Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Bif1961
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo Page: <<   < prev  152 153 154 155 [156]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 1:11:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disco Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Why did God make the potato if not to cut into thin shapes and deep fry it in oil? Then...after allowing man to view the secret world...then, He takes it away? Surely, this is some kind of test. Most animals will not eat the stupid things...but man was shown by the French, acting as the hand of God, no doubt, to fry it in oil and then drench with salt that magically clings to the hot oil.

Surely that was not random. In the same way that you stick old barely or grapes in a clay pot and magic happens. You can't tell me that is all about the valence electrons in the Carbon atom.

It used to be restaurant french fries were packed in sugar to give them a better flavor. If that is still true eating fries will get your weight back up in a hurry.

Best fries I ever had were a restaurant specialty at a hotel in Seattle.
Duck fat fries. They bring them out in a large cone with the steaming hot
duck fat saturating the paper in the cone. Uhhhhhh...makes me weak just thinking about it.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/19/2017 1:12:52 PM >

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 4651
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 3:44:33 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disco Duck

quote:

Why did God make the potato if not to cut into thin shapes and deep fry it in oil? Then...after allowing man to view the secret world...then, He takes it away? Surely, this is some kind of test. Most animals will not eat the stupid things...but man was shown by the French, acting as the hand of God, no doubt, to fry it in oil and then drench with salt that magically clings to the hot oil.

Surely that was not random. In the same way that you stick old barely or grapes in a clay pot and magic happens. You can't tell me that is all about the valence electrons in the Carbon atom.

It used to be restaurant french fries were packed in sugar to give them a better flavor. If that is still true eating fries will get your weight back up in a hurry.

Best fries I ever had were a restaurant specialty at a hotel in Seattle.
Duck fat fries. They bring them out in a large cone with the steaming hot
duck fat saturating the paper in the cone. Uhhhhhh...makes me weak just thinking about it.

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 4652
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 4:29:41 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Not unless you're about 7 feet tall.

Well, camp guard then.

My Great Great Uncle on my mom's side actually was killed at Auschwitz. Bastard got drunk and fell off the guard tower. Heinkel side of the family. Nobody talks much about it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4653
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 7:47:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**************June 30 1942(e)**************

Solomons: The CO of the USN CA/DD apparently decided to wait another night...bah. He was set on "retire" in order to clear the area by daytime. Bah.

We send in the deadly mail planes. Somehow there are Zeroes over Lunga.

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 114,138

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12

Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 7
Hudson III (LR) x 14

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson III (LR): 3 damaged
Hudson III (LR): 3 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Uranami
AK Sakito Maru
DD Amagiri
DD Hayashio

Post #: 4654
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 7:48:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

That's like 1/3rd of the New Zealand annual defense budget there.

Post #: 4655
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 7:50:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Then the B-17's

quote:

Morning Air attack on 43rd Naval Guard Unit, at 114,138 (Lunga)

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

The B-18's even have some success. No attack by the Naval Guard units ashore.

Post #: 4656
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 7:52:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Oz: B-17's attack the troop concentrations at Katoomba...this is just an example. Pretty effective.

quote:

Morning Air attack on 144th Infantry Regiment, at 88,166 (Katoomba)

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 21
P-40E Warhawk x 5

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
135 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Post #: 4657
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/19/2017 7:54:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

754th Tank Bn gets crushed again. Nobody is going to believe the requisition order for new tanks.

quote:

Ground combat at 88,164 (near Bathurst)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4815 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 161

Defending force 420 troops, 6 guns, 86 vehicles, Assault Value = 45

Japanese adjusted assault: 112

Allied adjusted defense: 23

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
264 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 32 (15 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
11th Garrison Unit

Defending units:
754th Tank Battalion

Post #: 4658
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 9:43:17 AM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

Wow - any of those convoys spotted?

Well, they are only really a "convoy" in the collective sense. They are 1-2 pt AKL in "1942(e)SINGLET CONVOY SYSTEM (PACIFIC)"

Blockade runners is probably easier to remember and spell.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 4659
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 1:14:42 PM   
Chickenboy

"Sortie soakers" is more alliterative though.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4660
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 1:25:17 PM   
ny59giants

Potatoes - I was expecting Mandrake to break into his best Forrest Gump impersonation and list all the ways potatoes are cooked.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4661
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 2:24:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Yes...there are twice baked...and scalloped ...and fried with peppers and onions...and baked after brining...baked without brining...boiled with cabbage..potato soup...potato leak soup...potato and corn chowder..clam chowder...salmon chowder....

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4662
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 2:25:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

JJ are taking waaaay longer to get turns back. I think they are demoralized.

Post #: 4663
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 3:56:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Just filled out my first disability claim in 1.2 centuries of working. Lying about for 2 weeks eating tomato soup, dreaming about cheeseburgers and watching Netflix. This is a good gig. Another 42 years of disability and I will get back 25% of what I paid in.

Post #: 4664
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 3:59:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Another 42 years of disability and I will get back 25% of what I paid in.

Aye. Hopefully your pensions/401(k)/403(b) accounts are up to snuff and you don't have to rely on 'disability' to be an ersatz 'retirement' program in your 50s.

