US Defense Department Documents

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

deadsunwheel

US Defense Department Documents

Post by deadsunwheel »

Hello everyone,

For the interested, and let's face it anyone on this forum is likely interested, here are links to the last Cold War era US Defense Department field manuals on the Soviet army. There is lots of interesting information in here that can certainly help both NATO and Warsaw Pact force players. I have also attached a link to the latest Lightning Press OPFOR document for the Red Team Army. It reiterates much of what was in the field manuals but has improved formatting, photos, illustrations, and updates for the modern era. In other words something nice to have on your shelf.

Enjoy!

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/docrepository/FM100_2_1.pdf
http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/ ... ll9/id/354
http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
https://www.thelightningpress.com/smart ... team-army/
CapnDarwin

RE: US Defense Department Documents

Post by CapnDarwin »

Nice to see you back. Thanks for the post. I think many people are looking for some information about this topic in here.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: deadsunwheel

Hello everyone,

For the interested, and let's face it anyone on this forum is likely interested, here are links to the last Cold War era US Defense Department field manuals on the Soviet army.
The FM100_2_# series should be required reading for anybody wargaming NATO vs the Soviets in the 80's.
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

Bravo and thank you for finding these. +1 to Double Deuce's comment. These must be read by all !!!
Cheers, Jim
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

I also recommend the digital libraries at Fort Benning, the Fires archives at Fort Sill, the AHEC library at Carlisle Barracks seems to move around alot, but for right now it is here.

DTIC.mil is also an interesting place to search in google. But I haven't navigated to a good link to their digital collection yet.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I used to have a copy of FM100-2. While I was just a E2 at Ft. Irwin in the late 80's, I miss those days.
deadsunwheel

Post by deadsunwheel »

Thanks Captain Darwin! The game never left my hard drive, but the new players edition has brought me right back into it. Now all I need to do is figure out how to juggle three multiplayer games without getting confused as to what I am doing. Thank goodness for the printer friendly maps to plot my, often half baked, plans out on.

With regards to the FMs I have found them very useful in the context of the game. I am currently working on a bit of a light new players guide to Warsaw Pact tactics that I hope to have posted sometime around Christmas. While the forum is full of extremely knowledgeable players and more than one or two Cold Warriors I do think it would be handy to have a little "Modern Warfare for Dummies". I am certain there are more than a few potential players on the fence for getting the game who did not spend their youth reading Janes or stationed in West Germany that would like a little bit of a helping hand as to what to do. ATGMs can be a bit of a surprise to wargamers who have only played WWII games. One of the thing I love about the game is just how accessible it is. Issuing commands to your forces is simple, figuring out how best to use them is another matter entirely.
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

Good manuals. Many of those tactics and doctrines that Soviet developed are based for WW2 experiences from eastern front. At least from my experience countries more or less derive doctrines and tactis from real life warfare experiences.

Countries also copy from others and try on imitate what others do but quite a lot use experiences from past wars.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”