Policy Menu questions Clear-up

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

twinkypillow

Policy Menu questions Clear-up

Post by twinkypillow »

Hi Guys,

One more thing, (there doesn't seem to be any posts about this!)

1. IN the Empire Policy Screen - I've searched and searched, what does Control Restricted Resources do??!!! High/low?normal??? please be specific if you know.

2. Same menu, Ship Battle Caution Factor ... what gives? there is not a real description of what i should set these on...

3. In Pirate Play style, When my constructors are automated, How can i prevent them from building more space ports!? (I dont want to make designs obsolete..)

thanks,,
Bingeling

RE: Policy Menu questions Clear-up

Post by Bingeling »

One can always guess:

1: How easily the AI should trade ultra rares. It could also include how hard to try to get them, but I doubt it. It could possibly also influence the required relationships for military refuel rights and mining rights.

2: This one is fuzzy. It could be about how strong opponents must be for them to be considered "stronger". It could be about what kind of encounters you send a single ship to fix. The AI has been known to try to bust large pirate spaceport with a strike fleet. That is not very cautious. It could possibly influence the "flee" stances in the ship designs (that is easy to check).

3: If you find nothing in the policy window, you probably can't. Without obsoleting or running manual, of course.
twinkypillow

RE: Policy Menu questions Clear-up

Post by twinkypillow »

Thanks Bingeling,

I appreciate your guesses..

but yeah that's what I mean.. Nobody and I mean Nobody can tell you what the hell some of the options actually do!??
I'm sure there are plenty of games out there that also have oddly named settings with no understanding but what gives? this is a pretty tight nit game with the game designer even writing to us at times..(erik or elliot?)

I'm also a little bit of a control freak so I need to know what these settings do..

I do appreciate you replying though..

twinkypillow

RE: Policy Menu questions CLEARED UP!!!!

Post by twinkypillow »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
1: How easily the AI should trade ultra rares. It could also include how hard to try to get them, but I doubt it. It could possibly also influence the required relationships for military refuel rights and mining rights.

Ok my findings..

In the Policy Menu

So Far I started games and:

Trade with empires- Stops/Starts ALL trade with everyone.. fairly obvious..

Restricted Resources Priority - **EDIT** ok upon further testing setting to very high or low appears to change nothing when it comes to trading regular resources.. so I think it is for Ultra RARe luxury resources...

I can't quite figure out a way to test the "ship battle caution factor" settings but if its anything like the control resources option it probable means High they fight and Low they retreat easily?? which still doesn't make sense cause what's the point of the flee when 50% shield etc.??

eeehhhh........annoying..

Oh my god and then there is the "First refuel when fleet is %.. oh my god..

Bingeling

RE: Policy Menu questions CLEARED UP!!!!

Post by Bingeling »

"First refuel when the fleet is %" is fairly obvious in a general sense. What is the fuel limit that makes you refuel before doing something. I am not sure if the AI queues orders, or just "refuel" and find a new one. And it is always possible that it does not work.

If "caution factor" influences the flee setting, it is very easy to test. Apart from that, observe the outcome of similar battles and how they play, which is potentially annoying... Pit "your ship" vs various opponents, set it to evade "stronger", and see if it makes a difference in what is evaded.

You can test the ultra rare trading by making sure that the diplomacy advisor will suggest trading restricted resources. You can see your (AI) relation to another empire by selecting it in the diplomacy panel, and looking at the numbers on the left. What is your relation to the empire when the AI suggests to trade restricted (you got to have a restricted), at various settings of the policy.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”