Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The role of artillery support

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> The role of artillery support Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The role of artillery support - 11/9/2014 9:31:45 PM   
burroughs

It seems that unless the artillery assets have range of one hex they cannot be used in the direct support role for an attack That means that the range 2 guns can only perform a preliminary bombardment prior to any attacks and it's impossible to add them to the combat planning setup which is a bit odd given that turns are two-day ones, at least in the Stalingrad to Kharkov '42 - '43 campaign.

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Post #: 1
RE: The role of artillery support - 11/12/2014 12:44:47 PM   
Vic

Hi,

Right.

With artillery you have to chose if you want to use them for a bombardment <b> or to join them in an actual attack <a> on the hex. In 99% of the cases you will not have the action points to do both with the same unit.

When they join in an actual attack on the hex they are actually moving into that hex with the rest of the units attacking it. When they use bombard they stay in the hex where they are and leisurely pump shells into the target hex.

You'll have to imagine that those range 2 units need actually to be in contact with the target hex in order to participate in a land attack for reasons of communication and coordination with the other troops.

Best wishes,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 11/12/2014 1:49:20 PM >

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 2
RE: The role of artillery support - 11/12/2014 1:30:44 PM   
burroughs

Aw, yes, I must have overlooked that possibility while considering the situation and perhaps the fact that they would move on the attack and occupy the attacked location should that be vacated by the enemy made me think it's not supposed to work that way - I am accustomed to manoeuvre warfare so that kind of automated action seemed odd, but given the hex scale it doesn't have to be only direct fire. I guess I lacked some imagination to dig that. By the way, did I mention that those DC I / DC II games are awesome? I am keeping my finders crossed for DC III and "Barbarossa". Thanks for the explanation and pointing to that possibility above.

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> The role of artillery support Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI