Guide Newbies

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

tinkyx

Guide Newbies

Post by tinkyx »

I have just started playing TOAW III, but found rather complicated. Is there any step by step explanation and walk through so that I will understand why every single move is made? Can anyone help me to start this game?
Cfant

RE: Guide Newbies

Post by Cfant »

Hi tinkyx!

Here tm.asp?m=2231066 you find a perfect guide for the most "difficult" part of TOAW, the movement/battle/combat turn planning [:)] I'm sure others can provide even more good descriptions for a new player. Have fun!
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

Hi Cfant, thanks. I will walk through it and will ask you more on the way :D
Btw, I found you are very helpful in the forum. I really like that.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

You're welcome and thank you for your nice words :) Oberst Klink has made some tutorials, I'm not sure, if you need rapid share though

http://gefechtsstand.wordpress.com/2011 ... utorial-2/

He is still active, just write him, he will help you if you have no rapidshare, as he is a very nice Oberst ;)
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

You're welcome and thank you for your nice words :) Oberst Klink has made some tutorials, I'm not sure, if you need rapid share though

http://gefechtsstand.wordpress.com/2011 ... utorial-2/

He is still active, just write him, he will help you if you have no rapidshare, as he is a very nice Oberst ;)
Danke für die Blumen, Cfant2. Anyway, here are the Tutorial slides and the Tutorial '41 scenario:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/562 ... torial.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/562 ... 0%2741.zip

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I did a detailed description of the first move in my "France 1944 D-Day" scenario that some players have found helpful:

tm.asp?m=1546619
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

thanks both. I have downloaded tutorial too.
Now, following through TOAW III's tutorial too.
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

himm..
after anonymous PO tutorial, I dont understand Tannenberg and Kasserine tutorial explanation at all.. I think those tutorials are for player who already played previous version of TOAW? I am sure those are not for beginners.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

There's a good one:

http://www.gr-8.biz/toaw/tannenberg14/tannenberg14.html

and a good YT video AAR for Kasserine '43.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZgF8OA-3A

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

hi Oberst, is there any good book to learn units and their usage as well as military strategy for games.?
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

You can start with the grand daddy of them all:

James F. Dunnigan - The Complete Handbook of Wargames
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

If by grand daddy you mean very old, yeah. [;)]

By what tinkyx says he is brand new to this stuff. The history books are the best bet. If a game is worth it's salt then it will mirror the real life capabilities of units. It can actually be a paper, rock, scissors kind of thing. tank crushes infantry, infantry kills anti tank, anti tank butchers tank. Artillery knocks them all around. Of course it's not really as simple as that except in the most basic games but it's a good general rule.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

The easiest way to get to know the combined arms concept is to use my Tutorial '43 'sandbox' scenario. A whole 1943 type Soviet Tank Corps vs. a German Inf.Div, with some armour support.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
Tutorial43Medium.jpg
Tutorial43Medium.jpg (129.41 KiB) Viewed 674 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Oberst where is this Sandbox Tut located? I checked my game and dont' see it.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

Hi Oberst

After playing tutorial 41, it just abruptly ended. How can I attach screenshot file here?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Click on 'Reply' in the upper right of this window, then check 'Embed picture in post' below the text window, then 'Click here to upload!' to browse for the picture file.
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

thanks , got it
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I looked on YouTube and didn't see anything like a tutorial. Seems like we should have one. Probably it should be something comprehensive and scripted, but I'm not up for that at this point in time. I could open a small scenario and play a few turns, then post the video. Maybe that will help. Any specific requests ?
tinkyx

Post by tinkyx »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I looked on YouTube and didn't see anything like a tutorial. Seems like we should have one. Probably it should be something comprehensive and scripted, but I'm not up for that at this point in time. I could open a small scenario and play a few turns, then post the video. Maybe that will help. Any specific requests ?
scenario

of-course , I really want that. When you do script or commentary, please mention why you are making particular move and what was the plan with that as well.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Very good idea! This could help new players a lot. I'd suggest a small, easy one like the Tannenberg-scenario. It's short and only has infantry, cavalry and artillery. So you can explain the basics very well.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”