Post #: 4665
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 4:00:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The first day I go back the crazy Brazilians come in and want to talk about magnesium deficiency <face palm>. That's about as likely as a Rufe shooting down a B-29.

Post #: 4666
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 4:06:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Another 42 years of disability and I will get back 25% of what I paid in.

Aye. Hopefully your pensions/401(k)/403(b) accounts are up to snuff and you don't have to rely on 'disability' to be an ersatz 'retirement' program in your 50s.

Yes..just stuck it in a low fee S&P 500 index fund and forgot about it...outperformed all the "managed" funds. Freaking chimp could do it.

This was state of California disability. I have a kick ass private disability policy but it doesn't kick in for 3 months....I'm angling for the cognitive decline angle. That's why I keep reposting the same jokes.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4667
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 5:00:45 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

This was state of California disability.

Good thing you're not living in Illinois....

Post #: 4668
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 5:04:36 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I'm angling for the cognitive decline angle. That's why I keep reposting the same jokes.

On purpose. Yeah, that's it!

Post #: 4669
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 5:59:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

I'm angling for the cognitive decline angle. That's why I keep reposting the same jokes.

On purpose. Yeah, that's it!

Well, one has to create uncertainty in case an insurance investigator gets involved.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4670
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/20/2017 6:05:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Admiral Sir Lord SPrior goes swimming so I ordered a Hurricane sweep over Kweiyang...31K feet...we shot down 6 Oscars.

The Shinto-boys call us out for a "Rules Violation" (10K feet under ceiling)...so we chop them down to 21,100 and two days later the exact same result...6 Oscars shot down.

That is pretty funny after I gifted them 2 USN carriers and 3 or 4 CA's in January 42

Post #: 4671
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/21/2017 5:25:12 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

Just filled out my first disability claim in 1.2 centuries of working. Lying about for 2 weeks eating tomato soup, dreaming about cheeseburgers and watching Netflix. This is a good gig. Another 42 years of disability and I will get back 25% of what I paid in.

My sister's main occupation is attempting to obtain disabled status. Unfortunately for her, laying on the couch and occasionally saying, "Oof! My back hurts" hasn't worked.

Post #: 4672
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/21/2017 7:31:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

My sister's main occupation is attempting to obtain disabled status. Unfortunately for her, laying on the couch and occasionally saying, "Oof! My back hurts" hasn't worked.

I gave up and went back to work.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 4673
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/21/2017 7:55:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Lying about for 2 weeks eating tomato soup, dreaming about cheeseburgers and watching Netflix.

Why are you lying about this? Are you lying to us? Are you lying 'for' us? It's all so confusing.

Post #: 4674
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/21/2017 11:35:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Lying about for 2 weeks eating tomato soup, dreaming about cheeseburgers and watching Netflix.

Why are you lying about this? Are you lying to us? Are you lying 'for' us? It's all so confusing.

Everything in this AAR is true.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4675
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/21/2017 11:38:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Editrix Note: The Editorial Review Board is unable to sustain the accuracy of several items in this account. In fact, the Board is considering recategorizing this as fiction.

Post #: 4676
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/22/2017 12:02:57 AM   
Cap Mandrake

The part about PG asking for a doctor's note because her breast implants were interfering with the seatbelts is 100% true. Don't listen to that Editirx chick. Bad case of Nonooki Disease.

Post #: 4677
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/22/2017 1:42:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Editrix Note: The Editorial Review Board is unable to sustain the accuracy of several items in this account. In fact, the Board is considering recategorizing this as fiction.

Dear Editrix:
Fiction is too harsh a categorization. Perhaps another category could be used. May I suggest Alternative Facts or True Lies?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 4678
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/22/2017 2:28:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Send....turn.......please....

Interesting Biology Questions:

1) Do sharks make a "yummi" sound when they catch a Mahi Mahi?

2) Do pool guys start out with no temperature sensors in their bodies or does that
evolve over time. If it's 40F out they still wear shorts and a tank top. Also, how come there aren't any pool guys from Jalisco?Is there like some secret racist organization in charge? International Brotherhood of Pool Purity.*

*If you don't have pool guys where you live you will just have to take my word for it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4679
RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back fro... - 6/22/2017 4:12:49 PM   
Bif1961

My wife filed for SSDI in September of 2013, and has been an adventure to say the least. Her initial claim was rejected which happens about 95% of the time and then she appealed to have a judge hear her case, that took a total of 15 months. The judge made a ruling against her claim so we appealed to the SSDI appeals panel. A year later the appeals panel sided with us and revoked the judges finding, which only happens about 10-15% of the time, and sent back to the same judge for a new hearing. that was 4 months ago and we are waiting for a new hearing date with the same judge that initially ruled against her claim. So we wait for the new hearing, when that happens the judge has another 3 months to make a finding. My wife's ability to apply for SSDI runs out 31 December, 2017, based on her 35 years of employment, though this case must run it's course first. So if the judge again rules against my wife's claim after 31 December, 2017 then we have no other recourse my wife will be unable to apply for SSDI again, she is 56 and will only be 57 by that date.

Post #: 4680
Page:   <<   < prev  152 153 154 155 [156]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo Page: <<   < prev  152 153 154 155 [156]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI