Need help tracing a resource

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

vollman

Need help tracing a resource

Post by vollman »

It's March/April 1940 and, for whatever reason, the resource in hex 62, 33 (the hex SW of Turin) is idle.

I've tried override, and sending it to every factory in the country, but nothing I do can get that sucker to a factory. It always remains "idle."

I had no trouble tracing it to a factory in previous turns. Only two things have changed: Italy received six resources from Germany in a trade agreement, and the last impulse was miserable weather. Other than that, nothing has changed on this border.

I've attached an image. It's the hex under the Italian mountain unit. Does anyone have any idea why I can't trace it to a factory? Is there a way to get more information about why a resource is marked idle?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments
Italy.jpg
Italy.jpg (469.55 KiB) Viewed 185 times
joshuamnave

RE: Need help tracing a resource

Post by joshuamnave »

I'm assuming Italy and France are at war? If so, the only factory that can use that resource is the factory in Turin. Resources can't move through enemy zoc's along rail lines. It can start in a zoc, it can end in a zoc, it can not pass through a zoc. So that resource can't go further than Turin. Problem is, Turin is already at capacity using other resources. The production planning form is not as perfect as certain people seem to think it is and will not optimize production in situations like this one. You need to reroute the resources currently flowing to Turin so that the Turin factory can use the resource that's currently idle.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
vollman

Post by vollman »

Success, thanks!

Earlier, I had tried to re-route the resource to the Turin factory, but it wouldn't let me.

I tried re-routing the resource that was going to Turin somewhere else, but it simply re-routed another resource there, instead of the one I wanted.

Only after re-routing every single resource to another factory did it finally allow that resource to get to Turin.

Centuur

Post by Centuur »

If you have a saved game for this from before the changes you made, I would like to investigate. The program should allow you to change the resource under the MTN unit to production in Turin. If it doesn't allow this, that we've got a bug here. Sure, you could change it using a work around, but still...
Peter
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

It's not a bug, it's a "design feature". He can't change the resource to produce in Turin because Turin has no free production capacity.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

It's not a bug, it's a "design feature". He can't change the resource to produce in Turin because Turin has no free production capacity.

You should be able to do so by clicking on the resource line in "compute" mode and than allocate it using "produce" under the ship/where to direct into the factory at Turin. That should become a "default" (green line), which should, after you press the compute button force the resource received out of Germany to look for a different factory. If that isn't available, that resource should chance into "Idle"... Now, if the resource coming out of Germany into Turin would be a green line, you would be right.

Now, if that isn't working, we've got a new bug.
Peter
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Ok then it's a bug... but I assure you, it's hardly new.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I have a dumb question about this: if the resource in Turin can't leave Turin because of enemy ZoC, why can other resources enter Turin (as I understand was causing the problem)?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

My understanding of the rules (which is limited I assure you [:)]) means Resources can leave a ZoC but not enter one.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Resources that start in a zoc can leave that zoc. Resources can move into a zoc. What they can't do is move through a zoc. So a resource that enters a zoc must stop there, although a resource that starts in a zoc isn't pinned to the spot.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

And there is no resource in Turin, it is under the 5-4 MTN. The rail lines going both NE and SE from that hex are ZoC'd and there isn't one going due east, so the resource must go to Turin or not be produced.
Paul
vollman

Post by vollman »

I've played on since then, but haven't completed an entire turn.

Here's my Prod Plan Prelim autosave file for Italy. Will this do the trick?
Attachments
ProdPlan..Italy.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

There is a bug here. You can work around it to put all resources which you receive from Germany to other factories than Turin. Eventually, the game will route the resource under the MTN to Turin.

Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I have had success doing the following to get production for countries like the CW and JP (and could work here too) to be just the way I want it and to stay that way. If something changes I can repeat it for just what changed, or just do a one turn override if I think it is a temporary problem. It's a lot of work the first time, but after that puts the player (not the program) in full control.

Override absolutely everything (including things that look "right") to make it what you want but without recomputing (you won't see the changes in the summary until the end, but you need to do it this way to spare yourself angst) - do the recompute once, at the end. Since Override is a one turn thing, you'll then want to - one-by-one, change any of these that are likely to be long term assignments - from override to default and recompute after each. The process is one-by-one, clear the override, then do a default of the exact same thing, then recompute, then go on to the next.

Paul
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Production routing and planning is no longer an issue for me but it took many hours of learning and playing to finally "get it". It's a beautiful game in solitaire.

Return to “World in Flames”