Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Available for Download

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Available for Download Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Availab... - 11/5/2014 2:49:32 PM   
Surtur01

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East, the most detailed Eastern Front wargame ever made, has just received a huge beta update which is equivalent in terms of development time to a new expansion, making the game better than ever! This is possible four years after the release of War in the East thanks to the involvement and support of the community as well as the continued support of 2by3 Games.

The change list is so long - 77 pages! – that we can’t review it all in detail here. It includes 11 pages of new features, along with many bug fixes, scenario changes and many improvements to the equipment and device data. The overall goal is to improve game balance and historical accuracy ,as well as addressing issues that the community has requested. Among the changes are improvements to HQ Buildup, many improvements to CV calculation, air and ground combat results and reserve commitment.

Because of the number of changes, we are releasing this beta update to the community for a thorough evaluation, before we make the final touches.

Released in 2010, War in the East earned many accolades in the wargaming community by combining an unprecedented level of detail with a game on a scale to simulate the entire Eastern Front. All of this was done while maintaining playability, thanks to an intuitive interface, clever map filters and an effective report system that kept the player informed of all important events and changes.

Now, almost four years after release, support and improvements continue. The sheer magnitude of the 1.08 update matches the scale of the game. Be sure to grab this important beta update and report your findings on our War in the East forums.

The full change log of the update can be found here.

The update can be downloaded from our Members Club as long as you have Registered your copy of War in the East there. If you have not registered yet, registration is easy and gives you access to all beta updates for each registered game.

Find out more about War in the East on the official product page.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 11/5/2014 4:03:23 PM >

- Slitherine Group Producer -
Post #: 1
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 3:23:11 PM   
Denniss

http://dfiles.eu/files/osv2fdskz
Only for the german version, contains the four scenario text files that became english or did not get the german version placed during the 1.08 update.
Nur für die deutsche Version, enthält die vier Szenario Text Dateien die entweder plötzlich auf englisch daherkommen oder deren deutsche Version nicht installiert wurde.

(in reply to Surtur01)
Post #: 2
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 4:50:56 PM   
heliodorus04

Thank you very much to all involved.
I have never bought a game that had this much dedicated support this long after release.
Looking forward to testing out the new version.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I sometimes get the feeling that those involved in testing the game (WitW) are suffering from the Stockholm syndrome.

Priceless... I think I have a new signature...

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 3
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 5:00:35 PM   
DerTroof

DUMB QUESTION ALERT!

Not sure what is meant by "Beta"... does this mean the update is still being worked on, and the final version of the update is yet to come?

I ask because I haven't had time to play WITE much (still learning actually, rather slowly), and am willing to wait for the completed update to download.

Thanks!

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 4
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 5:14:55 PM   
Red Lancer

1.08 has made so many changes that the game balance cannot be fully endorsed by the few of us involved as 'official' game testers. We think we've found most of the bugs. Issuing as a beta says that it has caveats. In a perfect world we are perfect, have spotted everything and the 'beta' suffix will be dropped with no changes - let's see.

John
WitW Test Co-ordinator
WitE & WitW Scenario Designer

(in reply to DerTroof)
Post #: 5
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 5:53:04 PM   
wadortch

Hello John.

I have been playing WITE since its release and as others have written have been very impressed with the efforts to balance and improve the game.

I am somewhat awed by the depth and complexity of the change log for 1.08 and wonder if it is possible to provide a summary of what 1.08 does with respect to altering the present balance of the game. For example, a list of which changes will tend to favor the Axis and which will favor the Soviet Player. There is some of this in the Change Log but for me and perhaps other players who are less literate with respect to the coding implications such a summary would be very helpful to long time players who should be re-evaluating how to approach play of the game under 1.08.

Thanks,

Walt

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 6
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 6:44:57 PM   
hfarrish

I know you guys have done huge work here that deserves all the praise in the world...but if someone had the time, one other thing would be helpful, which would be a summary of the key changes and what they mean in practice to gameplay - certain ones are obvious (morale changes and the like) but in many cases it's difficult to discern exactly what some of the changes mean in practice when they have fairly technical/dense descriptions in the change log (replacement changes, the AA changes, the fort build changes).

I'm sure the community will get them all figured out quickly but having a one stop shop to process them at a high level would be huge...because nothing is ever good enough for us!

