Population Policy not working as intended?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

surazal

Population Policy not working as intended?

Post by surazal »

I'm a little confused as to how the population policies work, since they don't appear to be working as documented. I have my primary race, and a secondary race I happened to colonize that's specifically geared towards a different planet type. OK, I think, I want my primary race to live on my planet type while letting the new alien race live on theirs. The problem is, this is not taking:

According to the docs, what *should* work is to take my secondary race colony as set it to "Assimilate" for Other Races and "Do Not Accept" for my primary race. I figured this would keep my home world from flooding the new world with non-native colonists, but that does not appear to be happening. Instead, passenger ship after passenger ship is dumping people from my home world on this alien planet. Even more odd, I set up a whole new colony with my home world's native population on it, and the passenger ships keep merrily ignoring that planet and placing my home world's population on the alien planet. I've tried "Do Not Accept" and "Resettle" for my own race on this colony, but nothing seems to work.

Is this a bug, or am I missing some sort of obvious flaw in my logic? It just seems like that if I tell my own race not to settle a planet, they should not just truck everyone and their grandparents over there like there's no tomorrow.

Bingeling

RE: Population Policy not working as intended?

Post by Bingeling »

You just discovered that your main race is excepted from population policies. I do think that is by design.

surazal

RE: Population Policy not working as intended?

Post by surazal »

Ah nuts. I was wondering if that was the case. The only downside is that the documentation was not entirely clear on this, so I ended up spending an hour fiddling around with different settings before I posted here. At least I know now that I need to adjust my strategy.

Thanks! [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”