Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr Game over :-)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

njp72

Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr Game over :-)

Post by njp72 »

Hi all after a few years of playing I thought this time I would create an AAR for this game.

Game: DBB Scenario 2 with stacking Limits

HRs: very little, no restricted units moving without paying pps, altitude limits over the 3 years(initially 20K in 41/42 and no night bombing of airfields.

Opponent: Wargmr: A truly wonderful opponent who is sharp, committed and very well detailed in his planning. Our first game is still ongoing and despite the occasional sting I have delivered to him, his ability to manoeuvre around my strong points has cost me the war (China ahhhh). To illustrate the spirit in which the original game has been played, there has not been one dispute between us throughout the entirety of the war which is close to being in 45.
I have no doubt he will commence planning his counter attacks almost immediately. His attention to detail and planning I believe are very formidable.

Concept of Ops: Having played this game for a few years now as the rising sun, I am convinced that to remain competitive in the war, heavy blows have to be delivered in the first 12 months. Only by destroying significant amounts of Allied material will you amass sufficient points to starve off the inevitable slaughter of 44/45.

The additional units in Sce 2 will allow me to exert additional pressure on the Allies without compromising the overall war effort. Singapore and the Philippines will be bypassed and I intend to sail into either Sydney Harbour, Alaska or Karachi within the first 30-40 days of the war (I have identified the one but all will be revealed). China will of course be smashed.

Updates: My IT skills are very average and I am quite time poor. The AAR will be updated in bursts as we progress.

Banzai [:D]

njp72

RE: Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr (no wargmr)

Post by njp72 »

China

Northern China is particularly vulnerable at the commencement of war and a western thrust towards Sian is very difficult to stop.

Once we hit clear terrain the Chinese ability to resist will decrease dramatically.

Key objectives will be Sian and Lanchow in the first 2 to 3 months.

Attachments
WIPAEChina2.gif
WIPAEChina2.gif (299.18 KiB) Viewed 786 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

DEI

3 initial stages all of which need to be completed prior to New Years 42.

Greatest danger is during stage 1 until air bases can be secured for air cover and search.

Furthermore PoW and Repulse escaped undamaged during the commencement of hostilities which is always a concern. They are convoy killers.

Regardless there will be sufficient naval assets in place to ensure the key protection of the troops :-)

Attachments
DEIWIPAE.gif
DEIWIPAE.gif (370.5 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Go for Alaska, pretty please![:)]

obvert

Post by obvert »

Looking forward to it. I would say also that looking from his AAR side you're a formidable Japanese player!

One thing I question is the statement about planting heavy blows on the Allied side to stave off later Allied success. I tried that too and in my first long game got into mid-45 but ended up running low on fuel and supply which doomed the game to a historical end, more or less.

If you're planing to try to get to 46 what about simply hitting hard and fast in the historical range of conquests and then building an active and reactive defense? One thing certain players have done (that I haven't mastered) is the ability to counter invade and stop Allied progress. PzB was very good at this and recently I think Mr Kane had some success with simply stopping cold some Allied invasions through quick reaction with heavy force. The prep of the Allied forces is an achilles heel if you can stop him in a big one somewhere unexpected.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it anyway.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Looking forward to it. I would say also that looking from his AAR side you're a formidable Japanese player!

Agree!

One thing I question is the statement about planting heavy blows on the Allied side to stave off later Allied success. I tried that too and in my first long game got into mid-45 but ended up running low on fuel and supply which doomed the game to a historical end, more or less.

Thanks to you, we now have a much better scenario one guideline of supplies, resources, oil and fuel to shoot for during the game! You were pretty much blind, as I can remember July 43 posts in your AAR about your levels & seeking advice and it was pretty much no one knew what levels to shoot for!
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Lol, that is a big ask but it does offer possibilities and excitement!

It does leave the DEI a little exposed though :-)
ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Go for Alaska, pretty please![:)]

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Actually, given your house rules, go for Canada too. Restricted Allies can't cross borders, perhaps you can get auto victory? Somebody did the math once, and it is doable I believe.[:D]

Canada is really weak, and while you are there, trash the Boeing factory in a surprise KB strike. If you were to divert the KB there after Pearl, you might even catch a lone carrier. So many positives.

You would be my hero![&o]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Thanks Gents, your comments and thoughts are very welcomed.

I learnt a considerable amount from Obvert's wonderful AAR. I learnt too late what Obvert was already telling anyone who was smart enough to listen- it is not about HI but supply.

Due to my crumbling supply situation in my first game I decided not to defend to far forward but fight around the Home Islands where I thought I had a chance- logistically anyway.

I think the best defence is one in depth that has strong points with local reserves based slightly in the rear beyond observation. Wargmr is a very clever player who will simply move around any identified positions which are too strongly held.

I will have to do a far better job of holding onto the oil as well this game (oil = supply).

