What's New Compilation for 2.08

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

CapnDarwin

What's New Compilation for 2.08

Post by CapnDarwin »

We have combined all of the What's New documents from 2.04 (the first Major What's New for the game) into one document that will be included with the 2.08 update. This document can be read from the Launcher Screen and in game Help menu.
We strongly recommend reviewing this document to see all of the new Features, Tweaks and Bug fixes. A good number of new features and basic play changes occurred in 2.04 and again in 2.06.

Link: What's New Compilation - 2.08
Enjoy!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Plodder

RE: What's New Compilation for 2.08

Post by Plodder »

Couldn't see it in the doc but did you get the mini map bug fixed? That was where it wouldn't scale properly for non standard maps.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll have to check with Rob, we may missed reporting on it. I'm pretty sure Rob did that one, but I don't see it in the JIRA listing. I'll get back to you on that.

Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

Looks excellent. Thank you.
I didn't find anything on adding a "hold fire" order, as another player suggested. Perhaps I missed it?
Are you going to improve the downloading procedures?
When will 2.08 come out?
Gino
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Very nice document, thank you!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Gino, the hold fire type SOPs and a number of other features will be in the 2.1 release next year. We are laying out some of those ideas now in our Dev calls during the week. All of the updates at this point are crash bug fixes so we can move on to the 2.1 work.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

76mm, you are welcome. We should have been smart enough to compile it from the start. [8|]

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

2.3 Enhanced – Improved Infantry Cover in Cities - We made minor adjustments to improve the cover of infantry in cities.
2.4 Enhanced – Recon Unit Scooting Threshold Reduced - Recon units were sitting too long getting attacked and taking losses before scooting. The threshold value has been reduced some to improve their desire to scoot sooner.

Good, thank you. I had a couple of WTF? moments watching my recon under Screen orders in v1.07. I thought it would be better. Hopefully this fix will suffice while we wait for more features in the next game version.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sadly until we can get to 2.1 there will be issues with recon units with the wide range of units and capabilities. We try to make sure the AI is doing "smart" actions, but you can get some odd behaviors at times. Some are good and some are not. We will keep plugging away at it.

budd

Post by budd »

was that the only adjustment to screen orders done just for recon? any adjustment to other units using screen in good defensive terrain?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Budd, it was a change to the scooting logic for recon under fire.

Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Can buttons be added for the other functions next to the 'L', 'A', and 'D' buttons? CNTL-F, CNTL-O, etc at some point in the future? Not a big deal but would be nice.
No problem Chief!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Max 86,

We plan to have many more in 2.1 with a revamped UI. Right now there was only a limited amount of space to place them were we did based on support a 1024 x 768 display. I was aiming for more when we did the 3 but compatibility won out. [8D]

Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

Any ETA on 2.08? I'm itching for that low-end artillery change.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Hopefully early next week. We are reviewing the latest build today. If that is good then Matrix can work on getting them posted out next week before they break for the holidays. The low end change for arty fire is not earth shattering, but it should reduce losses to sub 100mm weapons. Can still have a bad day or eat a lucky shot. [;)]

Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Hopefully early next week. We are reviewing the latest build today. If that is good then Matrix can work on getting them posted out next week before they break for the holidays. The low end change for arty fire is not earth shattering, but it should reduce losses to sub 100mm weapons. Can still have a bad day or eat a lucky shot. [;)]

Oh I'm only expecting a minor tweak, but in lots of those NATO scenarios where your main punching strength is a single company of MBTs an extra kill here or there is the kind of thing that can have a serious knock-on effect. Thanks for the reply!
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Sadly until we can get to 2.1 there will be issues with recon units with the wide range of units and capabilities. We try to make sure the AI is doing "smart" actions, but you can get some odd behaviors at times. Some are good and some are not. We will keep plugging away at it.

I've started playing Time to Dance a few times under v2.08. Sadly, I'm still not impressed with the recon units screen execution. They should be harder to spot and hit in the first place, and second they should be withdrawing better to avoid taking casualties. If I want them to fight, I'll give them a hold order. As it is, they linger too long, let enemy units get too close and take too many hits; it's frustrating to watch. IF there is a v2.09, it would be nice to relook this one again. As it is, I'll keep poking at it until 2.1 when we can get some better control with SOPs.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

I've started playing Time to Dance a few times under v2.08. Sadly, I'm still not impressed with the recon units screen execution. They should be harder to spot and hit in the first place, and second they should be withdrawing better to avoid taking casualties. If I want them to fight, I'll give them a hold order. As it is, they linger too long, let enemy units get too close and take too many hits; it's frustrating to watch. IF there is a v2.09, it would be nice to relook this one again. As it is, I'll keep poking at it until 2.1 when we can get some better control with SOPs.
You are making my point that I have been arguing for some time. Sadly, there were many players who wanted units with screen to stand and fight a little longer. Accommodating them has hurt recon. I have a background with Cav and recon and if I have to choose, I choose letting them withdraw before the enemy is on them and they can't. SOPs will help, but it does not help the poor scoot in the current engine.
Charles Belva

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”