Seaborne landings out of supply

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Kaldadarnes

Seaborne landings out of supply

Post by Kaldadarnes »

Hi all,

Whilst I generally don't go in for all this "messing about in boats" business, in he scenario I am currently playing a lovely opportunity to cut supply lines with a seaborne landing has arisen.

However, when i put my troops ashore they are immediately out of supply (I.e. The next turn). Their HQ is both in supply and has merchant vessels assigned...what am I missing?

Sorry - I'm certain this is a dumbass question.

Cheers

K
Omnia Videmus
ernieschwitz

RE: Seaborne landings out of supply

Post by ernieschwitz »

Unless you loaded that HQ with alot of suppplies and brought it along (I don´t know if you did), or you took a port, of some kind, supply has no way of flowing to your troops....
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

One of your first priorities in an invasion is capture a port or build a port, usually the later. To build that port your first wave should include an engineer unit and probably and HQ unit as well.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

What they said..... if you have air superiority over the invasion area and an air transport plane(s) in range, you may be able to provide the invasion forces with supply via air for a few turns until you can establish a proper port for supply to flow. Air supply can work for a few turns in a pinch as long as you can keep air superiority and you aren't dealing with too huge a number of forces on the beachead needing support.
Veni

Post by Veni »

"what they said" +
SOP for me is to include an engineer unit (size 40+) with the unloaded forces: DDay unload, DDay+1 build port. Just make sure you have the build requirements for a port, which are:
- 80 EP (hence the size 40 engineer unit: it has 80EP avail DDay+1 if it hasn't taken losses/org hits)
- 10 PP
- 60 Raw

This engineer unit is then available to build roads inland to keep supply at the front lines. Checking the supply layer (F5) is always helpful, too.
Veni

Post by Veni »

OK for gits'n'shiggles, an example of an (unopposed) landing! Here the invasion fleet approaches on DDay...

Attachments
DDay0.jpg
DDay0.jpg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Veni

Post by Veni »

Disembark on DDay!

Attachments
DDay1.jpg
DDay1.jpg (172.41 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Veni

Post by Veni »

DDay+1: Engineer unit builds port ... supply layer turned on, and supply is green :)
Units move inland ...

Attachments
DDay2.jpg
DDay2.jpg (173.26 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Veni

Post by Veni »

And .... DDay+2: units continue to move inland; engineer builds road behind, allowing armoured unit to move to contact and secure objective. Woo-hoo!

Attachments
DDay3.jpg
DDay3.jpg (230.65 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

Thanks all, that makes sense now, especially Veni - very clear!

One last question, the parent HQ (I.e. The HQ above that which went ashore on DDay) will need cargo ships assigned to it to move supplies to the beachhead?

Thanks

K
Omnia Videmus
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

Speaking of units stuck behind enemy lines, any suggestions on how to make air supply work?

Is it automatic, like land supply? I've got 12 air transports attached to my main HQ, and keep looking to see if they are supplying my subbordinate HQ's stuck behind enemy lines. So far, it doesn't seem to be working...

Is there some sort of action I need to do with the planes?
Mike
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

You have to click on the air transport and then click on the button for air supply then the location you are supplying
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Veni

Post by Veni »

Kaldadarnes: Supply will happen automatically, provided there is a clear path from source HQ; BUT this is subject to Anti-Supply. That said, if you have a parent HQ in a port, you can load it with cargoships to manually ship supplies and troops (also subject to anti-supply); this is good if you want to stock up the child-HQ (also in port) with goodies. Although production can be set directly to any HQ (incl the just-landed one), I like to keep a HQ in a port (not necessarily a parent HQ) with a reserve ready for this purpose.

I drew a pretty picture! Blue circles = HQs, yellow lines = chain of command/(automatic) supply, orange arrows are supplies, etc. manually shipped out to other mid-level HQs (which can then ship forward if they have transport)

mgaffn1: Twotribes is correct. Air supply doesn't happen automatically; with the unit/HQ selected, click on the air supply button (6th from left) which prompts you for the location drop hex ...

Attachments
Draw.jpg
Draw.jpg (42.6 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

I get it. Thanks Veni - much appreciated. First class explanation.
Omnia Videmus
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

Thanks for responses Veni & TwoTribes. I'll detach air transports from HQ & give it a shot.

Problem is, I'm playing an ATG random game, HOI2, and a Panzer Corps game at the same time - sometimes getting game mechanics confused.
Mike
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

You never need a huge force of transports to resupply to at least yellow level. So I usually use 2 or 4 transports for resupply but then I only resupply one or 2 divisions.
Favoritism is alive and well here.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”