War's End?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

zulurider

War's End?

Post by zulurider »

Assuming neither side surrenders - Does the war end automatically on a specific date? What's the max date it can be played?
witpqs

RE: War's End?

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: zulurider

Assuming neither side surrenders - Does the war end automatically on a specific date? What's the max date it can be played?
It is in the manual, but I think it is end of March 1946.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Thanks. The manual, who would have guessed??[8|]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: zulurider

It is in the manual, but I think it is end of March 1946.

There's is substantial evidence in the archives that it's scenario-based. I'm pretty sure I played Scen 2 to the end of April. Been years though.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I believe it's May something, 1946.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

You can also see when a scenario ends by looking in the editor. Look at the scenario info and the end date is in there.

If one side or the other reaches the VP level, you will get an auto-victory before then, but you can continue playing if you want.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

The question is, how many people have actually played till May, 1946? I'm curious because I'm guessing most Allied players would have said "ok, nice defense, you win Japan" by then.
John 21:25
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I always hate how these super long grand campaign games end with a whimper and a simple game over screen.

There should be fireworks, a printable certificate, medals, awards, movie, flyover, parade...in other words all sorts of easter eggs for being crazy enough to reach the end.[:)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

You can also see when a scenario ends by looking in the editor. Look at the scenario info and the end date is in there.

I looked, but all I could find was the number of days, not a date. Scenario 1 and 2 are both 1634 turns.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Here's a variation on the question. Since the date is in the editor, any way to extend it? Say 1948? [&:]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Here's a variation on the question. Since the date is in the editor, any way to extend it? Say 1948? [&:]

I typed in '2000' in the Turns box and it "took." Don't know if the engine has some other imposed limit inside.

When I played AI to shut-down the Japanese AI had only one base left, no ships, a few planes. Once the Soviets activate there's no way any player, no matter how bad as Allies, could take to 1948 to win.
The Moose
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

I did not know the game ended, I thought you just started another game.[:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I typed in '2000' in the Turns box and it "took." Don't know if the engine has some other imposed limit inside.

When I played AI to shut-down the Japanese AI had only one base left, no ships, a few planes. Once the Soviets activate there's no way any player, no matter how bad as Allies, could take to 1948 to win.

Thanks Steve! I'll try that! (It's definitely good news! Now if only we could start the war earlier.........[:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Thanks Steve! I'll try that! (It's definitely good news! Now if only we could start the war earlier.........[:D]

You can't, but there are date boxes there to start it later. Might be interesting to start with the scenario start map, but in the summer of 1942 with the Allied air OOB at that point, etc.
The Moose
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Well I did recently finish a long campaign. The JFBs might want to avert their eyes...

Attachments
20141031_S..hot_15Sm.jpg
20141031_S..hot_15Sm.jpg (449.63 KiB) Viewed 346 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Crikey!
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

talk about fighting to the last man!
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I'd like to see the VP screen for this.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The game was against the AI, so I don't claim any huge accomplishment. I went all the way against the AI once in the original WitP, I got to a point in this game where I just wanted to see how long it would take. I think the WitP game finished in late 1943, this one ended June 4, 1944, so the AI did put up a better fight. Though most of the last 5 months was the battle for Tokyo which made Stalingrad look like a minor skirmish. The Japanese had 16000 AV and 9 level forts there. It took the entire Allied war effort to break their back. Almost literally. Every LCU that could be put on a ship was sent to Japan. I was using some Commonwealth and Dutch units for garrisons to free up units for combat in Tokyo. Almost every Russian unit with an AV, all LCUs with an AV more than 100 (and some less), every combat engineer units, and every artillery unit was committed. There is still 42000 AV there because I didn't move anything out after Downfall. Three cities surrounding Tokyo are also full of units that got too chewed up to remain in the city and were moved out to recover. I had Southeast Asia, Southwest Pacific, and the Soviet Far East HQs within one hex to help units recover.

The good news is I didn't have that much to do the last few weeks of game time. All I had to do was shuffle damaged units out, and move repaired units back in.

Bill

Attachments
20141102_S..nshot_16.jpg
20141102_S..nshot_16.jpg (85.86 KiB) Viewed 346 times
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I lost more "on the field" on Dec. 7th than you did the whole game!!! How did the AI fair at killing capital ships? I assume you went after Japan with an eye towards conserving them. I was considering an AI game as Japan. 

ps One final question, did you use PDU on? Use "ace laden squadrons?

Return to “The War Room”