Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Naval and Defense News

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: wild_Willie2, Broncepulido, Anathema, Scorpion86
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> RE: Naval and Defense News Page: <<   < prev  74 75 76 77 [78]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/24/2017 7:40:54 PM   
OldSarge

A U.S. Space Corps? It could happen if the House and Senate approve the NDAA bill this year.
quote:

Lawmakers within the House Armed Services Committee have introduced legislation that would require the U.S. Air Force to establish a "Space Corps" as a distinct branch of the military by January 1, 2019, according to Space News. The proposed legislation would create a Space Corps to serve "as a separate military service within the Department of the Air Force and under the civilian leadership of the Secretary of the Air Force."

U.S Space Corps
Lawmakers lay groundwork for new military branch

(in reply to Tailhook)
Post #: 2311
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/24/2017 10:31:56 PM   
mikeCK

So structurally it's like the relationship of the US Marine Corp and the Dept of the Navy. Planning for the future

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 2312
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/25/2017 4:49:53 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

If this new "Space Corps" were to be created and a subsidiary of the Air Force, wouldn't it make sense to just rename the whole branch "United States Aerospace Force".

And what would be the initial operations, units and responsibilities of this "Space Corps"?

off the top of my head:

-Taking over all US military satellite operations

-Operations of any ASAT weapons except those that might be on US Navy ships, so if something like the ASM-135 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT ) were to be put into active service, the Space Corps would have it's own squadrons of launch aircraft.

-Possible responsibility for Ballistic Missile Defense? (like ASAT, except the defense systems on USN ships)

-Operations of whatever the hell the X-37 is, and any successor craft.

-Eventual Space Combat Units, when warfare is brought beyond Earth's atmosphere at some point in the future.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 6/25/2017 4:52:42 AM >

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 2313
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/25/2017 8:23:45 AM   
gosnold

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

If this new "Space Corps" were to be created and a subsidiary of the Air Force, wouldn't it make sense to just rename the whole branch "United States Aerospace Force".

And what would be the initial operations, units and responsibilities of this "Space Corps"?

off the top of my head:

-Taking over all US military satellite operations

-Operations of any ASAT weapons except those that might be on US Navy ships, so if something like the ASM-135 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT ) were to be put into active service, the Space Corps would have it's own squadrons of launch aircraft.

-Possible responsibility for Ballistic Missile Defense? (like ASAT, except the defense systems on USN ships)

-Operations of whatever the hell the X-37 is, and any successor craft.

-Eventual Space Combat Units, when warfare is brought beyond Earth's atmosphere at some point in the future.

It would take over all of USAF's operational space functions:
- Space Situational Awareness: surveillance of the low orbit with the network of ground station, surveillance of high orbits including the GEO belt through ground stations and satellites (for instance GSSAP)
- Space Weather
- CounterSpace capabilities. The only public one is the Counter Space Communication jammers
- Launch
- Orbital control of USAF satellites, and maybe all US satellites in case of emergency
- Maybe control of space communications. Reconnaissance would still be handled by the NRO I think
- Maybe control of SBIRS for missile launch detection
- Probably the ASAT program (at least the SM-3 mod that can shoot low orbit satellites)

And then it would probably be an organic command for everything space-related, except reconnaissance satellites.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2314
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/25/2017 8:49:14 AM   
gosnold

Air Fan magazine has published a special issue on the Paris Airshow, with lots of stuff on the Rafale. There is a description of the development for Rafale F4, IOC 2025 for France:

* Electronics
- New Low Probability of Intercept intra-patrol datalink (in addition to the standard L16)
- New LPI satcom datalink
- Use of GaN modules in radar and Spectra jammers: 2x more power compared to current
- Radar will be able to do jamming and electronic attack
- New ultra-high resolution ground imaging mode on the radar
- Potentially multifunction jammer/radar panels to extend radar coverage
- New GMTI mode on the radar
- Spectra will be able to jam lower and higher bands
- Improved emitter localization capabilities, with localization of moving emitters in 3D, quickly and from a single plane.
- New IRST

* Weapons
- Mid-life update for Scalp cruise missile
- New MICA NG air to air missiles, with new seekers
- New version of the AASM air to ground missile, without rocket booster
- Potentially a new AASL light air to ground weapon with more range than AASM (from other sources)

* Other
- Helmet sights

For a future Rafale F5, DIRCM and RCS reduction kits are envisionned

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 2315
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/25/2017 3:20:02 PM   
kevinkin

DoD constantly reorganizes as people in management move up and around. My wife worked for the Army's "Space and Terrestrial Communication Directorate" at Fort Monmouth in the 90's. There is a lot of duplication (some say useful redundancy) in the DoD. It's odd that Congress has to legislate this and it can't be done within the existing structure. Elevating Space to a branch is sort of a public relations thing. I think is means they want more tax dollars. The most impotent thing is that all branches cooperated related to how they utilize earth orbit.

Kevin

(in reply to gosnold)
Post #: 2316
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/25/2017 4:14:03 PM   
OldSarge

If a Space Corps were to be authorized, it is opposed by senior USAF leadership, it would receive its own budget and have a Chief of Staff position that could appeal directly to Congress for project funding.

In a related move, probably to respond to Congressional pressure to raise space operation priorities
SecAF Wilson creates a DCS for Space Operations position

(in reply to kevinkin)
Post #: 2317
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 76 77 [78]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> RE: Naval and Defense News Page: <<   < prev  74 75 76 77 [78]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI