Create a new scenario from a saved game

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

vandorenp

Create a new scenario from a saved game

Post by vandorenp »

Someone wrote recently i could open a saved game turn in the editor and make a new scenario.

Copied a saved game into the scenario folder yet it is not viewed in the editor. What do I do?
Keydet
jwolf

RE: Create a new scenario from a saved game

Post by jwolf »

The save files end in .sav but the scenarios end in .scn so I just changed that and then you can open the save in the editor and make a scenario out of it.
vandorenp

Post by vandorenp »

Of course. Do you have to have the matching txt file?
Keydet
morvael

Post by morvael »

Only if you want the description to show up in the scenario selection list.
vandorenp

Post by vandorenp »

OK Got it to open. (i have used the editor before to mod an existing Campaogn scenario)

The sav game is from a 41 Campaign game Human German v AI Soviet. Soviets lost Dec 1942 and the game terminated. Can't make it play on. So i am looking to creat a scenario to keep it going. Loaded the last German turn where the victory is automatically awarded even by the editor.

Loaded the previous turn. Since campaign victory conditions appear hard coded I elected scenario victory conditions. So now i have to assign victory cities. 4.12 says i enter W and I can toggle between sides. It doesn't. Also when I assign points to a second city the previous ones go back to 0. Any ideas.
Keydet
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

The key first is the length of your new scenario. If it's longer than 50 turns the game will make it a campaign (with those victory conditions) even if you try to set other conditions. So in your situation you can adapt your save to a new scenario and play on for as many as 50 turns. At that point, in theory, you can repeat the process for another 50 turns; but by the end of your first 50 turns you will most likely have wiped the Soviets off the map completely.

You don't need to assign victory cities if you don't want to. They can be part of scenario victory conditions but you can leave it with just the points from casualties if you want. It is possible to set the victory cities and I remember this was a bit tricky and I kept getting it wrong, but I don't remember the details. It is in the editor manual somewhere.

Shift W does indeed switch sides, but you need to be in map mode.

Edit: Two other points I should mention that came up in an earlier thread on this topic. First, the cumulative loss stats don't get transferred cleanly so it won't start with the same data you had at the end of the campaign (unless you mod this in somehow). Second, German new arrivals are kept intact but all withdrawals are erased and have to be written back in. I did this once and it was a major hassle, checking each ground and air unit one by one.
vandorenp

Post by vandorenp »

ut all withdrawals are erased? Darn. Not looking for lots of work. 
Keydet
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

+ Production stats are lost which may impact ground/air imports/exports (airctaft/vehicles may be exported again).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
vandorenp

Post by vandorenp »

I give up on this idea. Seems to me there ought to be an automatic conversion of saved turns into a scenario.
Keydet

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”