns? From what I gather. During mud, planed Infantry attacks are OK. During snow both Armor and Infantry attacks are possible. During blizzard, no attacks are possible.

jwolf

Post by jwolf »

You can attack during the blizzard, but you need to be very selective about it. During the first winter your CVs will be much lower, especially in December. CV recovers a bit in January, some more in February, and finally back to normal in March. Typically the German player is defensive in December, mostly defensive in January, and February is more give and take. But a lot depends on local conditions and the overall state of the Red army.

As for mud attacks, normally I don't do any except to clear out pocketed units, and then only with infantry. Let the panzers rest.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”