Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disengagement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Disengagement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disengagement - 1/12/2015 1:13:47 AM   
Edwire

Hi guys,

In big scenario, occasionally we have to retreat from front lines to a better defensible position, several hex away. I was wondering if there are any tips when doing such operation. Get everybody to run and hope for the best doesn't sound like a good strategy, yet we want to minimize the sacrifice. I feel sorry for the Romanians i've send to Gulag during my last retreat playing as Axis

I know several things to note :
- HQ give disengagement bonus (by how much? Does HQ never suffer disengagement attack?)
- High unit recon capability gives higher chance for successful disengagement (Again by how much? Does the recon capability = the chance ?)

Did I miss anything else?

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Disengagement - 1/12/2015 1:41:10 AM   
SMK-at-work

Not sure about the exact size of the bonuses, but yes those 2 unit types help, and yes they both CAN suffer from attrition during disengagement and/or fail to do so.

Generally I think the idea is to leave something small and less-valuable behind. sometimes it will get away too - but you have to be prepared to lose whatever it is. If all else fails split a unit and get 2/3rds of it away!

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 2
RE: Disengagement - 1/12/2015 1:42:21 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edwire

Hi guys,

In big scenario, occasionally we have to retreat from front lines to a better defensible position, several hex away. I was wondering if there are any tips when doing such operation. Get everybody to run and hope for the best doesn't sound like a good strategy, yet we want to minimize the sacrifice. I feel sorry for the Romanians i've send to Gulag during my last retreat playing as Axis

I know several things to note :
- HQ give disengagement bonus (by how much? Does HQ never suffer disengagement attack?)
- High unit recon capability gives higher chance for successful disengagement (Again by how much? Does the recon capability = the chance ?)

Did I miss anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Did you read section 10.4.10 in the manual?

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 3
RE: Disengagement - 1/12/2015 6:37:15 AM   
Edwire

quote:

Not sure about the exact size of the bonuses, but yes those 2 unit types help, and yes they both CAN suffer from attrition during disengagement and/or fail to do so.

Generally I think the idea is to leave something small and less-valuable behind. sometimes it will get away too - but you have to be prepared to lose whatever it is. If all else fails split a unit and get 2/3rds of it away!

That's what I did before. Just wondering if there are other ideas. As the Axis are woefully short of everything, need to make sure every last man counts.

Or fortify them to the death. heh.

quote:

Did you read section 10.4.10 in the manual?

I haven't. Thanks for pointing that out, exactly what i'm looking for!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: Disengagement - 1/12/2015 2:09:52 PM   
Curtis Lemay

So, there are a number of "automatic" disengagement paths, via those rules. Players should know them by heart.

If none of those are available, then units with a lot of relative armor, recon, speed, or strength have the best chances of disengagement.

If none of that is available, leave a low-value covering unit behind - usually subdivided - as a sacrificial price to pay.

One final option, if you are strong enough, is to fight your way out. Use limited attacks to force the defenders to retreat - without the risk of your forces advancing after them. (This can also be valuable when advancing if you run into small delaying units along your path of advance).

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/12/2015 3:11:26 PM >

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Disengagement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI