HQ Buildup in 1.08

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Oshawott

HQ Buildup in 1.08

Post by Oshawott »

It's a failure in my opinion. It looks more intelligent but it is even worse then the old system. It's the equivalent of muling HQs.

Following example from a game against experienced human player.

On T4 I cross the Dnepr. Always one HQ Buildup per turn. Sometimes two.

Attachments
T4.jpg
T4.jpg (569.34 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Oshawott

RE: HQ Buildup in 1.08

Post by Oshawott »

On T5 I enlarge the bridgehead

Attachments
T5South.jpg
T5South.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 411 times
Oshawott

HQ Buildup in 1.08

Post by Oshawott »

On T6 I break out

Attachments
T6.jpg
T6.jpg (597.85 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

On T7 all hell breaks loose. More encirclement and a giant Bryansk pocket.

Attachments
T7.jpg
T7.jpg (503.28 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Giant pocket

Attachments
T7Pocket.jpg
T7Pocket.jpg (854.14 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

The whole HQ buildup system has nothing to do with 2nd world war. It's pure fantasy. After T7 my opponent quit out of frustration. I understand I would probably quit myself. What's the point.

I think it's time to move to a different game. War in the West here I come!
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Oshawott

The whole HQ buildup system has nothing to do with 2nd world war. It's pure fantasy. After T7 my opponent quit out of frustration. I understand I would probably quit myself. What's the point.

I think it's time to move to a different game. War in the West here I come!

don't go (even to such a nearby place [:)]) ... I really like your AARs

but yes, that is pretty silly and implausible.

do you have any feel for what the best response would have been?
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

do you have any feel for what the best response would have been?

I think the only thing you can do is run away and set up a checkerboard. How far depends on the number of HQ buildups your opponent did. I can tell you more when I get T8 back from Pelton. [:D]

But it's just poor game design. You shouldn't be able to build up to 175% east of the Dnepr on T6. Those divisions at Bryansk pretty much all have 60% fuel left or are doing another HQ buildup. T8 would have been pure insanity.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Did you do anything "heroic" with the FBD's? ie, move them in a leapfrog manner? If I'm not clear enough, what did you do with FBD's 2 and 3?
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

I did nothing unusual. Yes they are teaming up in the south but that doesn't bring much. Just at the beginning when you go through rough terrain you gain a hex or two. The problem is the 25 hex limit for HQ buildups.

Just wait for those super accurate Axis players to come up with the perfect setup for HQ buildups. It will be Stalingrad in 41 again. Looks like Mike 29 has figured it out. Apparently, he made it to Lipetsk on T10. Would be cool to get an update from him where he is on T17.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

I've long thought that HQ buildup could be scraped altogether. Axis logistics are plenty generous enough without it.
Saper2229

Post by Saper2229 »

The Soviets player must have some expirience how to stop Germany panzers. Not line defence, only deep and strong fort hex. After 1:1=2:1 this is a hard game (1.08) for non expirience Soviets.
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Against you is completely useless... Against your wall of steel HQBU is not enough... It doesn't increase the CV. Maybe some napalm can be useful...
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Pelton, my friend, your comments are correct (IMO) but you're making things a little too personal (IMO). That's what's so fun about trash talking, you can throw out strong opinions as long as you trash/thrash yourself to boot.

Oshawott, Pelton is merely criticizing your impressive skill at WITE. The best players kick ass (so to speak) on the good. It's a harsh fact of life. Outstanding Soviet players constantly guard against massive isolations. Look how smokindave stopped Pelton's dangerous pincer on Moscow; in fact fairly easily. Your opponents don't.
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202

Pelton, my friend, your comments are correct (IMO) but you're making things a little too personal (IMO). That's what's so fun about trash talking, you can throw out strong opinions as long as you trash/thrash yourself to boot.

Oshawott, Pelton is merely criticizing your impressive skill at WITE. The best players kick ass (so to speak) on the good. It's a harsh fact of life. Outstanding Soviet players constantly guard against massive isolations. Look how smokindave stopped Pelton's dangerous pincer on Moscow; in fact fairly easily. Your opponents don't.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I know we are all meant to put up with Pelton's rudeness and over the top posts but that one is by far the worst I've seen. Its not trash talk - its insulting and bullying. He's driven other people off the WiTE forum as they are not prepared to put up with his insults.

If that post is allowed to stand then I'm probably off too. Lots of nice people around who its fun to interact with, learn from and disagree with. But if that sets a standard for what is deemed to be acceptable then I'm none too keen to maintain an association.
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

You misunderstood what I said. Trash talking should be humorous and expose the writer's frailties and balance the criticism(s). I agree, Pelton's blob is unwarranted and, to be frank, abusive.

I called him out and I'm sure he will apologize.

Don't stop posting. Your AAR's are awesome.
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Ah, are we seeing the free markets at work here? ie the "invisible hand".

ps. it pleases me to be a little obscure and I don't really like to type long explanations, sooo... pm me if you would like some more.
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

I am playing a Road to Leningrad pbem against the best Soviet player here in the forum: Saper.
I can say that so far HQBU is useless because he always has high cv stacks even without railing the hell out of the south like in a campaign 41.
About the offensive language of someone in the forum, no problem: there is always a little green button to press... I never used offensive language and I expect the same. Now I see no other solution than to press it.
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

You can also PM the board moderator, Joel Billings. He's been around a long time to be familiar with this sort of thing.

Return to “After Action Reports”