Map Creation - How to Simulate Defilade Positions?

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

HoustonAerosFan

Map Creation - How to Simulate Defilade Positions?

Post by HoustonAerosFan »

When making a map, how would one simulate the cover provided vehicular units using terrain to create a "hull down" position (where only the turret is visible to the enemy)? Think back to the old SPI board games like Panzer '44 or October War here.

I'm thinking maybe a hedge might work for Europe, but what about the desert? Maybe dunes? Unfortunately, there is no "ridge" hex side in the CS (hint).

Also, what about such a position where there is a change in elevation? What would happen if one put a hedge or wall or sand dune on a hex side where one the hex on one side is higher than the other side?

Any thoughts or solutions?

Thanks!
Jason Petho

RE: Map Creation - How to Simulate Defilade Positions?

Post by Jason Petho »

Placing a tank on a higher elevation will reduce the attacker attack value by ~10%.

Placing a tank behind a hedge, dunes or low wall will reduce the attacker attack value by ~20%.

Placing a tank inside an improved position will reduce the attacker attack value by ~25%.

So placing a tank on a higher elevation, behind a dune or low wall and in an improved position will reduce the combat attacker attack value by ~55%, giving you a pretty decent hull down solution/representation.

In theory [;)]

Jason Petho
HoustonAerosFan

Thanks, Jason![&o]

So, the system will recognize a dune on a hex side where there is a change in elevation? I was wondering as the graphics generated doing this aren't always pretty....
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

No, they aren't pretty, but will still function! [:)]
HoustonAerosFan

One note for the developers - placing an embankment hex side (to simulate a "bump" in the terrain) on a hex side between two hexes of the same elevation shows up in 2D but not in 3D (I guess because embankments alter the way the terrain "rise" looks in 3D). I assume this hex side is active even if not shown in 3D. Just something for the developers if they want to tackle it - maybe it needs to show up as a bump in this case.

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”