As to landing heavy blows. I believe if good allied players remain largely untouched into 43 the chances of putting together a credible defence diminishes greatly. By putting enormous pressure on the Allies early on, I am hoping he has to expose some of his critical assets (CVs) and even a lucky I-Boat can then have a strategic impact :-)

Just my thoughts.

Agree!

Thanks to you, we now have a much better scenario one guideline of supplies, resources, oil and fuel to shoot for during the game! You were pretty much blind, as I can remember July 43 posts in your AAR about your levels & seeking advice and it was pretty much no one knew what levels to shoot for!
njp72

Post by njp72 »

I had a good laugh at that comment :-)

If I could accomplish the objectives as stated below I would be my own hero :-)

Alas the die is cast, the rubicon has been crossed, the fleets are D+4 now so we will just have to wait until they pop up ;-)

Probably in around 20-25 days.

Actually, given your house rules, go for Canada too. Restricted Allies can't cross borders, perhaps you can get auto victory? Somebody did the math once, and it is doable I believe.[:D]

Canada is really weak, and while you are there, trash the Boeing factory in a surprise KB strike. If you were to divert the KB there after Pearl, you might even catch a lone carrier. So many positives.

You would be my hero![&o]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Do you have a house rule for strategic bombing in China?
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Welcome aboard Yaab

Nope, but I tend not to do it. I will pretty much have China where I want it by the end of 42 without committing any additional assets nor strat bombing.

I intend to unleash the fury elsewhere :-)

cheers

ORIGINAL: Yaab

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: njp72

Welcome aboard Yaab

Nope, but I tend not to do it. I will pretty much have China where I want it by the end of 42 without committing any additional assets nor strat bombing.

cheers

Not sure what version or mod your last game was using, but if it was stock and you're moving to DBB with SL now it could be a different case in China. If Wargmr can get to spots and set up in x3 China can be very tough on the Japanese. It's not impossible but it might be tougher with the SL if you're using most free troops elsewhere. That all depends on how your opponent defends, though.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Rethink that, I think. If you play for a relatively quiet China, and let it build strength constantly it will be tough, very tough. You can trash a lot of industry pretty quickly and that should slow the buildup.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Thanks Obvert

My last couple of game have been with SL DBB and thus I have an appreciation of how it is considerably tougher than stock.

The other factor is Wargmr is a far better player than the previous game and hence he won't repeat the same mistakes around Sian as last time.

In saying that I am still confident of breaking through into the plains by early 43 through the current forces at my disposal, some additional armour units from Manchuria and some moderate air support.

Actually taking the capital is another question entirely and last time I baulked at the heavy losses required. I suspect this time I will need to harden up and take it :-)

Welcome aboard Yaab

cheers

Not sure what version or mod your last game was using, but if it was stock and you're moving to DBB with SL now it could be a different case in China. If Wargmr can get to spots and set up in x3 China can be very tough on the Japanese. It's not impossible but it might be tougher with the SL if you're using most free troops elsewhere. That all depends on how your opponent defends, though.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Have no fear it will not be quiet. :-)

Assaulting and capturing the capital will present a formidable challenge though.

I have found the real problem in China is when Commonwealth and US forces get into the mix. Stopping them and their armour is a nightmare.

Rethink that, I think. If you play for a relatively quiet China, and let it build strength constantly it will be tough, very tough. You can trash a lot of industry pretty quickly and that should slow the buildup.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

DEI Part 2

The object here is to hit the DEI from two opposite sides and then squeeze like a grape :-)
In previous games the campaign is largely over just before new year's eve. I am using paratroopers to seize undefended airfields which quickens the advance.
So far I haven't sighted any of his SAGs but before the amphib taskforces enter the immediate AO they have already ben swept by air and my owns SAGs.

I sense the ships to the left of the map are potentially some half decent high value targets that are worth targeting by naval and air assets. This turn we caught an AS and Langley and I believe sunk both :-)

Attachments
DEIPart2.gif
DEIPart2.gif (273.82 KiB) Viewed 786 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

DEI Part 3

The third part of squeezing and placing additional pressure on the DEI.

Resistance has been very light thus far (non existent) which does me make me tempted to move straight down and seize Darwin.

To be safe I will set up a decent navy search capability (likely Ambon) to confirm there is no likely navy ambushes about to be sprung.

The taskforces have enough firepower to see off all threats barring a surprise appearance of PoW or Repulse.

Attachments
DEI3.gif
DEI3.gif (261.79 KiB) Viewed 786 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Since you have all of KB in the DEI/SRA, the capture of Horn Island will seal off the east. Then, capture both Koepang and Denpasar with the landing of Air HQs will seal off the southern part of the area. You can backfill after these outpost are yours, IMO.
[center]Image[/center]
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I agree with your overall strategy. Go big in 1st year or go home. Don't get sucked into tying to keep the far flung pieces too long. As far as I could see the only error, or maybe bad luck, you had in Round 1 was letting your carriers get ambushed off Aust so far from home. I never would have thought that there was anything in Aust worth having the carriers down that far south! That changed the entire tone and direction of that game.

Return to “After Action Reports”