Thanks again.

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 7
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 7:26:18 PM   
Red Lancer

I'm no expert on 1.08 - I've been too busy with WitW!

John
WitW Test Co-ordinator
WitE & WitW Scenario Designer

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 8
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 7:55:02 PM   
nico71

quote:

The update can be downloaded from our Members Club as long as you have Registered your copy of War in the East there. If you have not registered yet, registration is easy and gives you access to all beta updates for each registered game.

Not so easy with the constant "key already used" messages. The benefits of being a honest customer.....I love DRM!

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 9
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 8:43:46 PM   
rrbill

Downloaded and using, Axis vs. AI.

So far, so good, and liking it.

(in reply to nico71)
Post #: 10
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 9:25:56 PM   
Scorcher2

Downloaded today and first problem popped up early. When loading a scenario it would not work with any of the 'Lost Battle' scenarios. I can highlight the title but no icon shows at bottom to load the scenario. I have reloaded 'Lost Battles' but still the same. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Thanks

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 11
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 9:49:29 PM   
Pelton

1. More then 50-70 planes can intercept now, so sending in 400 planes can be meet with allot more now depending on die rolls.
2. AA is much more effective
3. HQBU is allot different, just because you hit the HQBU button does not mean u get full MP's or gas. I personally used allot less, none from turns 5-12.
If you spam allot of HQBU's GHC can have a truck issue - not fun.
4. Carpets of forts is gone basicly. 3 deep is the rule, you can do more but they are not very effective. Forts fall easyer also.
5. Replacements flow ALLOT better also.

Just a few things.

GHC WitE--26 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW-- 10 - 1 - 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AwX_RKsi_c

(in reply to Scorcher2)
Post #: 12
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 10:05:30 PM   
BJP III

I don't see the "I Win" button. Am I not looking in the right place? Gary Grigsby, please fix or do somefink!

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 13
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/5/2014 10:14:00 PM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

1. More then 50-70 planes can intercept now, so sending in 400 planes can be meet with allot more now depending on die rolls.
2. AA is much more effective
3. HQBU is allot different, just because you hit the HQBU button does not mean u get full MP's or gas. I personally used allot less, none from turns 5-12.
If you spam allot of HQBU's GHC can have a truck issue - not fun.
4. Carpets of forts is gone basicly. 3 deep is the rule, you can do more but they are not very effective. Forts fall easyer also.
5. Replacements flow ALLOT better also.

Just a few things.

Yeah...those I get. It's more stuff like the HQ TOEs - I get that locking them day one prevents an issue with replacements flowing somewhere that you don't want them, but no idea what the impact of this is on HQ ops or if you ever want to set the HQ TOE higher...

But to your list I would add some others I see:

- Reserve commitments being more likely

- The change in costs for certain Sov SUs and for assigning SUs downstream

- The huge morale changes making 41/42 very rough for Soviets and 43-45 very bad for Germans

Are you sure forts are easier to destroy? I take them as harder to build, but Fort Level 3 seems pretty clearly tougher (counts as dense terrain) and in general since partial forts gain the partial power of their level to completion this seems in general to make them more powerful...that said you now do have the option to reduce fort power, whereas before you could just slow build time.

Lots of nuance in this which means a lot of work to unpack...

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 14
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/6/2014 3:33:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: nico71
Not so easy with the constant "key already used" messages. The benefits of being a honest customer.....I love DRM!

Perhaps you already registered? If you purchase while logged in, the game is automatically registered for you.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to nico71)
Post #: 15
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/6/2014 3:45:30 PM   
nico71

It took me the whole evening yesterday. The game was registered at Slitherine, but didn't show up in the members area even though it was merged with Slitherine. Some games showed up, others didn't. I did several attempts to merge it again, and after several hours WITE along with some others showed up in the games list in the members area. The list is still incomplete, but I could finally download the patch.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/6/2014 4:02:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

That's very bizarre - I'm glad you got it though. Did you communicate any of these issues to our Help Desk? If not, please open a support ticket, I'd like to make sure they have a look at your account to see how it got confused there.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to nico71)
Post #: 17
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/6/2014 4:07:58 PM   
nico71

I was just about to send a ticket when it finally worked for whatever reason. I can sent a ticket nonetheless, though.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/7/2014 1:40:36 PM   
rrbill

Using CG'41 continues successfully, but need to try other scenarios.

