Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> 1914 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1914 - 12/12/2014 8:13:44 PM   
HPT KUNZ

Greetings
Here is 1914- Guns of August. It is a short; thirteen one-week turns on a 10 km/hex map with division-size units. I had hoped to have it out by, well, August, but here it is, and the leaves have already fallen.

It was actually a bit of a challenge to design- namely the sweep of the German right wing. Historically the German First Army progressed an incredible 20 km a day- in one week it went from the French-Belgian border to nearly 140 km into France. In TOAW terms, assuming 2 hexes a turn moving into enemy-controlled territory, that is a movement allowance of 28. But the TOAW German divisions have only a movement of 18! To give them an edge, I gave them a Movement Bias, increased rail repair to facilitate supply, and a Shock benefit. The German right wing has a cavalry corps with three divisions that can clear a path ahead of the advancing infantry. Von Kluck needs all the help he can get.

I have indicated the dates of advance of the German right wing on the map. Historically the German right wing was aided by the retreat of the Entente left wing to guard Paris. In TOAW terms, it is difficult to model a withdrawal. The BEF is especially troublesome- they will move to the French-Belgian border near Mons as they did historically, but they tend to stay there and fight to the end. Thus they throw off the German advance, and are no longer available to man the Marne River defense.

Even though programmed for both sides, and theoretically for PBEM, I think for all practical purposes it is best played Human as Germany vs and Entente PO.

Lastly, this is a Beta version of what I hope is a playable scenario. I would look forward to any comments or suggestions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nyg1c5yxg85theb/AABc4kejNJNs8qVXWP_WnNUba?dl=0

In a few days I will post some Player notes not included in the Briefing.

signed
Kunz, HPTM

"Dedicated to the Allied and German soldiers who fought, bled, froze and died for their countries." by Trevor N.DuPuy, in Hitler's Last Gamble.
Post #: 1
RE: 1914 - 12/13/2014 12:00:08 AM   
Grognard

quote:

The BEF is especially troublesome- they will move to the French-Belgian border near Mons as they did historically, but they tend to stay there and fight to the end.

Change the BEF PO to run away. French drove them backwards harder than von Kluck was pushing forward (and then eastward) Yo - Taxi !

Just finished reading the book (again) a couple of days ago and was struck by the hubris, closed dogmatic thinking, and general intellectual frailty at the highest command levels.

Looking forward to playing this - Thanks

Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em

(in reply to HPT KUNZ)
Post #: 2
RE: 1914 - 12/13/2014 6:18:22 AM   
HPT KUNZ

Hey Grognard, (I like your "handle" Grognard!)
Where is your unit crest from? Would you believe I have a 4th Cav crest- from Madison? I was the troop commander of an E Troop, in Madison (part of the Minnesota Inf Bde (sep)USAR! Back in the day we spend a lot of time playing AH 1914 while I was in Grad School at UW (PhD Chem).

Anyhow, let me know how things go.

In the next day or so I will post a few Players Notes.

Cheers,
Rob

< Message edited by HPT KUNZ -- 12/13/2014 3:03:05 PM >

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 3
RE: 1914 - 12/13/2014 8:18:37 AM   
burroughs

Imperial German "Garde" divisions have lower proficiency than their regular "Infanterie" counterparts. What's the reason behind that? Otherwise, awesome scenario, I have just pulled a few turns against myself, there's a huge strategic abyss in the Belgian rear and the BEF is nowhere in sight. Aw, well, bad ol' Aug '14.

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to HPT KUNZ)
Post #: 4
RE: 1914 - 12/13/2014 2:00:00 PM   
HPT KUNZ

I could not find any good data on how the Garde divisions differed from regular division, but I will put that on my to do list.

Note that the Belgian divisions will disappear by Turn 4 and reappear in Antwerp.

Also, take a look at http://www.carto1418.fr/ for a detailed day-by-day movement of the belligerent divisions...

Rob

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 5
RE: 1914 - 12/13/2014 3:33:25 PM   
Grognard

quote:

(I like your "handle" Grognard!)

I couldn't believe it was still available - please forgive my temerity for choosing it, but I did start pushing around little cardboard pieces and rolling dice when Eisenhower was president.

quote:

Where is your unit crest from?

I Troop, 3rd Squadron, 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment - Bad Hersfeld, Federal Republic of Germany. On the border - when there was one.......

quote:

I was in Grad School at UW (PhD Chem).

Have you seen the campus lately ? Quite a few changes/new construction. I'm a tradesman and did some work in the new (4 years ago) microbiology building. I live on the Isthmus a couple of miles away. I'm a Chicago expat but this is a really wonderful town - 16 years here. Will comment on the scenario as RL permits...

Cheers and Prosit !

Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em

(in reply to HPT KUNZ)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> 1914 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI