Air Defense Systems - Rearming and Survivability

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

IronMikeGolf

Air Defense Systems - Rearming and Survivability

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Never been a duck hunter, so I don't know the doctrine. Having said that, seems to me:

1. A SAM battery shouldn't resupply in the same hex it has fired from (perhaps an exception is a Hold posture)
2. SAM batteries ought to displace after engaging (perhaps an exception is a Hold posture)

I am saying SAM batteries due to the significant launch signature and the high (tactical) value of the units.

Not sure about radar equipped gun systems. I could see those doing this, too.

Of course, doctrine should determine, so I could be blowing smoke here.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
CapnDarwin

RE: Air Defense Systems - Rearming and Survivability

Post by CapnDarwin »

Jeff,
I think most of this is self correcting. Mobile SAMs move with the forces that are attacking to provide cover versus air threats. So they don't spend a lot of time in a hex. Fixed sites and Manpads generally are located to provide the best coverage over a defending force. They will move out if threatened or fired on. As a player, I would move them around like HQs to keep Arty SEAD from hitting them. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Jim,

Consider a defense or supporting position. It's quite the possibility for a SAM unit to expend all missiles (e.g. Chap tracks in CA-4) early in the command cycle, briefly got to Screen, then flip to Resupply and then spend 20+ minutes rearming in the same hex they shot from. And get shelled several times.

At the end of the command cycle, they have several minutes to go until rearming is complete. So, I can leave them spotted and at risk to another bombardment, or move and restart the rearming.

Arty doesn't do that. I'll watch carefully now, but I think it scoots before rearming.

Jeff
Sua Sponte
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll not that lack of scooting issue. We'll have to look at how we handle them. What we don't want to do is give Arty/HQ like AI to AD units since many of them are mobile. Start to get tricky hooking in conditionals to order states, but we may have to look at something along those line to have units in hold displace after unloading and scoot before rearm. It's a valid point.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”