Command capacity

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Numdydar

Command capacity

Post by Numdydar »

So in '41 German HQ's have a command capacity of 8. As each division counts as 2 capacity, the most any corp HQ can have is 8 without being considered overburdened. Support units do not count against this total capacity.

When you click on a HQ unit on the map, is this capacity shown on the graphic detail on the right? When you right click to get all the details I still do not see it anywhere. So what I have been doing is look at the subordinate list and seeing how many divisions are in the HQ. If more than 4, then I move the excess. But this gets pretty old pretty fast [:@]

The only other way is to click on a unit, go into the detail screen, and click on the HQ to reassign the unit to a different HQ. This works better but I cannot see the HQ that the unit already belongs to so here I have no idea if the units needs reassigning or not [:@]

I know I must be missing something obvious, so if anyone can point out what it is, I would be very happy [:)]
Huw Jones

RE: Command capacity

Post by Huw Jones »

Don't click on any units.

Run your cursor over the HQ it shows how many units are attached.

Just make sure you have switched things off like factory locations etc.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

No wonder I could not find it anywhere [:D]. I would have thought something as important as this would actually be on a detail screen somewhere. It is not like there is not room on the detailed unit screen when you right click.

Thanks for the assist.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Also the unit box (on the right) for given HQ shows max and used capacity
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

No wonder I could not find it anywhere [:D]. I would have thought something as important as this would actually be on a detail screen somewhere. It is not like there is not room on the detailed unit screen when you right click.

Thanks for the assist.

Agreed, that important information should show on the HQ details screen. Like command capacity, command points available, etc.

What i do now is when i choose a division to assign it to a HQ, at least it shows me the HQs in range and the number of units attached.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

It should be noted running over the HQ to look how many units are attached, is just a hint at what is going on especially with the Soviets.

As it doesn't differentiate regiments from brigades or Divisions.
morvael

Post by morvael »

But the number in the unit box does show it.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Ok, ok, when i move the cursor on a HQ, I see CU3, SU0, MP25, SP0.

The numbers beside the armor icon, on the HQ, example 6:8, is it the attached units/command capacity?
Michel Desjardins,
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
morvael

Post by morvael »

Look at these numbers in the unit box, you don't have to look at the tooltip, which indeed shows the number of attached combat (CU) and support units (SU):

Attachments
hq.jpg
hq.jpg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

Thanks Morvael.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Thank you for your patience Morvael.
Michel Desjardins,
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

It would have been really nice to have this diagramed in the manual. Maybe something like this that graphically shows exactly what everything on the display means for each unit type. This is from WiF manual for those that are wondering [:)]

Attachments
Unitdescription.jpg
Unitdescription.jpg (53.14 KiB) Viewed 83 times
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Oh i recognize WiF, i am an old timer.
Michel Desjardins,

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”