Automatic reinforcements

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

rudisa

Automatic reinforcements

Post by rudisa »

I remember reading somewhere that there was a patch in the works that would introduce automatic reinforcement of damaged units. Is this true? Is this actually in the works or did I dream about it?
Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 975
GTX 680
12 GB ram
ironduke1955

RE: Automatic reinforcements

Post by ironduke1955 »

I am sure no such patch or MOD exists. Its all currently manual if you have a template for units armored/mechanized/motorized infantry or artillery, then it is a matter of adding the force type manually.
The old argument is if you add green troops the experience level drops, if you combine remnants then you retain the combat experience.
appropriate reinforcements would have to be available to have a one click option available.

Something to look forward to, though not on my must have list (no such list exists by the way, a GD1938 with x4 map size and a reasonable AI would be high on the list if I had one[:)])
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: rudisa

I remember reading somewhere that there was a patch in the works that would introduce automatic reinforcement of damaged units. Is this true? Is this actually in the works or did I dream about it?

No dream. I said I would do it. It is planned for the next update. Hope to have something to show in a few months.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
rudisa

Post by rudisa »

Wow, thanks Vic! That's going to be a game-changer!
Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 975
GTX 680
12 GB ram
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

You understand that adding green just recruited troops to an experienced unit LOWERS experience on that unit, right?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ru_disa

Post by ru_disa »

Twotribes, yes I realise that. I still think that having a tool that manages reinforcements automatically will smooth down things considerably. Well, for me at least!
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

You understand that adding green just recruited troops to an experienced unit LOWERS experience on that unit, right?

Yes there is however an offset to this effect. Greener troops gain experience more easily.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955

I am sure no such patch or MOD exists. Its all currently manual if you have a template for units armored/mechanized/motorized infantry or artillery, then it is a matter of adding the force type manually.
The old argument is if you add green troops the experience level drops, if you combine remnants then you retain the combat experience.
appropriate reinforcements would have to be available to have a one click option available.

Something to look forward to, though not on my must have list (no such list exists by the way, a GD1938 with x4 map size and a reasonable AI would be high on the list if I had one[:)])

That might be Strategic Command 1 or possibly 3 if it ever gets off the ground.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

(no such list exists by the way, a GD1938 with x4 map size and a reasonable AI would be high on the list if I had one)

An AI playable GD 1938, would be a great thing. Find me a programmer, that will make it into a seperate game, and make an AI for it, and I´ll be all go! A greater map size is already something I´ve been wishing for a long time... Nice to know that its high on that list that doesn´t exist ;) :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I would buy more RAM tomorrow if it could give Ernie a bigger map to work on.

The current map is wonderful, but look at ( tm.asp?m=3750186 ) for a map done for WITP:AE. Imagine playing GD1938 on such a map.

Chuck
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

So I'm thinking the solution is quite simple...

Assuming that Vic is using some kind of "template" or "establishment strength" to determine how many units make up a formation, I think you need 2 HQs

You have one "depot" HQ to which green troops are sent formed into units and from whence they are marched to the sound of the guns. You would lose readiness when you transfer these green formations to your "frontline" HQs.

Your "frontline" HQ becomes your recycling HQ where as units are unsed up you "transfer all" back to the Frontline HQ and reconstitute veteran units as and when you have the manpower.

As long as you can determine which HQ the reinforcements come from you need never lose your troops' experience. The issue would not be with the auto reinforce but rather the depots where your vets and greens get all mixed up and from where you are drawing reinforcements.
Omnia Videmus
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

I would buy more RAM tomorrow if it could give Ernie a bigger map to work on.

The current map is wonderful, but look at ( tm.asp?m=3750186 ) for a map done for WITP:AE. Imagine playing GD1938 on such a map.

Chuck

I thought about making mountains similar to these with the interior graphics mode. One thing that I like about it is that it can give a nice sense mountainous ridges. The problem though was that it does not look as if it is possible to "blend" them with other seasons. You can make the different graphics for the seasons to be the same terrain type so that they match in general, but there will be a hard edge at the hex boundary. Thus, there will be a sharp boundary between, say, summer and fall or fall and winter. With the exterior mode, I solved this problem by using borders. This actually happens for the urban hexes in my maps, but the contrast is not so stark, so you don't really notice the sharp boundary between the seasons.

I think the biggest issue with large maps is not really memory, since you can always get more, but the time between turns. The GoT map I made is ~ 100x150 with 14 regimes, and after say 15 turns or so the turns were taking about five minutes. I could upgrade my CPU, which would help, but ...
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I for one am looking forward to automatic replacements as manually doing so is rather annoying at times.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”