The letality of first turn bombimgs has chnaged a lot with patches. Nowadays (WITH 1.11) is far lower than one or two patches ago, but several tips will increase the performance of your units:
1. For the first turn only, set the minimum % of aircraft to fly at 5%. Then change the escorts to be at 100%.
2. Your best units for bombimg are the Stuka ones, altough I am not sure if in the RtL scenario you get any. If you do, move them to the border. That way they will be able to bomb much farther. Do the same for all your airbase units. Use your Stuka to bomb all airbases in range of them. Use Junkers and Heinkels to bomb airbases where Stukas cant go due to range.
3. First of all Recon all the airports unitl you get to see what it is in them. Some have just a handful of planes or none at all. Dont bother to bomb those.
4. For best results you need to carefully micro the bombing units. Click an airport while holding the Shift key (or it was Ctrl?) to get a window where you can choose which air groups will take part in the bombing. In my experience, it is better to bomb with fewer units thaln with lots of them, but others might say different.
5. Start bombing the more populous airbases. Once they are down to a few dozens aircrafts, change to a different, more numerous airbase.
6. Have in mind that destroying soviet recon airplanes is the best you can do, as soviets have very few recon airplanes and their production is very low (except for the crappy U2s).
< Message edited by No idea -- 1/7/2018 8:24:15 AM >