Older Patches

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Hyding

Older Patches

Post by Hyding »

Is there anyway to get the older game patches that came before 3.4

Right now there is no choice but the out of package version and 3.4 (that I can find)

I was never able to get 3.4 to load and was very happy with the last version before it.

Unfortunately one night after another of my several dozen attempt sessions to get 3.4 to run I overwrote the older exe file
shunwick

RE: Older Patches

Post by shunwick »

You can get all the older patches from The Patches Scrolls. Put The Operational Art of War in the search field and go from there.

I think you can also get them from an FTP site as well but have forgotten how to do that. Bob will know.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I think you can also get them from an FTP site as well but have forgotten how to do that. Bob will know.

Used to you could. But I just tried to connect to that FTP site and couldn't. Matrix may have shut it down or made it non-public.

A better question is why is he having trouble installing 3.4?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ogar

Post by ogar »

@Curtis,

Perhaps the OP does not realize that 3.4 is an UPGRADE and cannot be installed as a stand-alone ? (been there, done that, got the ass-chewing)

Also, new users may not know you can have multiple parallel copies of TOAW on one machine. That is, you can copy (in WINDOWS) the directory for TOAW 3.2, and then upgrade that to 3.4. Which means you have a copy of 3.4 and a copy of 3.2 -- separately. If you do this, clearly labelled SHORTCUTS are a must. (You can also have multiple copies of the same version; I have 3 installs of 3.4 each with different graphic mods/themes (thanks, Telu !) and/or mods.)
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

Thanks for replies Curtis and Shunwick.

I found a link to the ftp in an older post that still works. Thanks for giving me the clue.
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/TheOperat ... tOfWarIII/

There were a few of us who posted about problems getting 3.4 to run when it was first released.
Some members posted possible reasons and step by step loading instructions.

I could never get any of them to work. I was always able to get earlier patches to run but 3.4
just wouldn't start properly after hitting play.

Since I miss PBEM I will eventually try again but for the last few years other games and my
disk version of TOAW and Elmer have gotten me through.

Edit: I think it was you that posted the link originally Curtis by that was two/three years ago.
Thanks for all you do for those of us who enjoy this game.
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

Lo and behold.
3.4 Loaded without a hitch. Used version in the ftp link. Previously I could only copy
the graphics and scenarios into another version but could not run 3.4. It seems to be
working fine now.

Original problem might have been with the computer I was using at the time.

and I forgot that 3.3 was included with the 3.4 patch.

Still wanted the earlier patches so thanks again.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Glad you got it working ok.

Enjoy.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”