Read change log, wow! Have developers any other life?

Well done.

(in reply to nico71)
Post #: 19
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/7/2014 6:19:23 PM   
Denniss

Too much time at weekends I assume. At least for the data stuff I had a lot of it already prepared and tested in my own modified 41 campaign although that was extended by the new options Dominic implemented in 1.08.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 20
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/7/2014 8:07:14 PM   
SigUp

Thanks morvael and all the others for the patch.

I've looked at the newest logistics report for the game between loki and me and the contrast is stark. I love the new detailed breakdown of the refit segment. And I'm incredibly happy about exports, upgrades and swaps working. Finally the masses of planes in the pools can be put to use and the Axis allies aren't living from the hand in the mouth regarding armaments. Here's the exports under 1.07 and 1.08:

AIRCRAFT EXPORTS
1 x Fi 156C exported from Germany to Finland as Fi 156C(F)
1 x Ju 88D-1 exported from Germany to Hungary as Ju 88D-1(H)

___ Finland ___
1 x Fi 156C (1/41) imported from Germany as Fi 156C(F) (10/41)
___ Hungary ___
5 x Ju 52 (9/39) imported from Germany as Ju 52(H) (10/41)
15 x Ju 87D (1/41) imported from Germany as Ju 87D(H) (6/42)
1 x Ju 88D-1 (7/40) imported from Germany as Ju 88D-1(H) (1/42)
___ Slovakia ___
1 x Fi 156C (1/41) imported from Germany as Fi 156C(S) (10/41)
9 x He 111H-3 (9/39) imported from Germany as He 111H-3(S) (9/39)

Also, two divisions have switched to captured BT7s. By 1942 they are obsolete, but I guess my tank crews will be happier sitting in them, compared to sitting in Panzer I and IIs.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 21
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/8/2014 5:37:56 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Read change log, wow! Have developers any other life?

You would be surprised how many times real life has intervened and prevented working on the patch for as much as I would like.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 22
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/8/2014 9:43:32 PM   
Naughteous Maximus

I already found a problem with the patch. When creating "Leaders" in the editor, you can only choose (1-4) for rank instead of the menu before that gave you (1-29). Four ranks to choose from and they are all German!

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 23
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/8/2014 9:51:00 PM   
morvael

It should properly adjust this inside the code and display correct rank name when the rest of the leader's parameters will be set (nationality, restriction). I'm pretty sure it works correctly as I tested it. And it's easier to enter it that way.

< Message edited by morvael -- 11/8/2014 10:51:35 PM >

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 24
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/8/2014 11:01:39 PM   
Naughteous Maximus

I've tried it several times and reloaded the patch too and yet I cannot choose the rank. I still only get 4 options. I've tried working this on the older patch and have had no problems. I am debating whether I should delete the game and reinstall it.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 25
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/8/2014 11:54:36 PM   
Naughteous Maximus

Found another problem with the editor; seems you can no longer create hypothetical vehicles (like the Panther F) now in the Ground Element box of the editor. The ID# is now fixed.

Post #: 26
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/9/2014 2:14:20 AM   
Denniss

Ranks are working properly if you choose the nation first and if the chosen nation has nationalized rank names.
There's indeed a problem creating new elements and aircraft from scratch as you can't open the name menu for some unknown reason. Better start with copying an existing element and modify it to your needs. Will be added to the Bug list.

Post #: 27
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/9/2014 2:44:27 AM   
Naughteous Maximus

I've done everything I can in regards to the ranks, nothing has changed. I still get (1-4, that's it.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 28
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/9/2014 9:52:26 AM   
Denniss

WAD, the list has been reduced to general-type ranks + rank name is automatically changed if nation or command restriction are altered. BTW it should be 0-4.
The rank number you choose will be auto-changed to nation specific names (if existing), some nation even have different names for ground-/air-only leader types.

Post #: 29
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Ava... - 11/9/2014 11:55:24 AM   
morvael

The name thing must be fixed. Now I know why the ID was clickable :-) to facilitate entering name when empty

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Huge Beta Update Available for Download Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI